Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

BA Business Class Review

davidge

I’ve just arrived in Thailand flying BA so thought I’d do a quick review (sat in the condo looking at the rain fall so wrote it this morning). No pics sorry. 

Before check-in: 

It’s only possible to choose seats before check-in by paying, unless you are a higher tier FF Member. I was quoted £80 each way so didn’t bother. 

A few weeks before the outward flight I was given the option to choose my main meal. However, unlike other airlines, there were no extra options but simply 1 meat, 1 fish & 1 vegetarian to choose from.

I was also asked to enter information such as passport details etc ahead of check-in.

Online check-in:

Opened 24 hours before departure. I was asked how many bags I was checking in and if I wanted to change my allocated seat. There were about 8 or 9 other seats I could choose from. However, the seat layout was completely different to every one I’d seen online so it was difficult to work out which the best seats were. It turned out that instead of the 4-class 777-300 that I was expecting it was a 3-class 777-200. (Note: I had a chat with the Flight Manager onboard and he was most surprised that sites show the 4-Class 300 on this flight. He said he was pretty sure it was always the 3-Class 200).

Terminal 5:

Business Class check-in for all flights is in Section H and it was chaotic. Just like economy check-in in Terminal 2. Barriers up for queue to snake and nowhere near enough desks to cope. Fortunately, 2 female staff took pity on me after I’d been standing around for 15 minutes and I was directed to the end where a desk was opened to check me in. 

Fast track security were overbearing and terse to the point of rudeness. Again, fairly chaotic but I got through in a reasonable time.

I didn’t find the signage in the Terminal particularly good but found my way to the North BA Gallery Lounge, though in retrospect it would have been easier to go to the South Lounge. The lounge was packed and I was lucky to find an empty table and a chair. No chance of a comfortable seat. It remained packed all the time I was there. Good Wifi and a selection of newspapers & magazines. There are showers, though I didn’t use them. Individual cubicles in the gents but there was a queue as just too many people for the lounge to cope. They weren’t particularly clean either. Small selection of hot food, which changed from breakfast options to lunch at noon. Very limited selection of sandwiches and some cake along with soup, salad & beverages.

My flight was from C gates which takes at least 20 minutes to reach from the lounge. B gates about 5 minutes less. I had to go down a level, walk to near gates A13/14 where lifts take you down another 2 or 3 levels where there is a train to take you to the gates. It stops first at B and then C gates. I had to then go up a couple of levels in the lift to get to the gates. There is a Biz lounge in the B gate section but not the C. 

Flight:

Boarding was smooth and we were ready before time. However, no slot was available so we ended up taking off 30 minutes late. Flight time was relatively short though so we still landed at BKK 10 minutes early. The seating was atrocious to be honest. Uncomfortable seat, no privacy, little real space (though plenty of legroom) and no storage space in the seat other than a small pull out drawer at floor level. In addition, I was staring into the face of the adjoining passenger due to the ‘nose to tail’ configuration BA use. We did eventually get the privacy screen to work but it was temperamental. In flight entertainment system wasn’t working and it took a couple of hours for a partial fix to be found. There seemed to be a decent selection of movies but the Moving Map and most of the music channels still weren’t working. There was WiFi available but I didn’t bother to find out the charges.

The staff were very good. Helpful, efficient and friendly. No complaints at all about them. Up there with the best I’ve experienced in recent years.

The food was mediocre. For dinner there was a choice of 4 starters (I had a very sorry looking salad), the same 3 mains I had to choose from online (I had the lamb which had a strange, almost Chinese, taste and came with limp green beans and white rice) and 4 or 5 desserts (I had a perfectly acceptable cheese board). I also had a good Rioja. For breakfast I had just the fruit/muesli/yoghurt with a croissant. I didn’t try any of the 3 cooked options. I wasn’t a fan of the coffee.

