IGNORED

Possibility of work?

chenposeb

Hey,

Having major downers now back in UK.

Partner stuck in Thailand. I can't get a flat here as everything is so expensive so I'm sharing a room with 10 other people for £100 a week.

When I left Patts, me and my partner had a studio flat for our own use for about £60 a month!

I really want to get back to Pattaya and possibly live there for at least a year or maybe longer to satisfy the UK government that my partner and I are serious enough to be able to live together in UK. (which we only plan on doing until we can get back to Thailand for good)

So...main question...how easy is it to get unskilled work and could I survive on the work I get?

I was concidering doing a TEFL course and applying as an English teacher, or are there other jobs I could do?

any advice would be great.

Hey,

Partner stuck in Thailand. I can't get a flat here as everything is so expensive so I'm sharing a room with 10 other people for £100 a week.

When I left Patts, me and my partner had a studio flat for our own use for about £60 a month!

I really want to get back to Pattaya and possibly live there for at least a year or maybe longer to satisfy the UK government that my partner and I are serious enough to be able to live together in UK. (which we only plan on doing until we can get back to Thailand for good)

So...main question...how easy is it to get unskilled work and could I survive on the work I get?

I was concidering doing a TEFL course and applying as an English teacher, or are there other jobs I could do?

:001_Sawasdee: First ? unskilled work a defiant NO go for the TFL course but don't rush in .Take your time .WE ARE ALL HAVING DOWNERS MY FRIEND .Thats life me too :GoldenSmile1: cheers Chris

Wriggley Tin 1

i was going to ask the same question. at the moment i'm trying to save up enough money to last me aprox 1 year in pattaya. i was wondering does anyone know of somebody who landed on their feet with a job in tourism.

i see places all over pattaya offering fishing. do these places ever hire? it dose not have to be fishing i only use this as an example because i know what i'm at on a fishing boat.

Edited by derrylad

Hey,

Unrelated, but sharing a room with 10 other people and paying £100 A WEEK for the privilege sounds a bit out of order even for London. Where the hell are you staying?

Isn't it more important for VISA app's that you are able to prove that you can support your wife in the UK?

Think the problem is you miss her loads - hope you work something out.

Unrelated, but sharing a room with 10 other people and paying £100 A WEEK for the privilege sounds a bit out of order even for London. Where the hell are you staying?

Isn't it more important for VISA app's that you are able to prove that you can support your wife in the UK?

Think the problem is you miss her loads - hope you work something out.

Yes, i think so also, backpackers hostel was my only choice. Only landed back here on wednesday and rental has gone crazy here due to the property crash so all the cheap studios are gone.

Cheapest I can find anywhere near my work is £200 a week before council tax, parking tax, utilities etc., so working out it might be better for me to get a lower paid job and move back into my partners studio in Patts

Edited by chenposeb

i was going to ask the same question. at the moment i'm trying to save up enough money to last me aprox 1 year in pattaya. i was wondering does anyone know of somebody who landed on their feet with a job in tourism.

i see places all over pattaya offering fishing. do these places ever hire? it dose not have to be fishing i only use this as an example because i know what i'm at on a fishing boat.

I would say your chances are zero getting a job and WP in tourism in thailand, unless you are upper management in a multinational

Better to be daring and cool, than timid and uncool! Life's journey is not about arriving at your gravesite in a well preserved condition, but rather dropping into it in a long sideways skid, totally worn out, and shouting "Holy Shit...What a ride" - Indian Larry

If your not a qualified teacher you may find it...lets say trying, make that frustrating teaching in a foreign environment. It sound OK from what the TEFL course people say in their ads, but you would expect that! I get the feeling the reality is somewhat different from what I have read on the Ajarn forum.

http://www.ajarn.com/ Maybe becoming a scuba instructor is for you!

"If it feels good, just keep doing it!"

re getting a job here it is really a no go if you are unqualified. A number of lads have take the offshore safety courses and tried their luck in the region. The problem is without experience they can get local thais/malays etc to do the unskilled work for peanuts.

Some lads after being here for a while carved a niche out sending goods back to the UK via online stores- ebay/yahoo etc etc can be feast and famine- one month an easy 100,000 baht the next 20,000 so if you can live with the troughs I can point you in the right direction- PM if you want more details

good luck getting back

seriously, i wouldnt wish to swap place mate!

unskilled work would be almost impossible to find.

u'll never get a work permit for hodding bricks. and fishing boats dont exist in the sam erespect as a european style boat. they are usually one man bands.

better get her over sharpish and settle in UK

or come back here pimp her out and live off the earnings, that seems to work well for some falang here.

re getting a job here it is really a no go if you are unqualified. A number of lads have take the offshore safety courses and tried their luck in the region. The problem is without experience they can get local thais/malays etc to do the unskilled work for peanuts.

