IGNORED

Looking for....a cheaper alternative to Koh Samui??

Vespa

Would like nice beaches, and a laid back type place. Not really into full moon type parties!

thanks in advance for any help/info.

Ao Nang Krabi

Ko Lipe

Ko chang

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

• 4 weeks later...

Koh Lanta is gorgeous and fairly quiet.

Koh Chang is what Koh Samui was about 15 years ago but is growing commercially. Still easy to find a lovely bit of secluded beach and has more going on/things to see than Koh Lanta.

Ao Nang beach is a little pricy but stay nearby and much cheaper. Also a greta base to explore the gorgeous islands round there but Phi Phi island now is nothing but a drinking/party resort, by the sounds of it one for you to avoid. Juts north of Ao Nang will be my future retirement home if the pound ever recovers some value :)

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png                                                                                      

On 03/07/2019 at 16:01, Vespa said:

Would like nice beaches, and a laid back type place. Not really into full moon type parties!

thanks in advance for any help/info.

What part of Samui to you find expensive ... hotels , nightlife, food ? 

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

11 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

In the early 2000s I was a huge fan of Samui. It has become overdeveloped to the point that I find it unbearable. Traffic is bad, Taxi fares are ridiculous, I do not see a baht bus anywhere. hotels can get expensive. The beach (at least Chaweng) is still nice.

I have been to Ko Chang and much prefer it to Samui. hotels there can also get pricey, but there is a good range to pick from.

I am looking at try Ko Samet early next year for the first time. I here it is quite laid back, inexpensive, and less than a 2 hour drive from Jomtien.

3 minutes ago, stef74 said:

Koh samet

Have you been to Koh Samet? Any comments in general?

1 minute ago, ChiFlyer said:

In the early 2000s I was a huge fan of Samui. It has become overdeveloped to the point that I find it unbearable. Traffic is bad, Taxi fares are ridiculous, I do not see a baht bus anywhere. Hotels can get expensive. The beach (at least Chaweng) is still nice.

I have been to Ko Chang and much prefer it to Samui. Hotels there can also get pricey, but there is a good range to pick from.

I am looking at try Ko Samet early next year for the first time. I here it is quite laid back, inexpensive, and less than a 2 hour drive from Jomtien.

I couldn't wait to get off Ko Samet. I was bored as hell.

It's a nice but tiny island. Rent a bike and you can explore everywhere in one day. Not many food options, but has a large food market. There is 1 or 2 girlie bars, which I wasn't interested in. The beaches have a lot of tourists there, but it's not crazy overcrowded. hotel options are not great.

5 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

In the early 2000s I was a huge fan of Samui. It has become overdeveloped to the point that I find it unbearable. Traffic is bad, Taxi fares are ridiculous, I do not see a baht bus anywhere. Hotels can get expensive. The beach (at least Chaweng) is still nice.

I have been to Ko Chang and much prefer it to Samui. Hotels there can also get pricey, but there is a good range to pick from.

Been visiting since 93 , normally stay in Lamai , I still love it and has enough nightlife for me for a week -  I don't do motorbikes , so usually use the Songtaews to get to the smaller beaches , normally 100 Baht  Lamai to Coral Cove  

not been to Koh Chang yet , maybe next year 

I highly recommend Koh Chang. I fell in love with the place when I was there. Its definitely atleast 10 years behind Koh Samui. Plenty of mongering options in whitesands area and Kae Bae beach area. But also plenty of places to explore throughout the island waterfalls, Jungle trecks, view points, untouched scenery, small island tours, mangroves, I loved Lonely Beach area and Bang Bao on the far end of the island. I did a mini report on the place. Have a read. If I manage to reach retirement age and Koh Chang manages to keep hold of its rustic charm I'll be retiring there without a shadow of a doubt. Probably in either Bang Bao area or Chai Chet near the beer bars that line the main road. I'm literally pining for the place now thinking of it. I miss koh chang massively 

41 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Have you been to Koh Samet? Any comments in general?

