Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Benjawan Poomsan Becker - Advanced Readers

herds

I just finished the Benjawan Poomsan Becker Intermediate after quite a slow read through, and was wondering if anyone had read the 'advanced' book? Is it really advanced? I found the intermediate quite easy throughout but feel that the advanced might too much of a jump forward.

Anyone know of any other books that are around the BPM intermediate level? roleplays and short paragraphs mainly.

To be honest I've totally scrapped all learning via books/audio and am just learning straight via my teacher. I think at least learning this way your getting the most relevant and upto date way Thai language is being spoken presently. Have found too often that some resources are stuck in the dark ages and even have Thai which is far too dated.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

I do agree with you about the bit about how thai is actually spoken by thai people today, a lot of resources do teach what seems like archaic stuff to most thai people, that I think comes across as very formal when spoken.

So do you do any studying by yourself? or just the time spent with the teacher?

Edited by herds

I have started using Pimsleur's Thai languages. Do you think that this is teaching the right form of Thai? I mean the first example was picking up a Thai girl on a bus and you being a Farang guy chatting her up. After that I was hooked. Any other methods work or suggestions?

Cheers,

Mike

"la morte non viene mai da sola"

"I did not tell half of what I saw, for I knew I would not be believed..." Marco Polo

I do agree with you about the bit about how thai is actually spoken by thai people today, a lot of resources do teach what seems like archaic stuff to most thai people, that I think comes across as very formal when spoken.

So do you do any studying by yourself? or just the time spent with the teacher?

Well I have to 1.5 hour sessions a week (weds and sat). Each lesson I have to write a diary on whatever subject I decide to write about and this gets reviewed and corrected each lesson. We also chat about general stuff on the tv/news etc.

In between lessons I have to enter all the new rules/phrases/words into a notebook which acts as a good reference guide as well as writing the diary. I usually practice different ways of saying things based on what I've learnt as well as trying to absorb the new stuff. I find the best way for myself to practice is thinking how I would say something during my everyday activities be it at work/stuff I do with friends etc.

I also try and watch a bit of Thai TV a few times a week to get a good accent and although they speak way too fast I've found it helps funny as it sounds in my understanding. My teacher used to tell me I sounded either like someone from Issan or a katoey when saying certain things. Have sorted that out now thank god.

Shes helped me loads with the cultural aspect of saying stuff in the correct context or situation and all the various ways of saying things which have certain packages which dont really make sense when translated literally. This sort of advice and guidance you just cant get from a book.

I've got a long long way to go but I enjoy it and am not pressuring myself to run before I can walk. I'll be more than happy if I can be pretty fluent in 3 years or so. Then it'll be onto reading and writing :unsure:

I have started using Pimsleur's Thai languages. Do you think that this is teaching the right form of Thai? I mean the first example was picking up a Thai girl on a bus and you being a Farang guy chatting her up. After that I was hooked. Any other methods work or suggestions?

Cheers,

Mike

I have used Pimsleur's and I know Ajay75 has well. I can tell you that it is not bad for learning basics BUT the down side of it is that it is not realistic to normal conversation. When I started with my Thai teacher she told me I had a good base, but what I learned was not what is used. A lot of it is very proper/too polite and would not be used in day to day talk.

I have used Pimsleur's and I know Ajay75 has well. I can tell you that it is not bad for learning basics BUT the down side of it is that it is not realistic to normal conversation. When I started with my Thai teacher she told me I had a good base, but what I learned was not what is used. A lot of it is very proper/too polite and would not be used in day to day talk.

Good points and I agree but I think Pimslars is the perfect starting point for beginners. It gives a good grounding of sentence structures and forming simple phrases to find your way around and being able to say things. I'm glad I started with this and stuck with it for a good few months.

Good points and I agree but I think Pimslars is the perfect starting point for beginners. It gives a good grounding of sentence structures and forming simple phrases to find your way around and being able to say things. I'm glad I started with this and stuck with it for a good few months.

I do agree. It started me off in the right direction, and I would recommend using it when first learning as you said. I remember first using it I could not even say 'thank you'. I laugh looking back how I had difficulties just trying to say words when listening to the CDs...lets not get into tones, that is a forever battle lol

Well I have to 1.5 hour sessions a week (weds and sat)...

Ajay - how did you manage to find a teacher ? I've got a couple of books and the Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone courses but am convinced that a 'live' teacher is the only way to perfect tones. I'm still searching for one and have so far only found the Berlitz place which wants to charge a fortune and supervise all bookings. I realise that I might get more structured learning, but ideally would like fees to go directly to the teacher (and not 50% to Berlitz).

The main thing i got out of the Pimsleur stuff was structure of sentences.

ajay - has your teacher not suggested you start to learn to read?

Edited by herds