IGNORED

Ease of getting 90 day visa in US?

PattayaFirstTime

Hello all. I have been to thailand once previously and stayed for 30 days before leaving. It was great, there was ups and downs etc. I am planning on going this time for 90 days. I have the tickets and already spoke to the place im staying with so i'll have proof of that. I'm paranoid that I had to book all of that first and if they don't provide a visa I won't get those things refunded. I also have print outs of all the documents I saw the require on the website. Anyone have any experience with this? Am I worrying too much and it's quick and easy or do they hassle you for random reasons?

Which "90 day visa" are you talking about ? A Non-O for reason of being over 50 ??

Still a rather easy solution in case of problem with it :

A tourist Visa (gives 2 months) + a Extension 30 days (at Immigration office, 1'900B)

It's a very simple process to get a tourist visa if you have a U.S. passport. No worries.

I never book the hotel for the full 60 days or 90 days.  Never had a problem getting 60 day visa and then extending 30 more in Thailand.

To the best of my knowledge, you can’t get a tourist visa with a flight out of Thailand 90 days after your arrival based on the assumption you’re going to get an extension. You get a tourist visa for 60 days. So, you need a flight confirmation for a flight out of Thailand within 60 days. You can cancel it later and get the extension in Thailand though.

I have gotten a single entry 60-day VISA from the DC Thai embassy for the past 6 yrs. Two comments about applying for the VISA.

Don’t apply too early, but within 30days of your date of entry into Thailand.  The DC Thai embassy has this posted on their website about applying too early since I was making this mistake.

Validity of a visa: The Validity of a visa is 3 months.

***A visa becomes effective from the date of issuance. Do not apply for the visa too early. If you apply too early the visa may expire before your trip and you will have to re-apply. The fee is not refundable***

Also, I previously used the USPS express mail service for returning my passport/VISA, but one year the tracking info was missing for a few days and caused me a lot of worry since it was <30 days of my trip and my passport/VISA was lost in the mail.  I eventually received my passport/VISA, but now I don’t use USPS express mail and go to pick up my passport/VISA in person.

I wouldn’t wait until <30 days to apply as suggested in the previous post myself. The embassy website states a minimum processing time by mail of 15 business days, although in my experience it has always been less than 10. The visa is valid for three months which means you must enter Thailand within three months from the date the visa is issued. So, anytime you’re within three months of a firm travel date for entering Thailand is fine. I usually apply two months out. Then I’m not stressing any mail delays getting my passport back or travel delays getting me to Thailand later than originally planned.

1206127548_2018VISA.JPG.106c27dd6cc3492dd89a3365d7444280.JPGThe Thai Embassy made this change to the single entry 60-day Tourist VISA. 

Previously, you had 90 days from the VISA issue date to enter Thailand.  (see 2014 VISA, e.g. Issued 27Aug2014 and Enter before 26Nov 2014.)

In 2018, they changed the VISA to show date valid from 18Sep2018 and valid until17Dec2018. I dropped off my VISA application on Mon, 17Sep2018 and picked my VISA on Fri, 21Sep2018.  I entered Thailand on 17Oct2019 and left Thailand on 8Dec 2018.

2014 VISA.JPG

Ahhh okay. I was going to go this Monday and I have flights and accommodations set up for September - November. The problem is I'll be out of the country starting the end of July, going to Cali then going to pure for a month, coming back on a Tuesday and flying back out that Sunday. Going to be a crazy time. If I go on that Wednesday i'd have to hope the visa clears by Friday, this is a bit worrisome. Maybe I'll try to get it during the middle of July and I should still be okay to enter the country in September...  Was hoping to get it done early and just put it out of my mind until my trip.   Thanks to everyone offering up advice I really appreciate it.

1 hour ago, joeaf said:

The Thai Embassy made this change to the single entry 60-day Tourist VISA. 

Previously, you had 90 days from the VISA issue date to enter Thailand.  (see 2014 VISA, e.g. Issued 27Aug2014 and Enter before 26Nov 2014.)

In 2018, they changed the VISA to show date valid from 18Sep2018 and valid until17Dec2018. I dropped off my VISA application on Mon, 17Sep2018 and picked my VISA on Fri, 21Sep2018.  I entered Thailand on 17Oct2019 and left Thailand on 8Dec 2018.