Some lads after being here for a while carved a niche out sending goods back to the UK via online stores- ebay/yahoo etc etc can be feast and famine- one month an easy 100,000 baht the next 20,000 so if you can live with the troughs I can point you in the right direction- PM if you want more details

good luck getting back

Actually once they reach assistant driller/crane op, etc we pay them the same as any farang. had to because it was the only way we could keep them with market so busy.

Bottom line is the Thais are like most western governments now in that they dont want people being flown in to do a job that locals do

I work for a multinational and we have to go through a lot of BS to get a WP nowadays even for senior positions

I think you will find a lot of expats working around town dont have WP's unless they are being bought on the sly

Better to be daring and cool, than timid and uncool! Life's journey is not about arriving at your gravesite in a well preserved condition, but rather dropping into it in a long sideways skid, totally worn out, and shouting "Holy Shit...What a ride" - Indian Larry

Unskilled workers get around 150 baht to 200 baht a day and get to live in a corrugated tin dormitory. Your employer may possibly lace your drinking water with "yah mah" to make you work harder. Sound interesting ?

To stay in Thailand you need a work permit and a corresponding visa.

IF you have a particular skill that canto be found amongst Thai workers you may qualify. You will most likely need to be tertiary educated, or the equivalent in industry expertize.

In general - you will need to have an employer who will pay you a salary of 80,000 baht per month for westerners.

SO in the hospitality industry you would need to have great expertize and a degree to work for a large chain that would employ a westerner.

Smaller establishments employ Philippine staff who require as little as about 30 to 40k for salary under the guide lines.

You may have a very remote possibility for a study visa to get TOFEL qualified. A lot of these schemes are scams.

All of teh above means that you will not be able to sponsor your girlfriend for a UK visa as you do not have a stable home environment for her to stay in, and more importantly be able to show a history of earning enough money to support her properly.

I do not mean this in a derogatory sense in any way, but these situations are the ones that the visa and immigration screening processes in both countries are looking to screen out.

Recommendation - take advantage of the UK grants etc to reskill your self into a profitable trades career. Save very hard, and after 5 years revisit the issue. You may then well qualify to bring your partner to the UK. You should keep copies and records of your correspondence, any exchange of gifts, go visit her for say 5 days regular twice a year.

She will need to do a solid English course and have good spoken and written English and a solid employment record. This MUST be at businesses that will issue her proper tax certificates so she can present these along with her savings book.

Good luck

It is better to light even one candle than to live in fear of the dark.

Sorry - double post

Edited by hungryandy

It is better to light even one candle than to live in fear of the dark.

I'm confused why you need to live in Pattaya a year to meet a UK requirement if your goal is to bring your partner back to the UK for some period of time. I think proof of relationship is much easier to prove than steady income which will be impossible to prove if you don't have a solid UK based job.

As for working here there is next to nothing. There are literally thousands of Thai people with master degrees working as sales reps in Tesco Lotus and Boots for less than 20,000 Baht a month. There simply is not enough work to go around. When it comes to unskilled labor that market is cornered by Laos and Burmese who would probably kill you before giving you a seat at the table, and that is a table that even if you could sit at you would probably find pretty depressing. It is true some Farangs have the golden ticket with an ex pat package replete with Western wages but they usually attained that after many years of climbing the ladder and paying their dues back in the homeland.

hungryandy seems very knowledge and I agree with his post. I took a year off work to assess the reality of living in Thailand and have determined while it is a fun place with tons of hot easy to meet babes it's simply not worth throwing away my financial solvency to chase Thai tail and eat spicy noodles at this time in my life. I will be going home after the year is up. Coming here was possibly the best decision of my life but my experience has been different than I thought it would be with the ultimate realization being I was too hard on my homeland and shouldn't take for granted all it can offer me for the next few decades. I never thought I would feel this way but I'm actually excited to go back. I will continue to visit Thailand for holidays but I have cured my Thai fever.

