Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Upgrading from phone camera to pocket camera.

Ziplee

I’ve been to Pattaya 5 times and have been using my iPhone SE for picture taking. It has done fine for “most” pictures. But let’s face it, not very good for zoom or low light pictures. So my next trip I want to carry a pocket camera.

What I’m looking for is something setting on automatic, waiting for me to pull out my cargo shorts and point and shoot. Also, have some zoom and decent low light capabilities.

Also, I can do some manual settings if I need to.

Here is what I already have on hand.

Canon PowerShot S110 and Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS45

Here is a comparison on the Camera Decision website

Canon PowerShot S110 vs Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS45

Does anyone have an opinion on these 2 cameras? I want good sharp pictures and Okay low light pics.

FYI, I can get a Sony RX100 (the first one) for around $394 (12k baht) and a Refurbished one around $320 (9600 baht)

Any help appreciated from the photography crowd.

14 minutes ago, Ziplee said:

I’ve been to Pattaya 5 times and have been using my iPhone SE for picture taking. It has done fine for “most” pictures. But let’s face it, not very good for zoom or low light pictures. So my next trip I want to carry a pocket camera.

What I’m looking for is something setting on automatic, waiting for me to pull out my cargo shorts and point and shoot. Also, have some zoom and decent low light capabilities.

Does anyone have an opinion on these 2 cameras? I want good sharp pictures and Okay low light pics.

FYI, I can get a Sony RX100 (the first one) for around $394 (12k baht) and a Refurbished one around $320 (9600 baht)

My comment is that carrying an RX-100 mk1 in cargo shorts at night is just a little annoying for me. Its too heavy/big and gets in the way in agogos.  That puts me off taking it in shorts at night.  Great camera.  Fine in a bag, but you dont want to carry a bag at night.

The 2 cameras you selected are both lighter than rx-100.   Worth considering whats ok weight for shorts.

44 minutes ago, Ziplee said:

Canon Powershot G9X Mark II. Great low light shooting mode where it takes 4 shots in about 1/4 second, then aligns the 4 to create one which is not shaky. Good manual mode. Very small pocket size.  I have one here now.

I have a RX100V and it’s an awesome camera but I’d find it a bit heavy in cargo shorts I think and a bit fragile without some kind of case. I’d be looking for something a bit lighter and more durable. That said you might find upgrading to a iPhone X solves some of your issues - or if the rumours of a triple lens iPhone are true this fall even more so.

17 minutes ago, Man7 said:

I have a RX100V and it’s an awesome camera but I’d find it a bit heavy in cargo shorts I think and a bit fragile without some kind of case. I’d be looking for something a bit lighter and more durable. That said you might find upgrading to a iPhone X solves some of your issues - or if the rumours of a triple lens iPhone are true this fall even more so.

I agree, I used to carry around a little  canon s110, now days with the advancement of mobile phone cameras it’s just not worth it. Also with all the white knights photo sharing has become a thing of the past. If you want to take great photos of your conquests get a decent used or new SLR and save it for the room if the girls are willing. Alternatively if your after street and nighttime life photography, that might not be so doable with drinking and bar hopping.....another small point is cameras can seem intimidating as opposed to phones which are part of daily life....I’m currently using an iPhone 8 256g, I’ll be upgrading although I’m happy with it. Go for large storage and better photography...use the camera money to upgrade the mobile instead....apple samsung google Huawei all make decent devises these days.....

I have a older Pentax waterproof pocket camera that I love, I got it to use at work in the rain and mud but it is great for taking pics in the swimming pool, at the beach, or during Songkran also.

The Pentax Optio WG-1, 2, or 3 are all good choices and are very small and lightweight.

2 hours ago, HowieD said:

new SLR and save it for the room if the girls are willing. Alternatively if your after street and nighttime life photography, that might not be so doable with drinking and bar hopping

I have a Nikon D3400, but I never brought it because of size. Not only in my bag but also to carry around.