‘Valid until’ is the same as ‘enter before’. You have to enter Thailand while the visa is still valid. That’s it. You still get stamped in for 60 days even if your tourist visa had one day left when you entered. One of my old visas says ‘date of expiry’ another says ‘this visa must be used before’. Same meaning.

When they request bank statement it has the account number on it and everything. I guess it's silly to worry about since they'll have copies of drivers license and a passport  but it feels weird handing something like that over.

9 hours ago, PattayaFirstTime said:

When they request bank statement it has the account number on it and everything. I guess it's silly to worry about since they'll have copies of drivers license and a passport  but it feels weird handing something like that over.

I setup a Schwab account as a secondary account for Thailand spending and I provide them this bank statement.  The Schwab account is free and Schwab reimburses ATM fees at the end of the month..

I have other primary bank accounts and I would be reluctant to provide them these bank statements.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update. I did put in for the visa yesterday and picked up my passport today. It was approved. It's the tourist visa for 60 days and they said to show the guy at the immigration counter my 90 ticket and accommodations for them to do extend it to the 90, otherwise go to the embassy if they cannot. So far so good.

On 15/06/2019 at 22:17, PattayaFirstTime said:

I always black out the account number on my bank statement before I give it to them. Been doing it for at least ten years without anyone at any Thai consulate ever questioning it.

On 27/06/2019 at 00:02, PattayaFirstTime said:

It's the tourist visa for 60 days and they said to show the guy at the immigration counter my 90 ticket and accommodations for them to do extend it to the 90, otherwise go to the embassy if they cannot.

As far as I know they will not extend it at the immigration counter, at the airport that is. Also there is no embassy within Thailand that can extend your permission to stay.

Instead you would go to immigration office in Jomtien soi 5 to get an extension shortly before your 60 days are up.

What part of the USA are you in?  LA has a Thai embassy that does 60 day visas no problem.  Might be same day I'm not sure.   And once in Thailand getting a 30 day extension is simple enough.  I did it twice a year for over 19 years.  

And you can send your passport to the nearest Thai office if you aren't local.  I live in Phoenix area and sent mine back and forth to LA and never a problem.  Here are a few tips.

1)  READ THEIR REQUIREMENTS.  So many people omit all the stuff they want from you.  And it does change from time to time.  They want to see everything.  BTW, if you book at ticket that has 90 days between arrival and leaving I used to do that and knock on wood - never was an issue.  They want copies of your ticket.   Don't try to hide it.  If they respond that it isn't good tell them you plan to either get an extension or leave to Cambodia.  But again I don't think it matters if you do everything right.

2)  Write a cover letter proving you are at least literate and professional.  Not sure it mattered but I always did and I had great success.  Thank them for allowing you to visit their wonderful country.  Hey, a little smoke up the ass never hurts.

3)  Send USPS priority with tracking and enclose a return USPS priority mail envelope already addressed and stamped.  All they have to do is open your envelope, see all the documents they asked for, stamp it with the Visa and drop it right back into the return envelope.

4)  REMEMBER #1.  Include everything they ask for including the check, your passport, copies of stuff etc.  Check twice then do it again.  

Oh and copy your passport before sending it.  Just in case something DOES go wrong it can't hurt to have that.

1 hour ago, fatjack1 said:

...And you can send your passport to the nearest Thai office if you aren't local.  I live in Phoenix area and sent mine back and forth to LA and never a problem.  Here are a few tips.

...3)  Send USPS priority with tracking and enclose a return USPS priority mail envelope already addressed and stamped.  All they have to do is open your envelope, see all the documents they asked for, stamp it with the Visa and drop it right back into the return envelope...

Since 2017, I drop off and pick up in person, no more relying on USPS Express Mail ($25.50 postage)

I used to drop off my passport/VISA docs in person at the DC Thai Embassy and provide an USPS Express Mail return envelope & postage from 2013-2017 w/o problems.  But in 2017, USPS Express mail mishandled the return.  I dropped my docs on Thu, and the DC Thai Embassy mailed it on Fri.  There was no Express mail tracking info until Mon afternoon and I was worried about my docs all weekend since in the past I rec’d my doc in two days after drop off.  It was delivered on Tue.  I submitted a complainant and requested a USPS supervisor call me but I never received a call back from a supervisor for an explanation of what happened. 

