IGNORED

Thai students rank well below average in reading, writing and science versus 79 other countries new study reveals, China number one

The Pattaya News

A new study shows that Thai students are consistently underperforming in the classroom. According to the 2018 OECD Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) report ─ which measures the ability of 15-year-olds in science, reading and mathematics, Thai students scored below the international average in all three categories. The study, which was conducted last year but release […]

The post Thai students rank well below average in reading, writing and science versus 79 other countries new study reveals, China number one appeared first on The Pattaya News.

Click To View The Pattaya News Website

https://thepattayanews.com/newsletter/

Check out our Youtube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCznGH-m-TAn2iqTYQL5yOcA

USA above both UK and Australia, how did that happen? 5555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

Below the international average, well at least 49% of countries would be below average.

For anyone who knows how Thai schools work, no surprise and been like it for years and years.

Slow news week this week?

• Like 2

Just now, WhiteThai said:

USA above both UK and Australia, how did that happen? 5555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

Study was conducted by an American.... :08:

From the study...

"Regionally, only Indonesia and the Philippines performed worse than Thailand."

" Thai officials indicated they plan to contact Phillippine Embassy in Bangkok to help with teacher recruitment."

To follow the logic... The Phillippines is one of the few countries that performed worse than Thailand SOOOO, let us get teachers from the Phillippines to teach us. :Crazy1:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, GorGuy said:

From the study...

"Regionally, only Indonesia and the Philippines performed worse than Thailand."

" Thai officials indicated they plan to contact Phillippine Embassy in Bangkok to help with teacher recruitment."

To follow the logic... The Phillippines is one of the few countries that performed worse than Thailand SOOOO, let us get teachers from the Phillippines to teach us. :Crazy1:

It's all about the money.

Philippine teachers will work for less money than native English speakers.   Philippine teachers that work in Thailand earn lower salaries than native English speaking teachers - BUT - it is more money than a Philippine teacher would earn IF they were teaching in the Philippines.  I know native English teachers living in Pattaya that used to go to staff meetings at the Thai schools they worked at.  They would sit in the back of the staff room and laugh at the way some Philippine teachers pronounced words or spoke in sentences that failed to make sense.   The native English teachers told me that the Philippine teachers at the school would ask the native English speaking teachers to proof read their worksheets before they printed them out so they could correct the errors before making fools out of themselves by giving out the worksheets with poor English grammar on them.  So, as a general rule - in regards to teaching English - some Philippine teachers are below the level of native English speaking teachers - however; if their field is Maths or Science - the Philippine teachers were just as good as anyone - and sometimes better!

If the school has a budget for their teachers and the Administration can hire Philippine teachers for less money than they budgeted for - then, ta daa - somebody gets to rake some cash off of the transaction.

In regards to Thailand's academic 'performance' vs other countries:

Chinese, Korean and Japanese parents push their children academically.  They push them VERY hard!  Competition is fierce in those countries for good paying jobs.  Chinese, Korean and Japanese parents hire tutors, pay for online English classes for their kids to attend after school hours and on weekends - often instead of having their children play team sports.  in contrast: many Thai parents don't even know they have kids - because they live with their grandparents  in Isaan or the Thai father ran away after getting his Thai girlfriend pregnant and never met his kid.  It is painful to write that - but it is true...There is a very low priority to learning for Thai kids and their parents fail to push their children to produce academically to anywhere near the extent northern Asian parents do.  

One more thing - the native English speaking teachers I know that are living in Pattaya have told me that schools in Thailand do NOT teach world Geography or world History classes (Such as information about the Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Viking or Aztec cultures (To name a few.).  Thai schools DO teach Thai Geography and Thai History during grades 1-12.  That failure is on the school Administration and the Minister of Education for the low information curriculum used in Thai schools.  A large number of families with Farang fathers have their children attend expensive 'International Schools' in Bangkok, around Pattaya and on Phuket because most of the classes are taught in English and those schools prepare the students for enrolling in 'overseas' Universities.  A degree from a Thai University has low value on the world market (International employers know that a number of Thai students bribe their way through University) - and also a University degree obtained at a Thai University is worth very little - even in Thailand...There is also speculation that the Thai elites and Government only want the general population to be smart enough to run the machines in the factories and dumb enough to never complain.

For example: I had hooked up with a hot bar girl from Paradise A Go-Go on Walking Street and she spoke excellent English.  I asked her where she had learned how to to speak English so well.  She replied; 'At University'.  I asked her what she studied and I was flabbergasted when she replied 'Engineering' and she had taken English classes all the way through school.  I asked her if she had graduated.  She said, 'Yes' and that she had worked her way through a Bangkok University by being a bar girl in Soi Cowboy.  I asked her why she did not have a job in her field of study.  She told me that she had gotten a job right out of University after graduating - designing boats in Rayong.  The problem was: the job only paid 15,000 baht a month.  She said that she survived a year on that amount of money and then she moved to Phuket where she got a job designing boats in Phuket City. She said that job paid her 20,000 baht a month.   Well, her mother needed money to run the family farm, so the girl went to Pattaya to work as a bar girl and she said she was earning over 100,000 baht a month at Paradise A Go-Go.  She did have beautiful, HUGE tits!!!  This happened a few years ago.  I tried to call her a few times since those days and hopefully re-connect with her but she said she was living back on her family farm, helping her mother.  

So much for a professional degree from a Thai University and salaries working at a job in the area of study for a Thai person...

Edited by Komando

Just a heads up to take the results with a grain of salt. China for example only took data from the 4 districts with the highest educational level. They excluded 25% of the poor performing students (and only in the Shanghai area) and the better students are disproportionately represented. They should probably be about 50 points less, more if they included rural folk.

They cherry pick schools, regions and students in many countries. In Israel for example, they exclude schools that follow the semi-religious curriculum. They also exclude ultra-orthodox and Arab schools. What's left is about 50% of the schools. I've heard that in Austria they picked the best students from each class.

There are also countries where the students get to practice for the test. The focus of the lessons given by the teachers are similar to what they get on the PISA test.

If every country just randomly picked students then it would be more reliable, but a lot of countries care more about their reputation.