Been to Koh Samet. It's good for a 2-3 day break but definitely bring your favourite bar fine along as mongering is crap on koh Samet. Good thing about Koh Samet is the bars directly on the sand at night. Crash out on a beanbag surrounded by lanterns and low key music playing in the background. Seems to be slightly expensive on Koh Samet for everything, hotels, food and drinks. I remember ordering a cocktail at a bar on the beach and was charged 280baht haha. I found the cheapest food options to be on the main drag of silversands just before the beach. There was a food court there and a few very nice looking restraunts. It's quite a romantic place koh Samet especially along the beach at night. 

1 hour ago, REAR_ENTRY said:

Been to Koh Samet. It's good for a 2-3 day break but definitely bring your favourite bar fine along as mongering is crap on koh Samet. Good thing about Koh Samet is the bars directly on the sand at night. .....

Thaks to all for the Koh Samet info. Actually, I am thinking of taking the GF there for her birthday for about a 4 day get away. Now that I have a Thai Auto DL, I will likely rent a car and drive there. This sounds about right for the occasion, especially given the relatively short drive (about 2 hours from Jomtien I  think). 

33 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Thaks to all for the Koh Samet info. Actually, I am thinking of taking the GF there for her birthday for about a 4 day get away. Now that I have a Thai Auto DL, I will likely rent a car and drive there. This sounds about right for the occasion, especially given the relatively short drive (about 2 hours from Jomtien I  think). 

It's about 90 minutes from central pattaya mate. I don't think you're allowed to take your car on the island. There's literally hardly any cars on the island apart from a few songteaws, a trash wagon and an emergency service viechle. Traveling around the island is done on motorbike. The roads are nice and easy to navigate even for a new learner. Some lovely views. They used to have rental places where you could rent golf buggys to get about the island on. Was brilliant fun to get about in your buggy with a Thai girl. But they slbanned them a recently for a reason I don't know. Make sure you bring mosquito spray to koh Samet. I got bitten like a mother fucker when I was there. But it was well worth it for a slice of paradise. You'll really love it as a romantic get away. I'd advise to stay in the silversand beach area if you like a little bit of nightlife. When I say nightlife I mean a few fire shows, low key music on the beach and lanterns lining the beach. All the other areas were completely dead at night. 

I stayed in Tonsak resort. Lovely little bungalows set in a garden steps away from the sand where the fireshows and beach bars are at night. And directly behind is the little town center with a food court, few bars and some restaurants. My only complaint about the place is that they hold buffet dinners for Chinese tourists who aren't even guests at the hotel. So in the afternoon the place is flooded with them. Didn't really bother me but I know it bothered some other guests. 

5 hours ago, REAR_ENTRY said:

....... You'll really love it as a romantic get away. I'd advise to stay in the silversand beach area if you like a little bit of nightlife. When I say nightlife I mean a few fire shows, low key music on the beach and lanterns lining the beach. All the other areas were completely dead at night. 

I stayed in Tonsak resort. Lovely little bungalows set in a garden steps away from the sand where the fireshows and beach bars are at night. And directly behind is the little town center with a food court, few bars and some restaurants. .......

Thanks. I should have my Thai motorbike DL by then, but I do not know if (as a relative novice), if I will be ready for passengers by then. We shall see. Again - thanks for the info.

• 1 month later...
On 01/08/2019 at 06:32, Stillearly said:

Taxi, hotels...

Well, transportation + accomodation is usualy most of the holiday price, isn't it ?

Lonely beach Koh Chang is quite nice and laid back! A few reggae bars and some freelancers if thats what you're looking for. 

13 hours ago, bkkjunkie said:

Koh Si chang just next - sri racha

I was hoping nobody was going advertise that.... 

On 08/09/2019 at 04:14, jojomecanic said:

Taxi, hotels...

Well, transportation + accomodation is usualy most of the holiday price, isn't it ?

There are some very nice places for 1,200 Baht a night in Lamai , there's probably a lot cheaper around as well , if you don't want a swimming pool 

taxis are a very small part of my expenses 

The biggest % of my holiday costs fall into the "nightlife" category ( girls , drinks and LDs) 

Archived