4 hours ago, fatjack1 said:

What part of the USA are you in?  LA has a Thai embassy that does 60 day visas no problem.  Might be same day I'm not sure.   And once in Thailand getting a 30 day extension is simple enough.  I did it twice a year for over 19 years.   

And you can send your passport to the nearest Thai office if you aren't local.  I live in Phoenix area and sent mine back and forth to LA and never a problem.  Here are a few tips.

1)  READ THEIR REQUIREMENTS.  So many people omit all the stuff they want from you.  And it does change from time to time.  They want to see everything.  BTW, if you book at ticket that has 90 days between arrival and leaving I used to do that and knock on wood - never was an issue.  They want copies of your ticket.   Don't try to hide it.  If they respond that it isn't good tell them you plan to either get an extension or leave to Cambodia.  But again I don't think it matters if you do everything right. 

2)  Write a cover letter proving you are at least literate and professional.  Not sure it mattered but I always did and I had great success.  Thank them for allowing you to visit their wonderful country.  Hey, a little smoke up the ass never hurts. 

3)  Send USPS priority with tracking and enclose a return USPS priority mail envelope already addressed and stamped.  All they have to do is open your envelope, see all the documents they asked for, stamp it with the Visa and drop it right back into the return envelope.

4)  REMEMBER #1.  Include everything they ask for including the check, your passport, copies of stuff etc.  Check twice then do it again.  

Oh and copy your passport before sending it.  Just in case something DOES go wrong it can't hurt to have that.

Thanks. I went to my local embassy it's just a train ride away, good thing about being in NY I guess. They gave me the 60 day no problem. I'm just planning how to extend it, did you also do it in jomtien? The guy at the counter said immigration desk could do it if I show them my 90 day ticket and hotel room but people here are saying they don't. The embassy over there was also in my plans.

1 minute ago, PattayaFirstTime said:

Thanks. I went to my local embassy it's just a train ride away, good thing about being in NY I guess. They gave me the 60 day no problem. I'm just planning how to extend it, did you also do it in Jomtien? The guy at the counter said immigration desk could do it if I show them my 90 day ticket and hotel room but people here are saying they don't. The embassy over there was also in my plans.

I have never heard of anyone getting an extension at the immigration desk.    Jomtien is fairly well run although it will feel chaotic at first glance.  My last trip I paid to have someone do it for me so I didn't have to go through the chaos.  

Don't even show immigration your ticket.  Just fill out the entry form and enter the Visa number on that,  Hand them your passport with the entry form between pages where the Visa is and he will do a quick scan and stamp your passport.  Just make sure before you leave immigration  it is for 60 days.  Not 30.  If it seems like only 59 days or whatever it's how they count.

• 5 weeks later...
On 30/06/2019 at 20:49, PattayaFirstTime said:

... They gave me the 60 day no problem. I'm just planning how to extend it, did you also do it in jomtien? ...

I just read about this TM30 registration requirement in the thread below.  Never heard about this requirement before and never have a problem, but I never visited immigrations for an extension request beyond my 60-day VISA like you plan to do.

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/334182-tm30/page/2/#comments

It appears this TM30 requirement is on the hotel/landlord, but if the hotel/landlord does not register you, they fine you when you go to immigrations for an extension. 

• 4 weeks later...

To be clear, is the requirement for the return ticket to be 60 days after initial entry, or 90 days?

i plan a trip to Cambodia sometime during my 90 day stay, probably at the 60 day mark, so I can return to Thailand for another 30 days.

I used to get 60 day tourist visas all the time by sending everything to the LA Thai embassy.  My tickets were always for round trip 90 return and yes I included a copy of them with all the other stuff they want.  Trick is to not mention it's 90 days and overwhelm them with ALL the paperwork they request AND include a cover letter blowing smoke up their ass.  Make sure the e-ticket is like 5-6 pages print out and in small print.  Never had an issue with the time of return.

Archived