IGNORED

Four UK airports threaten to ban passengers boarding flights after drinking in huge crackdown

Assfiend

The major UK airports have plans to stop boozy passengers boarding flights in a major crackdown.

East Midlands, Stansted, Manchester and Heathrow have introduced schemes to stamp out disruptive behaviour fueled by alcohol.

For many, a trip to Wetherspoons in the airport terminal is as much a part of the holiday as sea, sun and sand.

But the four major transport hubs have all introduced Pubwatch and Best Bar None measures to stamp out disruptive behaviour.

They warn that anyone causing mayhem in terminal bars could be stopped from boarding flights

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/four-uk-airports-threaten-ban-16773954

no mention of lounges where it's free once you are in there. having said that those folks are much more likely to be regular flyers and better behaved than a "stag party" type mob

Not before time everyone likes a drink before boarding including myself but lately it's just getting out of hand with more and more air rage stories almost everyday somewhere, punch ups on planes now becoming more common these days so I'm in favour with the crack down why should someone spoil your flights you pay enough for them.

Is, and always has been the pilots responsibility not to allow anyone on board under the influence of alcohol

Nowadays when I fly to Thailand I am a loan traveller.  And I fly from Manchester and after checking in and going through customs I always head for the bar for a beer or two. It's always been a part of my holiday having a pint or two or three before flying abroad.  I've been doing it since the late 1970's.  I think it's good that authorities are looking to ban drinkers who drink to excess before boarding a flight.  Myself and 1000's like me just enjoy a pint whilst waiting to board our flights.  I would hate it if the few stopped the many from drinking at the airports.  In England I drink bitter so the airport is my last chance of drinking bitter before flying of to Thailand and having to spend my holiday drinking lager

Never drink alcohol at the airport, even though I’m in one of the Lounges so it’s free. Maximum 2 glasses of wine on board. Drink lots of water.

Feel shitty enough at the end of the flight anyway. Don’t need to be more dehydrated.

Wouldn’t have a problem if airports were made ‘dry’.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I travel from Birmingham to BKK, don't touch a drop in the airport when I can drink for free on Emirates!!

Good man, save your money for the barfine!

Be like a dog,

" if you cant eat it, play with it, or fuck it. Piss on it and walk away."

1 or 2 pints is ok..

its lads doing 5 or 6 pints or more thats the problem:08:

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

I usually have half a dozen bottles of lager (330ml) in the emirates lounge at Manchester before boarding, a complimentary champagne when on board then some food.

No need to go mental just because it's there.

If it is such a problem, why do they not just ban alcohol at airports ..... oh yeah ....

On 18/08/2019 at 17:30, Assfiend said:

The major UK airports have plans to stop boozy passengers boarding flights in a major crackdown.

East Midlands, Stansted, Manchester and Heathrow have introduced schemes to stamp out disruptive behaviour fueled by alcohol.

For many, a trip to Wetherspoons in the airport terminal is as much a part of the holiday as sea, sun and sand.

But the four major transport hubs have all introduced Pubwatch and Best Bar None measures to stamp out disruptive behaviour.

They warn that anyone causing mayhem in terminal bars could be stopped from boarding flights

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/four-uk-airports-threaten-ban-16773954

I was on a EVA flight from Lon-Bangkok a couple of years back as everybody were taking their seats 3  lads in their early twenties sitting  a couple of rows back were being really loud and rowdy obviously having had a few beers.

The stewardess asked them 2 times to keep the noise down which they did for a few seconds and started again.

About 10 minutes later 3 coppers come on the plane and told the lads the captain wanted them off the plane this shut them up pretty quick and the grovelling started one even started crying .’555

The coppers were having none off it,as they were carted off the plane all the other passengers started clapping and cheering .

13 minutes ago, Pheat said:

The coppers were having none off it,as they were carted off the plane all the other passengers started clapping and cheering .

