IGNORED

Need WiFi router/repeater for condo

Explorer8939

My router has fairly strong WiFi throughout the building, but only supports one user per condo. So, what I need is a WiFi box that logs onto the WiFi signal and then works like a router hub in creating its own wifi network.

The Wireless Access devices I have seen use Ethernet, I need one that gets signal via WiFi. Do they exist?

18 minutes ago, NotASexTorist said:

The device mentioned in the article requires an ethernet connection to the router to work. OP is looking for a WiFi to WiFi access point.

This article mentions one option of using a laptop as a WiFi access point.
https://www.connectify.me/blog/free-virtual-wifi-hotspot-share-internet/

Edited by forcebwithu

3 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

The device mentioned in the article requires an ethernet connection to the router to work. OP is looking for a WiFi to WiFi access point.

That isn't the only device mentioned in the article. i certainly wasn't recommending the Cybershield Hub, as that has other uses.

You need to read the whole article;

If using a router other than the Cyber Shield Hub, make sure it has WISP and MAC cloning (optional) in order to work.

How it works, is that the devices you want to access the internet connect to the travel router WiFi network. The travel router in turn connects to the hotel WiFi using a technology called WISP. The Hotel WiFi network will only see the single MAC address of the travel router. All the other internet devices MAC addresses will not be visible to the hotel network as they connect to the travel router WiFi.

10 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Not a bad suggestion; https://support.connectify.me/article/125-how-can-i-share-a-hotel-s-single-wi-fi-connection-with-all-my-devices

You need something like this.

• Wifi WAN (external facing interface)
  • Small form factor
  • Can be powered with a USB

There are other similar products if you look around. The key question to ask one self is it worth 100+ USD to connect to a hotel wifi?

spacer.png

• 3 months later...
On 07/09/2019 at 19:51, Explorer8939 said:

My router has fairly strong WiFi throughout the building, but only supports one user per condo. So, what I need is a WiFi box that logs onto the WiFi signal and then works like a router hub in creating its own wifi network.

The Wireless Access devices I have seen use Ethernet, I need one that gets signal via WiFi. Do they exist?

I've setup a few of these. The most recent one was to pickup a signal in a house that wasn't really strong enough for a phone etc so I used a Nighthawk r6700 (currently $77 on Amazon) and used it to repeat the signal.

Easy setup guide here -> https://kb.netgear.com/24108/How-do-I-configure-my-Nighthawk-router-as-a-wireless-repeater 

My only concern in your case is how the authentication is handled? Is it just a WPA2 key or is there a splash page you need to login to?

Edited by javasumatra
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, javasumatra said:

I've setup a few of these. The most recent one was to pickup a signal in a house that wasn't really strong enough for a phone etc so I used a Nighthawk r6700 (currently $77 on Amazon) and used it to repeat the signal.

Easy setup guide here -> https://kb.netgear.com/24108/How-do-I-configure-my-Nighthawk-router-as-a-wireless-repeater 

My only concern in your case is how the authentication is handled? Is it just a WPA2 key or is there a splash page you need to login to?

A splash page that requires a username plus password. I have not found a way for my extender to log onto my WiFi system, since my extender only offers a password, not a username.

I set up 2 dual band WiFi repeaters that I bought on Lazada in our 2 floor rented house.  A Tenda (about 1,200 THB) and a Wavlink (about 1,000 THB)... Moved the WavLink to my TGF's family house in Surin... Price was decent, very small devices, plug into the wall... very easy to set up - they come up on a default WiFi network with their own default SSID, and allow you to login via WiFi (the Tenda, I think you can set it up from a smart phone), you pick the SSID signals to extend and they extend them... need password for the router (not login/password - most routers I have used only need a password, unless you are on a community WiFi system that has its own login page)... there is a login/password for the device... there are recommendations with the devices to use a different SSID for the extended signals instead of the original WiFi SSIDs - so no confusion on the devices when move around the house, possibly using the weaker signal...

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

It's a mystery how to make my WiFi extender connect to the system WiFi in my condo complex. The host system requires login via splash page with user name and password.

I am now connected to WiFi via my new extender. When my phone connected to the extender, somehow it "found" the host system and offered me the splash page for log in.