Conclusion:

So, after my outward flight, I’d say the overall experience was the worst I’ve experienced in Business Class in recent years. To try and rank the 4 I’ve flown with most recently:

Check-in & Lounge: 1. Eva; 2. Thai; joint 3. BA/Gulf;

Seating: 1. Eva; 2. Thai; 3. Gulf; 4. BA;

Staff: joint 1. Eva/BA; 3. Gulf; 4. Thai;

Food: 1. Eva; 2. Gulf; joint 3. BA/Thai;

I’ll try and update this in a month after I’ve flown home.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Did you check to see if your EVA original fight that you booked was cancelled?

I was fortunate that the EVA flight I booked from LAX to Taipei has stayed on schedule thru the strike. EVA has managed 1 flight into and out LAX a day versus the 3 normally scheduled.

Good review and matches my experience.  Have used EVA  BKK-LHR-BKK for years, but a couple of years ago BA was the only flight available at short notice.  Dire in both directions.

I switched to BA from Eva several months ago as BA had a sale and were £700 cheaper than Eva.

9 minutes ago, Tidiver said:

Did you check to see if your EVA original fight that you booked was cancelled?

I was fortunate that the EVA flight I booked from LAX to Taipei has stayed on schedule thru the strike. EVA has managed 1 flight into and out LAX a day versus the 3 normally scheduled.

davidge, 

Sorry I assumed you had booked thru EVA originally. I saw your post in the EVA strike thread and wrongly assumed you had booked with EVA to start with.

My last two return flights with BA (May 2017 and May 2019) were with Boeing  3 class   777-200 and selected my seat so i did not have to walk over someones legs..

The only food i could order in advance was specials like vegans, Muslim, Jewish etc. Early in the flight i was asked to choose main meals from the fixed menu. Most of the menu seems to be in a foreign language (too fancy for my taste) I usually take my own sandwiches). BKK to LHR does not even have an English Breakfast.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

On 05/07/2019 at 14:30, davidge said:

Thanks for telling it like it was.

I have never flown business class as the extra cost would always be better spent elsewhere with my budget.

I am sure that BA would.be horrified to read this review; did you make them aware of your experience?

3 hours ago, davidge said:

It’s only possible to choose seats before check-in by paying, unless you are a higher tier FF Member. I was quoted £80 each way so didn’t bother. 

That’s just shocking for a BC ticket, I fly BC with MAS and never pay an extra cent for seat selection at time of booking. 

Your pre flight experience could have been better with a little more knowledge.

You are not forced to use the HiSo check in at section H and it's quite often faster to use one of the ordinary ones.

If H check in is busy then nine times out of ten fast track security will be as well so if there's any sign of a queue there I just head for the normal lane.

On exiting security there are information people posted about and unless you are 100% certain it's always worth stopping and asking their advice on which lounge to use. There are three lounges in terminal 5 by the way for BA Club World passengers, North, South and in the satellite B terminal. The one in B can be an oasis of calm during busy periods and you can use walkways to get back to the main terminal building. North was the worst choice.

There's some things that you have to know that you have to ask for in the lounges like champagne.

Shower facilities are very good.

Your on flight experience was pretty standard in my experience. This layout is 15 plus years old and was groundbreaking when it first arrived. Unfortunately everyone has passed them during this time. 

I wouldn't use BA unless they were a lot cheaper than the alternatives and by using exEU flights at Christmas and other busy times they are but not everyone likes this idea.

Paying for seat selection is bad but everyone is going in the same direction. It doesn't take long to get Silver BAEC and free seat selection at time of purchase. With that there are a few bulkhead window seats that apart from the take off are like private cabins with aisle access.

I’m not going to quote everyone so I’ll just answer a few of the points here.

BA did send me a text asking for feedback so I will give it at some point- probably after I get home.

The fact they charge for seat selection is one of the reasons I haven’t flown BA for quite some time.

Frankly, no passenger should expect to be served more quickly at Economy check in than Business so it would never cross my mind to look. As I said, staff helped me out and opened a desk to check me in so wasn’t as bad as for other passengers.

The same lady did give me directions to the South lounge so I must have turned left instead of right at some point.

If my flight was going to be from a B gate I’d have gone to the Lounge there but I was told at check in it would be a C gate.

Business class/first class etc..these services are vastly overpriced imho,  if you can afford it though why not.

