IGNORED

Poseidon’s Wine Cellar - Jomtien Complex

Poseidon’s Wine Cellar is the first restaurant on the right as you enter Jomtien Complex from Thappraya.

I’ve walked past a few times and thought, from decor etc, that this place was a slightly upmarket restaurant but hadn’t really looked at the menu. So I thought I’d give it a try.

There are some tables inside and more outside on the terrace. I think they expect most customers to choose outside. I sat inside in the air con. There was a large family group and a couple of other people.

To be honest, I was struggling to find something I wanted when I saw the menu. Starter was no problem as there was a decent selection of salads, cold starters, warm starters and soups. A lot of the choices were available in small or large size. The main courses were a limited selection of ‘typical’ German dishes. Veal, escalope, currywurst, kebab. There was also a grill section with steaks etc and a small Thai section. There was a daily specials list with one starter, one main and one dessert. 

A basket of bread with a selection of spreads (butter, soft cheese and a third I couldn’t identify) was provided. No service charge.

DDBD2E70-8B3C-43D4-ACD6-301349E1EF8E.jpeg

I started with the small Caesar Salad, which was fine. Nothing to write home about, not a lot of dressing, but fresh and tasty enough.

F8CEBF7D-41D9-4BA4-89D7-46B2093979BD.jpeg

I chose meatballs as a main, which was from the Daily Specials. It was excellent. It came with a carrot & swede (and maybe potato?) mash and onion gravy. I really enjoyed the meatballs and the quantity was as much as I could manage.

5E98BC7A-5BC0-4AEA-A2E2-055522D922B1.jpeg

I had a bottle of water and a glass of House Merlot. It was served chilled, which is a major crime! Given they sell wine and have a climate controlled room to store it, I didn’t expect to get chilled wine. Once I tasted it, however, I understood why. It really wasn’t very good.

The service wasn’t brilliant. There was a long wait between starter and main course - I think the (large, German) chef was busy with the mains for the big family group. No big deal, I wrote a lot of this review while waiting :-). The waiters cleared away and served by reaching across the bread & wine glass from the other side of the table rather than from next to me, where there was plenty of room. Just didn’t know how to do the job. They also took away the bread when they served the main course.

So, in summary, the place wasn’t really what I expected and I’m unlikely to go back. However, I’ve no doubt the typical German dishes here would be very good indeed if you fancied something like that. It’s clearly popular with German expats and tourists.

My total bill was 730 baht.

• Like 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

26 minutes ago, davidge said:

the (large, German) chef 

The chef is from the Netherlands (also known by some people as Holland).

Agree with you abut the quality of the service staff. You would expect better in a place like this....

Edited by Halfaboy
sp

6 minutes ago, Halfaboy said:

The chef is from the Netherlands (also known by some people as Holland).

Agree with you abut the quality of the service staff. You would expect better in a place like this....

Thanks. Given the German menu I assumed he was German.

On 06/01/2020 at 20:13, davidge said:

Poseidon’s Wine Cellar is the first restaurant on the right as you enter Jomtien Complex from Thappraya.

Thanks for the review.

I used to buy some red wine at this place when I was a tourist on a few weeks trip. After I was a regular (resident now I guess) I found their red wine offerings to be expensive and not all that great. I found other options I liked better. To be honest, the Food Mart selection is about as good and costs a lot less. My favorite place for wine these days is the Wine Connection places.

I was wondering about the level of the food at this place and your review seems to be on target for what I observed while buying a little wine.

My last few stops there (maybe 6 months ago), I had the GF with me. To be honest, I felt a little straight hate. Maybe I was being a little paranoid.

• 8 months later...

C8F4C9BC-D7E6-4ED6-96B9-14749C7B1FCA.jpeg

• 2 years later...
On 06/01/2020 at 20:47, davidge said:

Thanks. Given the German menu I assumed he was German.

I looked at the menu last night and a guy came out and chatted to me. He said he was German. I might give it a go, but when I was looking at the menu, nothing jumped out at me.

Christmas menu is up, looks impressive but so it should at 2,400 baht :)

37 minutes ago, penboy said:

I looked at the menu last night and a guy came out and chatted to me. He said he was German. I might give it a go, but when I was looking at the menu, nothing jumped out at me.

Christmas menu is up, looks impressive but so it should at 2,400 baht :)

Not wanting to go too far off topic, but Yupins is probably the best of the restaurants in the Complex IMO. A few set menus if you want a 3-course meal and consistently decent food.