IGNORED

What hardware?

Danolo

I'm planning a 30 day trip and I'm trying to decide the computers/phones I want to use.

As for a phone, I have a Samsung , older model. which has a single sim slot.

I also have an Ipad Mini, which is crammed full of ram, and has both Wifi and Cell capabilities.

So what do I want to do? I want o be able to read and post here on this forum. I want to be able to browse the internet, looking at hotels, restaurants, etc.   I might want to run email.

So, I dunno if this will work... get a sim in the ipad mini, and use it for internet service. And then if I want to use the phone, on LINE or whatever, could I connect via a hotspot created in the Ipad Mini?

I'm not sure I understand how this all works.

Get a sim for the phone. Anywhere you want to use the iPad you will likely be able to get free wifi. You should also be able to share the data from the phone to the iPad if your in a pinch. Unless it’s a really old phone.

1 minute ago, Man7 said:

Anywhere you want to use the iPad you will likely be able to get free wifi. 

I have an iPad too. In many hotels the Wifi is not very good in the bedroom; you need to sit near the hotel's modem which is usually in the office at the reception area.

This applies to three and three and a half star hotels. In four star the connection is usually good in your room.

Me, "Wifi not good. Drops out and very slow".

Receptionist. "Problem is that many guests use it".

Nuff said?!

My opinion would be to get the SIM and a reasonably quick data package for the phone. Your phone can act as a mobile hotspot, and to me, it makes more sense to share the phone wifi to the iPad than to share the iPad wifi (via a SIM in the iPad) to the phone. 

You'll have data connectivity when you're out on the phone for Line, TF, or whatever and if you don't have good enough wifi in the room for the larger screen browsing on the iPad you can just share the phone data plan to the iPad via turning the phone into a mobile hotspot. 

When I'm reading PA on my phone, I use Tapatalk. I like the application, but that is not a universally shared opinion. :-)

I'd say get a sim for the Samsung, assuming its unlocked and you are ok taking the other sim out.

You can share wifi from your samsung via the phones hotspot with your ipad/tablet or just use hotel wifi.

Unlimited monthly data deals are best so you don't have to worry about data, depends if watching movies and streaming

Well, that's pretty clear... sim for the phone... its a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime.

I'm not fussy for Tapatalk, so I might want to use the ipad mini and chrome to log in here. If I understand correctly, in the absence of a good wifi connection for the ipad, I can connect to a hotspot from my phone.

Thanks for your help guys.

18 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

Unlimited monthly data deals are best so you don't have to worry about data, depends if watching movies and streaming

The two main providers for tourists (who also have kioks at the airport) aren't unlimited though. Don't know about others.

30 day plans with dtac and ais are almost identical. Choose either 4.5, 9 or 15gb. After that, speed is unusable. I got one today.

I got a condo with fibre, so its just for data on the move. Both providers' were awful in december and way to slow for my needs.

6 hours ago, Danolo said:

If I understand correctly, in the absence of a good wifi connection for the ipad, I can connect to a hotspot from my phone.

To be clear, if you do not have good wifi for your iPad, you can turn your phone (with a data plan) into a wifi hotspot to provide wifi to the iPad. You wouldn't be connecting to a hotspot from [your] phone, your phone ~is~ the hotspot.

The two main providers for tourists (who also have kioks at the airport) aren't unlimited though. Don't know about others.
30 day plans with dtac and ais are almost identical. Choose either 4.5, 9 or 15gb. After that, speed is unusable. I got one today.
I got a condo with fibre, so its just for data on the move. Both providers' were awful in december and way to slow for my needs.
They are unlimited but the kiosks and phone customer service don't sell it so usually they deny it exists. Latest info is they may be limiting it to 25gb a month if new sim. That's AIS, but DTAC and True have similar.

https://m.ais.co.th/ontop-package-myais#hotpack

4 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

They are unlimited but the kiosks and phone customer service don't sell it so usually they deny it exists. Latest info is they may be limiting it to 25gb a month if new sim. That's AIS, but DTAC and True have similar.

https://m.ais.co.th/ontop-package-myais#hotpack

You know too mutt lol

Good info, but they wave their 'menu' at you and take your pick or go without. 

Just checked dtac and i'm getting 1mbps download. At least consistently crap. Lucky the condo wifi is good.

10 hours ago, Garzan said:

To be clear, if you do not have good wifi for your iPad, you can turn your phone (with a data plan) into a wifi hotspot to provide wifi to the iPad. You wouldn't be connecting to a hotspot from [your] phone, your phone ~is~ the hotspot.

Thanks, G, very clear..appreciate your detail.

Archived