2 hours ago, Man7 said:

I have a RX100V and it’s an awesome camera but I’d find it a bit heavy in cargo shorts

I have almost ruled out the RX100, most comments make it pretty heavy for cargo shorts.

I used to carry around a little  canon s110

Can you give me some info on low light pictures? I haven't used mine that much.

use the camera money to upgrade the mobile instead

I'm looking at that, Iphone Xr are $300 (10k baht) off right now.

Thanks guys this is some good info, keep it coming.

It wasn’t the s110 it was the s100, it’s broken has a lens error failure message, packed away somewhere, the photos are on a hard drive and the computer ditched. I have one photo I took from an email. Photo taken in moderately lit room without flash. The photo was taken in 2012....skin tone ect still better then than a mobile phone I guess....

25BE91F7-D08E-4558-BD05-F87382F3A3D9.png

19 minutes ago, HowieD said:

Photo taken in moderately lit room

looks pretty good... I guess I'll dust off the s110 and try some low light pics. I'll post them here and see if you guys can give me a critique on them.

On 03/04/2019 at 05:33, ricktoronto said:

Canon Powershot G9X Mark II

Just read a ton of reviews. Looks like an excellent camera for low light pictures, with that 1" sensor. Just talked to cell provider and got the runaround bullshit they love to pull. So I've ruled out the new phone cameras.

All pics taken on iphone7

Firts pic is obviously indoors no flash.

1293010061_IMG_0268(1).thumb.JPG.a6748f04b90dec9d92afe68904c404ad.JPG

Pics 2 and 3 night time pics no flash used.

IMG_0217.thumb.JPG.61b4059c777e529ade83e010bac2f4d0.JPG

IMG_0105.thumb.JPG.9c59a2529372cef411bf9aa47d88a75c.JPG

last two just random daytime LK shots.

IMG_0097.thumb.JPG.7295afc5c336e1b3833704ecfd2839a0.JPG

IMG_0059.thumb.JPG.36e8b40d753787c4b210664583b19646.JPG

For me iphone pics are fine, i could probably get better shots if i could be arsed using the cameras phone settings etc,  for random pics and shots of the girls it does the job well!  

Yes, I like my iPhone SE pics. But it struggles with low light and zoom. I'm out taking some low light pics with the canon s110 and I'll post on here in a few days. The one thing I've noticed was, It's so light in weight, I forget it's in my pocket.

On 05/04/2019 at 01:44, Ziplee said:

Just read a ton of reviews. Looks like an excellent camera for low light pictures, with that 1" sensor. Just talked to cell provider and got the runaround bullshit they love to pull. So I've ruled out the new phone cameras.

It is in fact, an excellent camera and as small as a cigarette pack. I prefer a viewfinder but they are becoming rare, though Canon does have an electronic add on for a crazy price. 

Good manual control also. Probably a bit dear for many users but it's new and packed with features so it costs it.

I have several good Cameras at home. Since I changed to a Huawei P20 pro, they stay home. Outstanding night shots in night mode (not good for moving objects as they do not stay clear). However, even the auto mode takes great low light shots. New P30 pro is even better. 

I still take photo's with my better Cameras, but for daily life and holidays it's smart phone exclusively. Get yourself a smartphone with good camera, thats all you need.

On 06/04/2019 at 04:16, Ziplee said:

Yes, I like my iPhone SE pics. But it struggles with low light and zoom. I'm out taking some low light pics with the canon s110 and I'll post on here in a few days. The one thing I've noticed was, It's so light in weight, I forget it's in my pocket.

The SE is early 2016, so it's a three-year-old phone, and three years behind on imaging quality. If you want to carry around two cameras, that's entirely up to you, but for me, I like to carry around as few things as possible. Were it me, I'd be updating my phone and calling it good. 

The very best camera for whatever photograph is the one you have with you. I always have my phone with me, even though I despise talking on the telephone. The phone part is the function I could most do without. :-) 

Like the previous poster, I've got two dSLR bodies, several lenses, and a compact dSLR. Unless I'm going out specifically to take photos, the camera in my pocket for unexpected moments (and my dinner for Facebook) is my smartphone.