.... then they realised their departure was delayed :rolleyes:

I love drinking before and on the plane.  I might have 3 or 4 glasses of champers and a few beers in the lounge and then carry on on the plane, I tend to get quite pissed and then fall sleep. I wake up after a few hours and drink some water.  I've been flying extensively all over since 1996 and never even been close to an incident involving alcohol. 

On 20/08/2019 at 21:06, davidge said:

Never drink alcohol at the airport, even though I’m in one of the Lounges so it’s free. Maximum 2 glasses of wine on board. Drink lots of water.

Feel shitty enough at the end of the flight anyway. Don’t need to be more dehydrated.

Wouldn’t have a problem if airports were made ‘dry’.

I always drink alcohol at the airport whilst waiting for my flight.  It's my last chance to drink Bitter before spending my holiday drinking mainly lager.  My next trip I will be flying with Emirates. So besides drinking at Manchester airport I will be drinking on the Manchester to Dubai flight.  Then have a beer whilst in Transit at Dubai.  And then have a drink on the Dubai to Bangkok flight.   I'm not a big drinker but when I eventually get to my hotel in Pattaya I feel OK.

So I wouldnt be happy if Airports stopped selling alcohol.  I don't think it will happen because the bars at the airport makes to much money.

Long live the airport bars

I remember stopping at the DMK 7-11, buying a small bottle of sangsom to drink on the way back to the states. Back in the day when you could bring fluids on to flights.  I like getting plastered and passing out on long haul flights.  That said I'm a very good drunk.

Wouldnt bother me in the slightest if they didnt allow alcohol to be served in airports or on planes, and i like a drink at that too.

Too many incidents with people who cant handle the stuff, shame for responsible drinkers but it wouldnt be the end of the world.

I'm not a drinker, so it doesn't impact me, but I can see an easy justification for stronger policies being in place for flights.  Everyone is locked in this small, metal tube for an inordinately long period of time, so someone who looks to be getting out of control is especially troublesome.

That said, I think a "no alcohol" policy is taking it to a bit of an extreme.  For every "pain in the ass" drunk, there are thousands of others who enjoy a drink to help them relax for the flight.  I have flown too many times to count, and I can only recall one or two flights where someone who had too much to drink became problematic (specifically recall a drunk older lady locking herself in the bathroom). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2019 at 04:39, regyai said:

Is, and always has been the pilots responsibility not to allow anyone on board under the influence of alcohol

Since 9/11 I have NEVER seen a pilot, ( cock pit door open) when boarding a plane, I kinda figure they are a little busy doing all their pre trips then checking the sobriety of hundreds of passengers b4 the board the aircraft.

13 minutes ago, stan jonathen said:

Since 9/11 I have NEVER seen a pilot, ( cock pit door open) when boarding a plane, I kinda figure they are a little busy doing all their pre trips then checking the sobriety of hundreds of passengers b4 the board the aircraft.

Believe it or not the stewards and stewardesses can contact the pilot through intercom whenever their is as problem with passengers! Quite often the pilot has come on the speaker to tell passengers to get back in their seats post flight when they all start getting up before we have reached the landing gate for instance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Why not just ban those nuisances from the company when they actually do this, I am betting it won't happen too often if people know about it, one or 2 beers helps relaxing and just sleep a lot easier, as for me I have difficulties sleeping in flights and this long ones are a pain

On 18/08/2019 at 18:15, striderman said:

no mention of lounges where it's free once you are in there. having said that those folks are much more likely to be regular flyers and better behaved than a "stag party" type mob

When reading this it got me thinking.  And my warped sense of humour took over :P

If airports ever closed down the bars so that you couldnt drink alcohol before boarding a flight BUT you could still get alcohol in the business lounge and I was a part of a "stag party" mob then the money I would have spent at an airport bar I would spend gaining entry to a business lounge. And drink loads of alcohol in the lounge.  And that would piss off the regular travellers who use these lounges.

BUT as a responsible traveller I would not do this

Archived