IGNORED

The Brian Clough Thread

Captain Cockblock

During the lockdown while flickering through YouTube, I’ve been watching a lot of videos and stories about Cloghie and realising what a character he was. His achievements with Derby and Forest, especially the latter were nothing short of brilliant. In this thread, I hope other BMs could share stories or their memories of this mercurial character. How would he fare in today’s game with agents and club takeovers. Would he have made a great England manager ?

Above a funny tale on how cloughie handled the crazy gang Wimbledon.

Sean Dyche cloughie story. 

Best story yet.

Edited by Captain Cockblock
  • Like 2

Forest supporter here.   His biography is a great read.   It tells a story of Brian on the the sidelines when one of his players has to come from the ground.    Cloughie wants him back in the game.    The trainer says no good, he's concussed and doesn't even know who he is.   Apparently Cloughie says "tell him he's fucking Pele and get him back on"....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I think he was a man of his time at the right time and wouldn't fit in with the football world of today.  Stuart Pearce told the story of him being called into Brian's office after his England call up and he's thinking maybe a pay rise, goes in after a few words Brian says ''hear you've got call up for England?'' ''yes Boss''...''do you think you're good enough?'' ''not sure Boss'' Brian says ''I don't now get out'...very harsh but that was Brian.

Someone asked what about when you and Peter Taylor have a disagreement....''well we go and talk about it for 20 minutes then decide I was right'' :D

• Like 2

In one interview, I think it was Viv Anderson said Cloughie took the Forrest team to a brothel on the eve of a European cup game ...:D

• Like 2

I may not be the best manager but I'm Certainly in the top 1

• Like 1

The Dammed United is one of my favourite films.  I love the quote “I wouldn’t say I was the best manager in the business but I was in the top one.”

There is a very good article on the bbc on great British football managers over the years - well worth a read.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52371056

For me it’s Bobby Robson.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ludhamlad said:

This is funny :D

Pure gold :D

13 minutes ago, cashpoint said:

The Dammed United is one of my favourite films.  I love the quote “I wouldn’t say I was the best manager in the business but I was in the top one.”

There is a very good article on the bbc on great British football managers over the years - well worth a read.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52371056

For me it’s Bobby Robson.

Good article, funny enough I watched the Damned United last night. When you look at managers that were knighted in the game, Bobby Robson, Fergie, Matt Busby, you would wonder why Cloughie never got the title Sir, his achievements were superior to most managers. Bob Paisley never received a knighthood as well.

A friend of mine, Colin Walsh, who played under Cloughie at Forrest, Tells many Great stories about him, The best Manager England never had, Even Though Walshes  main passion is at Charlton.

• Like 1

Good article here on an incident that happened on the day he was interviewed for the England job. 

https://englandmemories.com/2015/12/05/when-brian-clough-missed-out-on-the-england-job/

Bob Paisley in my mind was probably one of the best managers of his era, but he was at a top club. What Cloughy achieved at 2 understated clubs will never ever be repeated. The man was a genius no matter what anyone says. You never ever hear any of his players, even now, run him down.RIP

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Captain Cockblock said:

Good article here on an incident that happened on the day he was interviewed for the England job. 

https://englandmemories.com/2015/12/05/when-brian-clough-missed-out-on-the-england-job/

Let's face it the FA want A yes man , Not a manager that makes his decisions. Also they have to be squeaky clean, That precludes all the best ones,

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluechef said:

Let's face it the FA want A yes man , Not a manager that makes his decisions. Also they have to be squeaky clean, That precludes all the best ones,

True, Clough said that as well in an interview not long before he died. Still the same today when Roy Hodgson was appointed manager. I think the FA and players found Fabio Capello to be to much of a dictator and went back to the safety of Hogson and after that Southgate.

12 minutes ago, Captain Cockblock said:

True, Clough said that as well in an interview not long before he died. Still the same today when Roy Hodgson was appointed manager. I think the FA and players found Fabio Capello to be to much of a dictator and went back to the safety of Hogson and after that Southgate.

Woy Hodgson about as much use as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest,

• Haha 1

My favorite was when he gave a fan a bit of a slap for running onto the pitch, the sun came up with the headline THE SHIT HITS THE FAN. Cloughie didnt care he said he would do it every time a fan misbehaved.

• Like 1

Clough been interviewed by Big Ron, given his opinion on Posh and Becks. 

1 hour ago, mrcrowly said:

My favorite was when he gave a fan a bit of a slap for running onto the pitch, the sun came up with the headline THE SHIT HITS THE FAN. Cloughie didnt care he said he would do it every time a fan misbehaved.

Was going to mention that but you got there first .... He had some balls to do that . A very good boss with a underrated football team that won few trophies including the European cup twice ... 

• Like 1

Didn’t he used to stop the team bus at a pub on the way to away games and tell everyone to have a pint? 

• Like 1

I know it’s not Clough related but there was an article about the 30 most hated footballers (or more accurately people involved in football).

Number 3 was Harald Schumacher (German goalkeeper in 1982 World Cup).  I loved the quote about the poll:

“3. Harald Schumacher. In a French poll, Harald Schumacher came above Adolf Hitler as the nation’s most despised figure. “

https://www.givemesport.com/1566083-fourfourtwo-name-the-30-most-hated-people-in-football

if you haven’t seen the tackle it was appalling - it makes de Jong’s in the 2010 final  look not even worthy of a ticking off!

• Like 1

@cashpoint very good read. Interesting to see Jose number two on the list. He is the nearest personality I have seen on par with Cloughie. Great wit, confidence, shrewd, always clashing with his board of directors over money.

The sad thing about Jose which is also on par with Cloughie is the decline in these great managers career. Cloughie spent too long at forest on the back of his past achievements, it was killing both himself and the club. I see the same thing with Jose, he seems to be embittered now and I think he should bow out of the game gracefully when the inevitable will occur at Spurs. 

(Love the tale with the ghetto baster and the crazy gang):DAmid all the funny tales etc, what an utterly fantastic achievment to take a team who at the time were basically a rundown cornershop of a club, and eventually take them to the league title and become European champions......twice, a time when you really had to be champions to win the ultimate European club trophy, unlike todays runners up also-rans, he was a one of a kind never to be repeated.

Edited by vimto66
  • Like 1

I suppose the man we’ve missed out on who was an integral factor in Cough’s  triumphs was the great Peter Taylor, it’s sad they fell out with each other as Taylor died before Clough. Taylor was one of the best talent spotters if not the best the game has produced. Today he would’ve made a great Director of Football, running the transfer ins and out of a club. 

Below is Clough being regretful of not buying the Hatchet with Taylor. 

He always hammered my team,Plymouth Argyle.

Watched him a few times and always scored.

Pity his injuries shortened his playing career.

• Like 1

Great story by Dean Saunders explains how Clough tried to sign him.