1 hour ago, ZRHuser said:

Get yourself a smartphone with good camera, thats all you need.

Funny story, earlier this week I stopped by the cell phone store and they gave me the big up sell, get a new line, add this, add that, pay more yek yek. All I wanted to do is upgrade. So I just walked out.

It turns out the store manager was the guy who set me up with my first phone, when he was just a salesman. He must have heard the employees talking about me because he texted me today and said I heard you were having a problem in my store.

I said. Yeah all I want to do is upgrade my phone, keep the same number and plan. He text me back and said come see me and I’ll get you set up with any phone you want. I text back iPhone Xr? He says sure.

So yes a new phone Is a possibility.

I took some low light pics. Street light in the middle of the night is shining on the sign. I covered the name for privacy reasons and reduced size to post.

The first pic is iPhone SE in HDR mode, f2.2, exp 1/15

95030973_iphoneHDRf2.2exp115.JPG.a729bf2f9365e8fb3221f216b83df565.JPG

The second picture is from the Canon S110 Set at automatic with HDR. iso 1600, f2, exp 1/20

580627226_canoniso1600f2exp120.jpg.b38a47b13946e8a3714bac93dcd57be2.jpg

The third pic is the Canon S110 Night scene mode with HDR. iso 3200, f2, exp 1/50

1643011616_canoniso3200f2exp150.jpg.b37bc1cf63926d06c39228917b517e03.jpg

The iPhone was keeping up with the pocket camera, I think. So now I'm leaning toward upgrading the phone. I was surprised that just plain Automatic seems a little better than the night scene mode.

I have had a little S100 for a few years,  

I took these in a dark little massage room in Bangkok, the ones that are a little out of focus are because of the mirror.  It also makes for a nice little video camera.  I suspect that it will be much more durable than a regular cell phone if it gets dropped as it is made of metal and not glass.  You should be able to pick up the updated on on Amazon at a good price.

I also have the P20 Pro, it is really amazing what it can do.  I still pull out my big boy camera when I want to be a photographer, but a good cellphone camera to a point and shoot, not really much of a difference.

Joker...

Just upgrade the phone. You'll have a phone and camera in one.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Sony RX100 Mk IV. Got it back when it released, and it is still an absolute beast for portable photography. With that said, I never carry it with me for my holidays. I just carry it with me for work as it requires some professional photography. When Im on a holiday, I use my phone. Even if I have the camera with me, I end up using my phone because its much faster to shoot and easy to share. That's what I'd recommend no cameras for most people. Smartphone photography has come a long way, and I dont see the need for a dedicated camera for general consumers. Glad you upgraded your phone. I use an iPhone XS Max now. 

I'm happy with the pics I've taken, so far. Now I just need a good free iPhone app, so I can reduce the size of the pictures. The files are huge.

Any suggestions?

On 03/04/2019 at 15:47, Ziplee said:

You can get the Sony RX 100 Mk 3 for 19,000 Baht: Mk4 for 27,000 baht: Mk5 for 35,000 Baht of Mk 6 for 40,000 Baht.

I am still using my Mk 1 at 12,000 baht and it does everything I (and I think most people) need. The others just have gimmicks which i don't need so not worth the extra money for me.  I mostly use it for taking photos of girls in my room and they are just massage  or gogo girls (like below) and not usually selected for modelling.

I just set Program and point and shoot.

I seldom take it out of my room so not a problem about size although it is quite small.

PS: I think I read that the OP has gone for a Phone with a good camera. But others may find this of interest.

2106679320_Tik1926CCcr3(Large).thumb.jpg.7d36f162d09e4677c3f95117df034700.jpg

122777868_Tik1928CCcrcr(Large).thumb.jpg.679d6660c881cd8e7a56890b12770607.jpg

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

Archived