Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Long layovers on the way back

Kidzer0918

Hey I am trying to book my next trip but I am noticing that the layovers on the way back are crazy long. I’m looking at 10-13 hours with various start times ranging between 5pm and 11pm. There are a few stops in Korea and also Singapore. Last trip I had a midnight to 0800 layover in Singapore but just stayed in the airport the whole time. Is it worth going out and exploring? If so any recommendations? I still havnt booked my flight just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you not into shopping, museums, architecture or want to see Buddha's tooth nothing much else with the short time frame.

From memory is a taxi to city around SGD 40 and takes 30-40 minute.

IMO; counting Butterflies at Changi is the better option

Book a layover in Manila, monger on the way home.

................................................................................................................

One of my best flights home from BKK had a 16 hour stopover in Shanghai. The airline provided a free hotel room where I got some sleep as well as walking around the area a bit. I arrived in LA feeling more rested than any of my other trips from Asia. 

20 minutes ago, Kidzer0918 said:

Hey I am trying to book my next trip but I am noticing that the layovers on the way back are crazy long. I’m looking at 10-13 hours with various start times ranging between 5pm and 11pm. There are a few stops in Korea and also Singapore. Last trip I had a midnight to 0800 layover in Singapore but just stayed in the airport the whole time. Is it worth going out and exploring? If so any recommendations? I still havnt booked my flight just wondering.

What airline are you trying to book with?

I just returned home from Thailand with a 2 1/2 hour layover in Seoul Korea.

With going through transfer/security gave me little over an hour in the Korean Air Lounge before going to the gate.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

What airline are you trying to book with?
I just returned home from Thailand with a 2 1/2 hour layover in Seoul Korea.
With going through transfer/security gave me little over an hour in the Korean Air Lounge before going to the gate.
LeoTex

I don’t have an airline picked out yet I’m going to look more into it today.

where are you flying from in the US?  If you look on the airlines internet site instead of looking for the cheapest flight on travel internet sites you can usually avoid the long layovers.

EVA usually has decent prices with short layovers in Taipei from several USA locations

Back to the US. You shouldn't have more then 2 - 3 hours layover.  Korean, EVA, Delta, I'm sure there are others, but those I have flown.  I intentionally plan a 3 -4 hour layover so i have time to get a shower and change clothes before the long slog back to the mainland.  As others have said, Get off the aggregator sites and book directly with the airline.

Thanks I’ll check out the sites directly. I think it’s just the times I am trying to leave.

I would agree with all of the above and say that there should be no reason for that long a layover.  If I did ever have to have long one and even for short ones that usually end up with always buy one of the priority lounge access passes unless flying business where get it as part of tkt.  Really think there good value in these lounges in most airports.

Flying from The States to BKK I prefer a long layover in Japan. Get a good nights sleep and finish the last 7 hour flight in the morning. Depends on your nationality and if you can leave the airport no visa. 

If you are looking to fly a specific airline (i.e.,  to use miles), you may not have a choice but to take a long layover.

I wanted to cash out Korean miles before they devalue their program next year.  My options were to fly into Bangkok via ICN and arrive around midnight (HATE late night arrivals) OR to fly them back from BKK to LAX.  Flying Korean BKK-LAX, I did not see a way to avoid a very long layover, so I am stuck with 6 hours at ICN after an overnight flight.

That said, cashing out soon-to-be-useless Korean miles for first class means I can't complain too much about a 6 hour layover.

With Singapore, I was able to build in a layover for a few days to do some sightseeing.  That may be an option for the OP.

• Like 1