35 minutes ago, vimto66 said:

Business class/first class etc..these services are vastly overpriced imho,  if you can afford it though why not.

TBH, I can’t really afford it BUT I know I wouldn’t survive in Economy now so have no choice. I’m in quite a bit of pain by the end of the flight as it is.

31 minutes ago, davidge said:

TBH, I can’t really afford it BUT I know I wouldn’t survive in Economy now so have no choice. I’m in quite a bit of pain by the end of the flight as it is.

Admittedly economy is pot luck regarding comfort, the best seats are those at the front of a row facing the flight attendants seats they use for take off and landing, lots of leg room but only an handfull of these seats on each flight.

46 minutes ago, vimto66 said:

Admittedly economy is pot luck regarding comfort, the best seats are those at the front of a row facing the flight attendants seats they use for take off and landing, lots of leg room but only an handfull of these seats on each flight.

I find these the worst. Narrower seats due to tv. Tv at wrong angle. Usually kids and hovering people nearby. Full on aircon assault. No pocket storage. Your neighbours feet in view! Greatest concentration of people, as most want to sit near the front.

shame about the BA offering in the nice seats, especially when not paid for by free work airmiles, like most are. I have lots of sympathy for those with bad backs etc.

Hopefully return journey will be better.

I just wish I could get BA's website to work.

It is fuckin pathetic how many times it just hangs when you are trying to book a flight.

10 minutes ago, taylor1975 said:

I find these the worst. Narrower seats due to tv. Tv at wrong angle. Usually kids and hovering people nearby. Full on aircon assault. No pocket storage. Your neighbours feet in view! Greatest concentration of people, as most want to sit near the front.

shame about the BA offering in the nice seats, especially when not paid for by free work airmiles, like most are. I have lots of sympathy for those with bad backs etc.

Hopefully return journey will be better.

I dare say you`re right but i also like the fact theres nobody in front to recline their there seat either, im not a particularly big guy so comfort wise i`m normally ok compared to lots of people.At check in i do ask for an isle seat  which means i can go for a wee or stretch my legs when i want without disturbing people.

Just now, vimto66 said:

I dare say you`re right but i also like the fact theres nobody in front to recline their there seat either, im not a particularly big guy so comfort wise i`m normally ok compared to lots of people.At check in i do ask for an isle seat  which means i can go for a piss or stretch my legs when i want without disturbing people.

I'm a serial recliner ...the full journey, except meal times. I find if yours is reclined, you don't notice the one in front reclining too. It should all stay equidistant. 

My recent return flight, i had both legs with all 4 seats for me. Horizontal all the way home. Blissful lol

• 2 weeks later...

davidge sorry to read that you had a disappointing flight with BA

About booking seats - For years now I have always booked my seats(in economy) and I am very disappointed that airlines are starting to charge customers who want to book seats well in advance.  Later this year I am flying with Emirates from Manchester to Bangkok via Dubai.  So I have 4 flights booked and to book seats in advance I have to pay £25 per flight so that is £100 in total.  I wonder if you were quoted £80 one way to pre book a seat was because your doing one long flight compared to my 2 shorter flights plus you were in business class.  So to pre-book business class could be more expensive than economy. Just checked with the BA site and this is what it says:

• You can pay to reserve your seats in advance with cash or Avios**. Prices vary depending on the type of seat and the cabin you are travelling in. Prices can be found when making your booking or in Mange My Booking.
  • Bulkhead seats are usually reserved for customers with a disability, or those travelling with an infant (under 2 years) as this is where the fold-down cot tables are positioned, so it may not be possible to reserve these seats.

And its a shame that the food was disappointing.  If I had paid for business class I would expect the food to be top notch

I’ve always said I would never fly BA, after reading this review, it has just confirmed that. I think it’s disgusting that having paid a lot of money for business, you are then expected to pay to reserve a seat! Your whole experience seems terrible, don’t know how BA gets business. Saying that, the last time I flew Thai (in business), the breakfast on return was inedible, put a complaint in, just got a email saying sorry about that!