I'm confused why you need to live in Pattaya a year to meet a UK requirement if your goal is to bring your partner back to the UK for some period of time. I think proof of relationship is much easier to prove than steady income which will be impossible to prove if you don't have a solid UK based job.

As for working here there is next to nothing. There are literally thousands of Thai people with master degrees working as sales reps in Tesco Lotus and Boots for less than 20,000 Baht a month. There simply is not enough work to go around. When it comes to unskilled labor that market is cornered by Laos and Burmese who would probably kill you before giving you a seat at the table, and that is a table that even if you could sit at you would probably find pretty depressing. It is true some Farangs have the golden ticket with an ex pat package replete with Western wages but they usually attained that after many years of climbing the ladder and paying their dues back in the homeland.

hungryandy seems very knowledge and I agree with his post. I took a year off work to assess the reality of living in Thailand and have determined while it is a fun place with tons of hot easy to meet babes it's simply not worth throwing away my financial solvency to chase Thai tail and eat spicy noodles at this time in my life. I will be going home after the year is up. Coming here was possibly the best decision of my life but my experience has been different than I thought it would be with the ultimate realization being I was too hard on my homeland and shouldn't take for granted all it can offer me for the next few decades. I never thought I would feel this way but I'm actually excited to go back. I will continue to visit Thailand for holidays but I have cured my Thai fever.

good post. which should be listened to IMO

Any know of anyone getting office jobs in bangkok?

I take it all the big oil companies have local and western work force in bangkok.

Who are the local thai oil companies? Is there not some big mine near Pattaya?

anyone know what qualifications i would need to get into oil rig work? do they ever hire unskilled people as general opperators? or do you have to know a trade?

Any know of anyone getting office jobs in bangkok?

I take it all the big oil companies have local and western work force in bangkok.

Who are the local thai oil companies? Is there not some big mine near Pattaya?

I dont know if there is more than one, but the one I know about is owned by an American Oil company and is sub-contracted to a Scottish company.

All labour jobs are carried out by Thais. The American company insists that all supervisors and managers of the Thai teams are farangs.

To get a job as a manager there, you must be able to speak fairly fluent Thai and have leadership experience.

I dont have contact details anymore.

anyone know what qualifications i would need to get into oil rig work? do they ever hire unskilled people as general opperators? or do you have to know a trade?

We hire only national unskilled labour. You would only get a start in your home country. Once you have at least 5+ years experience and have moved up the ladder you might be in a position to apply overseas

As for the office jobs with local oil companies. they pay higher than multinationals. the reason for this is because they have to headhunt expats from the multinationals. All non management jobs are local without exception

there's work around but you gotta know people to get it.

guys are teaching 30/40 or more ks from pattaya where living is cheaper

Member since Dec 06.

I dont know if there is more than one, but the one I know about is owned by an American Oil company and is sub-contracted to a Scottish company.

All labour jobs are carried out by Thais. The American company insists that all supervisors and managers of the Thai teams are farangs.

To get a job as a manager there, you must be able to speak fairly fluent Thai and have leadership experience.

I dont have contact details anymore.

Do you know the name of Scottish company?

I know Hess was doing some stuff out in Thailand and Indonesia.

Also heard that the government actually deals with contracts etc and state that they have to give x amount of local labour.

Chances of getting unskilled or even semi skilled is a big fat zero mate. Not a hope in hell.

I don't know what you do back home but 'sometimes' you may get an opening in Thailand but highly unlikely. If you did it would pay a fraction what you get back home.

It is a sad fact, I looked into all that a few years back, I got offered a position but it was paying something like 45000B a month, when back home I can easily earn 3 or 4 times that :( I wasn't prepared to live like a tramp just to try and satisfy my dreams. Then you have to think, how easy would it be to actually get home! You wouldn't have the money to pay.

I say live the dream but live it in relative comfort, if you can't put the dream on hold until you can :Question:

Wha's like us?

• 4 weeks later...

A friend of mine did the Text and Talk TEFL course, bought himself a degree from an internet site and was merrily teaching away in Bangkok when one day ( going back a couple of years now ) the Bill or immigration or both had a big purge. They lifted 61 blokes with dodgy degrees and paper work, put them in klink for a month, then deported the lot. Now of course, all black listed from Thailand. Needless to say when my buddy got wind of this he packed it up and went back to the UK and now sadly he only has holidays in Thailand.

Up to you what you wanna do.

Has anyone done the diving equipment technicians course that is run in Pattaya and if so did you gain employment from it in Thailand or elsewhere ?