IGNORED

Laptop HDD upgrade - help needed

cheaty

Hi all,

Situation is as follows - I have a laptop with two HDDs - 1 TB SATA and 256 GB SSD. Want to upgrade the storage HDD, so in short what I need is:

Laptop HDD upgrade from 1TB to 2TB (SATA)

Already sent queries to some shops with online presence, went to TukCom and asked at most promising looking shops. I was really surprised from the following facts:

- people don't seem to get the idea of what I need, not easy to explain the concept and I got a ton of confused looks 

- many shops do not have 2TB laptop HDDs, some offered to order from Bangkok, some just shook their heads

- despite being the largest most have (1TB) nobody (with 1 exception) wants to buy my "old" 1 TB HDD - it's about 15 months old, perfect condition, new sell for ~2000 baht, it's not a thing without value, can be sold second hand for at least 1000 baht

So far I have 2 offers that might do the job, one is below 3000 THB total, the other about 6500 THB, in other words - only one viable option.

Can anyone give any ideas what to do? Do you know anybody working with laptops who might be interested in replacing mine with a bigger for a reasonable price?

I don't really want to order a HDD online and have to deal with potential problems later with some company far away, prefer local shop, here in Pattaya.

Edited by cheaty

Live the way you like, like the way you live.

Brand / model of laptop would help. 

ifixit.com can walk you through replacement yourself. 

buy enclosure for old drive and keep it for yourself. 

• Like 2

If it floats, flies or fucks, RENT IT!!!!! "He who hesitates, masturbates"

1 hour ago, cheaty said:

I don't really want to order a HDD online and have to deal with potential problems later with some company far away, prefer local shop, here in Pattaya.

First off, any warranty service over here is going to be handled by SYNNEX. http://www.synnex.co.th/Th/members/brand.aspx so online, local shop, shop in another city, whatever, if the drive has an issue, it will ultimately end up going to SYNNEX. 

Really, Google your laptop model for HDD replacement and do it yourself. It's a matter of unscrewing the correct screws and taking the rear cover off. Removing any shroud if there is one, unplugging the existing drive, plugging in the new drive, and putting the computer back together. Checking ifixit.com is a good suggestion. 

There is a SYNNEX Service Center in Pattaya, so if you wanted to, and your laptop is one of the brands on the list (which it ought to be) just take it to them, have them order and install the new drive. Then after you wipe your old drive, put it up for sale in the PA For Sale area. With as many techies as there are on PA, someone will likely want it. :-) However, you might consider buying an external drive enclosure for the old drive and keeping it for yourself for backup storage.

SYNNEX Pattaya  

Wattana Systemation Co., Ltd.

512/15 Moo9 Pattaya Klang Rd., Tambon Nongprue, Amphur Banglamoon, Chonburi 20260

Edited by Garzan

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, your help is much appreciated.

Live the way you like, like the way you live.

• 2 years later...
9 hours ago, Ferased said:

I'm curious if the HDD you found with such a large memory capacity is an external one or is incorporated under the laptop case.

My HP laptop has a 2 TB HDD as standard

1 No one wants to buy someone’s secondhand hard drive. Especially a 1TB one. 

2 Perhaps just keep what you’ve got and plug an external 2TB (or 4TB for not much more) into it?  Keep your operating system on the internal HDD as it is but put whatever you need on the other one. 

• Harry Brown locked this topic