Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Video connections ...

Danolo

I have two desktop computers; one with HDMI connections and the other with DVI-I connectors.

In both cases the monitors have only the same connections.

I want to switch monitors... the DVI-I monitor is brighter and a bit larger.

As i understand it, DVI-I is older technology. I did see some adapters that I presume will work, but there was some mention of needing an additional audio connection?  Do any of you GURUs know about this?

Here's the adapters I found on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/CableCreation-2-PACK-Gold-Plated-Adapter-Converter/dp/B01FM52438/ref=asc_df_B01FM52438/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=335118530598&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18276402939010694274&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000841&hvtargid=pla-442286161183&psc=1

In the bullet points description it says:  "Audio must be transmitted separately".

How do I do that?

----------

As an alternative solution, I suppose I could switch the video output cards from each machine, but I'm a little hesitant to do that.

I look forward to your advice.

Thanks

DVI is a video signal only. So how do you currently get audio through the dvi monitor? 

5 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

DVI is a video signal only. So how do you currently get audio through the dvi monitor? 

@taylor1975

Thanks .. I'm not sure....

Ok, so I have a headset plugged into a USB port which works. So its not technically 
"through the DVI monitor".

So, is that the short answer?  I must use a audio device ( headset, speaker, etc ) to get sound?

So, if I switch monitors presumably that will be the same.

Does that sound right?

So, what about those adapters? Will they work for video?  Will the quality be good?

Thanks

Edited by Danolo

1 hour ago, Danolo said:

@taylor1975

Thanks .. I'm not sure....

Ok, so I have a headset plugged into a USB port which works. So its not technically 
"through the DVI monitor".

So, is that the short answer?  I must use a audio device ( headset, speaker, etc ) to get sound?

So, if I switch monitors presumably that will be the same.

Does that sound right?

So, what about those adapters? Will they work for video?  Will the quality be good?

Thanks

Yes thats the short answer. Your audio comes from the computer as the monitor cannot produce it with a dvi cable.

Switch monitors and the situation will be the same.

The adaptor should work, its just a realignment of pins in different places. Quality wise, a bit harder to say ...but i would bet its the same.

• Like 2

"Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted"
I don't know who said it, but its very true.
I looked at the back of my computer, and its got two  DVI-1 ports in addition to the HDMI port it currently uses.

Now, the monitor I want to plug into this computer has a DVI-D port.

So, my question is: Can I plug in the cable from the monitor with the DVI-D connector, into the DVI-I socket on my computer?

It looks like it will fit.

I had to draw this out to make any sense of it all.

I will consult google as well, and finally what I might do is shut down both computers and test fit the connect.  IF it fits, I'll be tempted to boot it up and see what happens, but I'd really not like to damage anything. I can't afford a new video card or monitor right now.

---- later

I found a good page that explains it all... in too much detail, perhaps. 

http://www.playtool.com/pages/dvicompat/dvi.html

In any event it appears that I CAN plug in the DVI-D cable into the DVI-I socket on my main computer. If i understand it correctly, i will lose the  analog signal and be solely digital.

I'm going to try it and i'll let you know what happens.

Wow, what a difference a good monitor makes!

I am going to make this switchover permanent as soon as I get the adapter to connect the old monitor.

So that gives rise to more questions:

1. What is this analog content that I am now not getting?

2. Will an adapter restore it? Do I care? The adapters are not expensive.

FLASH!   I'm stupid!  I had an idea that I could see if there was a VGA port and feed it into the old monitor,,, so I'm looking at the back of the video card and i see a few black plugs... I pull one out and its a HDMI port!

So I can make switch now and everything will work.

I still need to know about my questions above. Anyone know? Taylor?

Success! I got the computers and monitors moved and its all working well.