IGNORED

A UK citizen driving in Thailand

Eddie9

Udon Thani to Pattay road trip:

I've been asked to assist my girlfriend in the driving, taking her families car from Udon Thani to Pattaya. But don't have an international driving license, only a UK driving license. Probably I'll have insurance.

Anyhow, how serious will it be if I'm stopped by a policeman and asked for papers? Just a fine which will see me right for the rest of the day, or will I get hauled into the police station?

Anyone know likely consequence?

The Sex Tourist, available on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07K211M5V or smashwords https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/924453

Signature pic PA.png

you will be ok with your uk driving lience

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

I was stopped by the police once and handed over my Australian license. Nothing was said but it didn't stop me having to hand over some tea money. Same thing would have happened if I had a Thai licence.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

UK licence is fine if you have been in Thailand less than 90 days.

After 90 days (from last entry) you must have a Thai licence.

Police rarely check this however be aware............

Thai insurance is on the car not the individual and insurance is invalid if you have an accident and do not have a valid licence.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Udon Thani to Pattay road trip:

I've been asked to assist my girlfriend in the driving, taking her families car from Udon Thani to Pattaya. But don't have an international driving license, only a UK driving license. Probably I'll have insurance.

Anyhow, how serious will it be if I'm stopped by a policeman and asked for papers? Just a fine which will see me right for the rest of the day, or will I get hauled into the police station?

Anyone know likely consequence?

Am doing something similar in March mate, and have heard the same as the other replies, UK licence is OK. Speed traps might be more of an issue :BeerFunnel1:

Am doing something similar in March mate, and have heard the same as the other replies, UK licence is OK. Speed traps might be more of an issue :BeerFunnel1:

If you get pulled over in a speed trap, it will cost you 200 baht and you get a receipt.

If a lone cop pulls you over, just give him 100 baht. No receipt.

If you paid the 200 baht fine, hang onto your receipt. If you get pulled over again within 24 hours, just show the receipt and you will not have to pay again.

A copper told me that the maximum speed limit in Thailand has been reduced to 90kms, but they will not book you until you exceed the limit by more than 30kms

• 2 weeks later...

Did the drive last December from Pattaya to Udon Thani.Was stopped about 3 times & not once was i asked for a back hander.

All my paper work was in order ie-international driving permit, full UK licence, car insurance.

Great drive by the way.

I want to lick Edna Krabappel`s Pussy....

Principal Seymour Skinner

Proud to be a member http://www.lmhr.org.uk/about/anl.html

Can you help please? http://www.baan-kingkaew-orphanage.org/mission.html

Take at look at this site if u care?

http://www.isara.org/

lbfucker.gif

Visit My Website

• 1 month later...

I did the same drive in january I got stopped 4 times in all, first time I gave 100 baht as I had been told to do and he looked at me shocked haha still took it tho, the next times I got stopped I thought I aint doin anything wrong so why pay and never had a problem.

I had normal uk driving licence and a world driving permit (costs £5 from post office) uk license was all I needed they didnt want to see the permit, as said before good drive nice and scenic, bit dodgy in the hills but ok just watch the nutters coming the other way in your lane overtaking the slow trucks.

Have a good drive bud and enjoy. adi

Money Can't Buy Life Robert Nesta Marley

I have been stopped twice before I got international licence just showed uk old paper licence and copy of my passport

No problem

Since getting my international licence driven 5000km not stop once

:)