IGNORED

Fly or Private Car from Bangkok to Koh Chang?

PBJTIME

Is it better to fly or take a private car from Bangkok to Koh Chang? I understand that it takes about 5 1/2 hours to drive and the flight is about an hour...but you have to add in the travel time to the airport and then the wait time because you aren't going to get there 10 minutes before your flight...and then it's a 30 minute drive from the airport to the ferry for Koh Chang...so really, you are look at probably at least 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours for the flight. Since there will be several of us, I'm thinking the private car would be easier...maybe a little slower than the flight but probably a lot cheaper.

Anyone have any thoughts or angles about it that I might not be thinking about? 

I've done this flight, it takes 30 minutes. The problem is Bangkok Air owns the airport at Trat so there's no competition on fares. I think I paid 2600 and arrived at Emerald Cove Resort just after 2 PM. Had I taken a minibus it probably would have taken 2-3 hours more. I won't bother flying to Trat again, it was just something to cross off my bucket list. Nice view flying over Koh Samet though. 

Retired

I took a taxi from Bangkok for 3000 and the driver refused to take it on the ferry. Said he didn't want to climb the steep hills. I deducted 300 baht from his fare and he wasn't happy about it but neither was I. 

Retired

I found these prices on a Koh Chang website.

Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) 4,200bt 4,400bt 5,000bt (4 pax with ferry tickets, extra adult +100bt)
Bangkok hotel 4,300bt 4,500bt 5,200bt (4 pax with ferry tickets, extra adult +100bt)
Don Mueang Airport (DMK) 4,600bt 4,800bt 5,400bt (4 pax with ferry tickets, extra adult +100bt)
Trat Airport (TDX) 1,800bt 2,000bt 2,300bt (4 pax with ferry tickets, extra adult +100bt)
Pattaya hotel 3,500bt 3,700bt 4,200bt (4 pax with ferry tickets, extra adult +100bt)

The private transfers price includes the Koh Chang ferry tickets and all tolls for the expressways. It does not include food and drink along the way. You can dictate the stops as and when needed. All drivers have also been told to keep their speeds down – you’re more likely to tip them after all but again, you are in charge so can ask them to reduce still further.

It does mention on the site that they take the 'fast' ferry. 

Travel time to the ferry piers is around 4.5 hours from Suvarnabhumi Airport, with collection from central Bangkok hotels adding an extra 45 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic and where you are staying. This would include a couple of service station stops for diesel, toilet breaks, food and drinks.

Considering the flight is $100 USD one way for each person, I think the private transport is the way to go.