Not business class but  I went premium economy with them in June and it was no way worth the 1100 euro. Flight over was fine as the pe cabin was half full so plenty of room. The ife was ancient, far better screen quality on your average phone, the plane seemed old too.

Flight back was delayed a couple of hours, had no problem checking in though, only one spare seat going back so it felt quite confined. Service was poor enough, taking a long time to clear away food trays.

Overall it felt very basic and cheap, light years away from the BA of old. I will be expecting a far better of Cathay Pacific PE in September.

About having to pay for seat selection. It is all how you look at it. Within a cabin class (economy, premium, businesses) you have different booking classes each with their own fare and benefits. 

If you book with an aggregator they often don't show you the booking class and only offer the cheapest fares. 

Guess what, those cheapest booking classes are cheaper for a reason. Where a "regular" class will have free seat selection, the "budget" class won't. It is all in the price you pay for the ticket. 

Same as with budget airlines. The ticket is, abnormally, cheap but you will need to pay extra for everything on top of the most basic service. 

An example from Eva Air for Premium Economy:

Premium Economy Class
Fare Family Fare Family Types

Basic

Standard

Plus

Features

The fare is just right for you

EVA Classic

Value combos

Great flexibility

Maximizing miles

Earn Infinity MileageLands Miles 100% 115% 125%
Free-Checked Baggage Allowance (Note 1)

By piece 2pcs/28kg each

By weight 35kg

By piece 2pcs/28kg each

By weight 35kg

By piece 2pcs/28kg each

By weight 35kg

Seat Selection (Note 2) Chargeable Complimentary Complimentary
Upgrade with Miles Not allowed Allowed Allowed
Change fee (Note 3) Chargeable Chargeable Complimentary
Refund fee (Note 3) Chargeable Chargeable Chargeable
No-Show fee (Notes 3 & 4) Chargeable Chargeable Chargeable

38 minutes ago, eXplosief said:

About having to pay for seat selection. It is all how you look at it. Within a cabin class (economy, premium, businesses) you have different booking classes each with their own fare and benefits. 

If you book with an aggregator they often don't show you the booking class and only offer the cheapest fares. 

Guess what, those cheapest booking classes are cheaper for a reason. Where a "regular" class will have free seat selection, the "budget" class won't. It is all in the price you pay for the ticket. 

Same as with budget airlines. The ticket is, abnormally, cheap but you will need to pay extra for everything on top of the most basic service. 

With BA you have to pay to choose a seat in Business before check-in regardless of fare type or who you book with - I booked direct with BA. Only the top tier of FF get to choose after booking and the next tier down a week before the flight.

1 hour ago, dontpanic said:

Not business class but  I went premium economy with them in June and it was no way worth the 1100 euro. Flight over was fine as the pe cabin was half full so plenty of room. The ife was ancient, far better screen quality on your average phone, the plane seemed old too.

Flight back was delayed a couple of hours, had no problem checking in though, only one spare seat going back so it felt quite confined. Service was poor enough, taking a long time to clear away food trays.

Overall it felt very basic and cheap, light years away from the BA of old. I will be expecting a far better of Cathay Pacific PE in September.

I flew BA PE at the end of June as EVA were on strike. Flew back with EVA thankfully. The only thing better on BA was the food. Everything else was far better with EVA. A night and day difference!

BA service falls off a cliff outside of the Business Cabin ..

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

36 minutes ago, davidge said:

With BA you have to pay to choose a seat in Business before check-in regardless of fare type or who you book with - I booked direct with BA. Only the top tier of FF get to choose after booking and the next tier down a week before the flight.

Not sure if you mean Frequent Flyer or Flexible Fair with FF.

From the BA website it looks like 1 week in advance for free also doesn't exist (anymore):

Tickets with increased flexibility allow you to make certain changes to the date and time of your flight. They also include free seat selection:

• Flexible fares (Plus Flex) allow you to reserve seats for free from the time of booking.
  • Semi-flexible fares (Plus) allow you to reserve seats for free from 48 hours before departure.

For their basic fare it seems never to be possible for free. 

That really sucks. 

Archived