IGNORED

Booking advice please...

Angus12

A couple questions.

Planning a visit in late June. Do I need to book way ahead to get availability and good rates or can it wait?

I'm thinking Areca Lodge for the location and pool. I'm concerned about reviews noting dated rooms though. 

Any advice in these topics?

Although I haven't stayed there, I've researched the place as well.  I hear they have old style bathtubs with showers and some older rooms.  There is a portion of the hotel that's under renovation right now.  It's still a well rated hotel near LK Metro.  Here's a thread where it's mentioned:

You are not "way ahead".  It's May in a couple days, I'd say you should be looking to book immediately.

In general, the rates are low if you book early, they got the "early bird" policy....

Some few got the opposite "last minute" rate which is low.

I experienced personally the latter. I use to stay at Majestic Grande in BKK, I usually booked early and paid around 3300-3700/night. Once, I was in Pattaya for 5 weeks, suddenly felt for a change & decided to spend 4-5 days in BKK. The first hotel I checked, of course, was MG, I was surprised, the price was 2500/night for the same room. Well, I booked and packed right away and left the same day.....

In general, the rates are low if you book early, they got the "early bird" policy....
Some few got the opposite "last minute" rate which is low.

My guess is rates will stay low until or unless the time becomes popular or they begin to fill up. This is low season so my gut says I've got time. But it's a crap chute.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Angus12 said:

My guess is rates will stay low until or unless the time becomes popular or they begin to fill up. This is low season so my gut says I've got time. But it's a crap chute.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

the positive thing with early booking is that one can choose the fav. hotel & room.....

I would assume price are more or less fixed unless you drop in and negotiate directly with a manager. For the peace of mind I always book hotels (and flights) up to a year in advance

15 hours ago, Angus12 said:

Nice job of describing basic microeconomic supply and demand there. NB crapshoot. Like throwing dice in craps, taking a risk, figuring the odds. 

16 hours ago, Angus12 said:

My guess is rates will stay low until or unless the time becomes popular or they begin to fill up. This is low season so my gut says I've got time. But it's a crap chute

I would agree if you were flexible on dates or hotels.  If you are looking at a certain hotel, then you should be looking every day for fluctuations in pricing and also your exchange rate.

By the way, our Canadian dollar buys less than my last trip 4 months ago, so there's another wrinkle.

If booking a certain hotel in Bangkok, be careful as it's one of the most visited cities in the world... on or off season hotels can fill up if you wait too long.

I have stayed in Areca Evergreen wing three times. Excellent. arecalodge.com

Rate is usually best booking direct, not via a web hotel booking site.

You will find that there is an 'Ace membership'. If staying for several nights it entitles you to reduced rate; pays for itself. The reduced rate is not available via booking agents.

Late June when you expect to arrive is 'low season'. You will probably be OK leaving your booking till one or two weeks beforehand.

Ended up booking early but changed mind on hotel. Price was right at Centra by Centura Avenue hotel next to Areca and rooms appear much nicer at nearly the same price or lower as nearby hotels

Choosing hotels in this town is no easy task. Anywhere else and you can usually see a consensus on TripAdvisor etc. but not here. So many different views. 

Will report back on the hotel. Excited to stay in LK Metro this time. Looks like so much more activity.

On 28/04/2019 at 18:54, Angus12 said:

Ended up booking early but changed mind on hotel. Price was right at Centra by Centura Avenue Hotel next to Areca and rooms appear much nicer at nearly the same price or lower as nearby hotels

Choosing hotels in this town is no easy task. Anywhere else and you can usually see a consensus on TripAdvisor etc. but not here. So many different views. 

Will report back on the hotel. Excited to stay in LK Metro this time. Looks like so much more activity.

its look great!!  very nice area close LK Metro but quite for sleeping...

I will survive!

On 29/04/2019 at 02:24, Angus12 said:

Ended up booking early but changed mind on hotel. Price was right at Centra by Centura Avenue Hotel next to Areca and rooms appear much nicer at nearly the same price or lower as nearby hotels

Will be interested in hearing/reading your thoughts after your stay, if you would give be so kind to post a review.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Archived