IGNORED

Travellers cheques vs ATM

pockets88

i have being told by a thai woman who travels to bkk allot that i will get a better exchange rate if i use travelers cheques instead of atms, after reading some of the post's about cards being clonedi am now thinking this might be an option

anybody got any info on the subject?

thank's

i have stayed in thailand a few years now and i find that the atm exchange rate is as high as any rate i have seen on the exchange booths also i find the atm convienient and i will only use one in a shopping mall or bank not outside ( kasikorn or siam)reduces your risk of cards being cloned i believe.

From my travels around the world ATM give a really good rate the rivals some banks in the country of travel, NOT all the time, but most of the times, there is always a daily withdrawal limit, so you would have to pull out daily if you are expecting to spend some money. Countries that I found ATM to be have better rates than banks were in Greece (Jan 2008), France (July 2007), Hong Kong (Nov 2007 & August 2008), China Mainland, Beijing, Shanghai (August 2008), New Zealand (Dec 2008), and Australia (Dec-Jan 2008/9).

post-22007-0-43851400-1348179382.png

Check it before you Wreck it !!!!

Gamora: Quill, your ship is dirty.

Peter Quill: She has no idea. If she had a black light, this ship would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

There is pro's and cons for both.

I have tried trips using both. TBH I won't use a card solely again! Some draw backs with cards:

1. daily withdrawal limits

2. Card being stopped

3. losing card

4. withdrawal charges

OK to explain some of these. All cards will have withdrawal limits, mine was 15k the 1st time and 20k the second time. This never caused any problems until I came to pay the hotel. They would not take a card! There was a 18k bill and I was left high and dry. In the end eventually went into a bank and got it sorted, but cost me (as expected).

The times I have used my card it has been stopped EVERYTIME! I have called the bank before I go but they still stop it! I ended up in severe shit the 1st time they did it as I was in Isaan alone my mates in Pattaya and took the bank 2 days to sort it!

I have not lost my card but what happens if you do? Its not as if you have a copy card!

You will be charged for every withdrawal, unless you have a bank that offers this service free.

For me, its cheques everytime now, with the card purely as back up!

Wha's like us?

I have used my Nationwide account every time i have been to Thailand and i have never had a problem and always got good exchange rates

I have used my Nationwide account every time i have been to Thailand and i have never had a problem and always got good exchange rates

Not just the problems I have experienced but others have been robbed, had their cards duplicated etc.. Cards, although convenient carry inherent dangers regardless of exchange rates and free use.

Thailand is one of the areas in the world where most card vendors black list. I used to have an online business and cards in various countries would be denied, Thailand is one such country, due to high levels of fraud and counterfeiting. You always run a risk using an ATM card. Not only in Thailand but UK as well. In Thailand, that risk is greatly increased.

I would always advise anybody travelling to take cheques. They are so much safer and if you lose them there are 24/7 numbers to call to have them refunded.

Each to their own and what ever suits you is obviously best for you. Personally I prefer a safer option without the worry my account is being max'd out :D

Wha's like us?

same for me

they dont charge a withdrawal fee either

with no doubt, ATM.

Number6-01.jpg

The prisoner: “I’m not a number, I’m a free manâ€

A gogo girl: "i'm not a number, i'm a free woman"

I've used my card with no problems in Patttaya, I got a much better exchange rate with my card rather than changing money at the travel agents.

I'll just be taking my card with me this time!

If your card was lost/stolen how long would it take for a replacement to be sent.?

This could seriously mess with plans?

i get my kicks below the waistline sunshine

If your card was lost/stolen how long would it take for a replacement to be sent.?

This could seriously mess with plans?

On my last trip, I got one sent to the hotel in one week.

BTW - the Nationwide Card pays the very best rates without any deductions. The present 'Visa' rate is 52. Better than anything else available. For those taking TCs just remember you probably have to pay a fee to get them and net net they are probably no better than cash on the street - now at 50.5 ish.

Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder.

you get a better rate with travellers cheques but you do get charged a little for changing them.nationwide dont charge at the atms.change cash at the little place in LK Metro always a little more on the rate

So what's the best places to use an ATM in Pattaya?

I always use one of the two banks located in the Big C complex

Edited by zilly

I found useing my cash card no problem but the exchange rates a bit tough and also you have the fees as well so last time I took alot of cash in my currency and always got a top rate at the currency exchange windows around town when changing it, better than changing it at home and bringing baht.

On my last trip, I got one sent to the hotel in one week.

Exactly! A week with no card? Great fun especially if you are only there for 2 weeks.

I have used my card several times and did a trip with card only and will NEVER do that again!

I got a stop on my card and took 2 days to lift the stop! These 2 days was hell on earth! So a week ..........

Cards are not worth the worry or trouble you have MUST have a back up regardless.

At least with TC's you can get them back if stolen and you always have the card as back up! That is all I will ever use a card for now, back up.

Those who say you get a better rate, maybe so, but for the sake of 1 or 2 baht is it really worth the gamble?

Wha's like us?

Exactly! A week with no card? Great fun especially if you are only there for 2 weeks.

I have used my card several times and did a trip with card only and will NEVER do that again!

I got a stop on my card and took 2 days to lift the stop! These 2 days was hell on earth! So a week ..........

Cards are not worth the worry or trouble you have MUST have a back up regardless.

At least with TC's you can get them back if stolen and you always have the card as back up! That is all I will ever use a card for now, back up.

Those who say you get a better rate, maybe so, but for the sake of 1 or 2 baht is it really worth the gamble?

I would not take a card without back-up. I always have cash and another bank's debit card with me, so even though I had to wait a week I was not in any sort of trouble.

As for 1 or 2 baht. Lets say 2 on 50 = 4%. On a £2,500 holiday that is £100 - quite a few extra LTs. :GoldenSmile1:

Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder.

I only take cards with back up . last year my Nationwide card got stopped because i was only taking small amounts out ,at one time, They said for security reasons, they thought my card had been cloned. Also you get the rate of the day , if you are unshore take both ,

I only take cards with back up . last year my Nationwide card got stopped because i was only taking small amounts out ,at one time, They said for security reasons, they thought my card had been cloned. Also you get the rate of the day , if you are unshore take both ,

I always write to Nationwide and let them know I'm away in LOS, how long for and how much I anticipate withdrawing each day. I never have problems

Its the bank charges that are the killer with ATMs. The best way is to open a local bank account - which can be done even if many banks tell you that its ' not allowed'. Bring in or transmit a load of cash for your stay and your in business. Forget TCs - a thing of the past nowadays.