IGNORED

Freq Flyer points etc.

Danolo

2 hours ago, Bonkabit said:

A few years ago I spent some time creating a spreadsheet to help work out the values of flyer reward points. I sent it to a friend to review, he said I could have saved myself a lot of effort as website frequentflyer.com.au had already done it!

Any chance you could send me a copy?

I'd recommend Earning points on Budget Airlines, & Redeeming on Full Service. 

Of the 4 major airlines in Australia, Virgin & Qantas are the best for on time departures & arrivals, while with Jetstar and Tiger, delays and cancellations are common.

Flying cheap in economy on a budget airline, shave a day off at least each way due to travel fatigue - so a 10 day trip with 8 days having fun will only be around 6 if a flight is delayed or cancelled.

3 hours ago, ChuckFinley said:

3 hours ago, ChuckFinley said:

Any chance you could send me a copy?

Sorry, no. The one on the web superseded my more modest one. Suggest you search and see if it is still there.

Up until about 3 or 4 years back the frequent flyer programs with United Airlines and American were based upon miles flown along with ones frequent flyer status.  At that time I was making 6 R/Ts from the states to LOS each year and only paying for 3.  Now its based upon the price of your ticket.  The quickest way now to ear miles on these airlines is opening a credit card account like the Chase Mileage Plus Explorer where you get 50K miles if you spend 3K USDs in the first 3 months plus you get a miles for each dollar spent.  Stay with the program for a couple years then cancel, then reapply again for the 50K sign up bonus.

IMO the airline miles for miles actually flown aren't worth it.  Back in the day 4 United flights got me a free flight.  Now it's 21 or 22 flights to get a free one. 

The CC bonus offers. Absolutely worth it.  I have flown to Pattaya 2 or 3 times on a free flight and my last trip to Colombia was free (and have enough points for 2 more flights to Colombia waiting to be booked).  How I do it,  I just plan ahead.  If I know I have a big purchase coming up I get a new CC, do the big purchase to meet minimum spend and cancel card within first year before the fees hit.  

Example:  Had to get a root canal last week.  United offer 40k miles with 2k spend in first 3 months.  Took me a month to get dentist appointment so I ordered the new CC and paid dentist with it.  Ya, I got bent over by the Western dentist but at least I got a free flight to Colombia out of it.  

My flight booked about 2 weeks ago SFO-MNL BKK-SFO for May.  Had a $700 dollar cash back CC with expiring points.  Did cash back offer,  $700 check sent to me and used that new United card to book flight on Cathay for $740.  Pay off CC using cash back so flight for next 6 week trip cost me $40 + $80 for a mnl-BKK flight on Cebu Pacific.  

Getting enough miles for US-Asia flights is harder.  I suggest starting out doing a couple free flights to Colombia, CR,DR where one CC bonus is enough points for the flight.  Asia you may have to use 2 cards, 1 each way.  Also with cheap Asia flights they might not be the best use of your miles.  80k on United = 1 trip to Asia($700 if paid cash), 2 trips to Medellin($550 each if I'm paying cash), or 1 flight to Africa ($1300 for the multi jaw I want).  It wouldn't be the best use of my United miles to use them on a flight to Thailand and then pay cash to go to Africa or Colombia.  

Like others have said previously, It's kind of a hobby for me trying to beat/game the system.  

Keep in mind if looking to buy a house the credit inquires will effect your credit.  

EDIT: Also, I always give myself an extra recovery day before going back to work.  So if flight is full I have the option of getting bumped for the next flight in exchange for a free flight.  I have used this strategy with limited success.  Often I'm just too tired at that point to offer.  Back when I was flying SouthWest to San Diego and going to TJ I'd always offer.  Next flight never more than an hour and a half out and my next flight will be free.  

9 hours ago, NorCalKid said:

IMO the airline miles for miles actually flown aren't worth it.  Back in the day 4 United flights got me a free flight.  Now it's 21 or 22 flights to get a free one. 

That depends on whether you have status with the airline or are flying business/first class, in which cases you likely get "bonus" miles for your flights.

I am Platinum with American, so I get a "bump" from the typical award miles, and I get a bigger bump if I fly business class.  It usually comes out very similar to the actual miles flown.

It's pretty easy to compare, as the Elite Qualifying Miles ("EQM") are based on the actual miles flown.  Here are the numbers from some of my recent flights:

LAX- JFK: EQM = 4,950; Award miles = 4,712 (economy)
LAX-HNL: EQM - 10,224; Award miles= 10,976 (business class)
LAX-LAS: EQM = 500; Award miles = 880 (economy)
LAX-Omaha: EQM = 3,990; Award miles = 4,640 (economy)
LAX-LHR: EQM = 21,824; Award miles = 22,304 (business class)
LAX-Fresno: EQM = 2,000; Award miles = 4,000 (first class)

I definitely agree re credit cards, but you MUST have the discipline to pay them off in full each month.  As noted in the "Long Haul Flight" thread, I just got a Cap One Venture card, used it to pay my taxes and some reimbursable expenses, and I am now sitting on 58,000+ Cap One points, which transfer to EVA as 43,500 miles.  Still gotta build the other 31,500 EVA miles to get a business class ticket, but I'm on my way (each additional $1 USD spent on that card nets me 1.5 EVA miles).

Another thing to look at is bonus categories on the various credit cards.  When I eat out or buy an airline ticket on my Citibank card, I get 5 points per USD spent; when I pay for a hotel room, I get 3 points per USD.  Those bonus points can really add up.

23 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

That depends on whether you have status with the airline or are flying business/first class, in which cases you likely get "bonus" miles for your flights.

I am Platinum with American, so I get a "bump" from the typical award miles, and I get a bigger bump if I fly business class.  It usually comes out very similar to the actual miles flown.

It's pretty easy to compare, as the Elite Qualifying Miles ("EQM") are based on the actual miles flown.  Here are the numbers from some of my recent flights:

LAX- JFK: EQM = 4,950; Award miles = 4,712 (economy)
LAX-HNL: EQM - 10,224; Award miles= 10,976 (business class)
LAX-LAS: EQM = 500; Award miles = 880 (economy)
LAX-Omaha: EQM = 3,990; Award miles = 4,640 (economy)
LAX-LHR: EQM = 21,824; Award miles = 22,304 (business class)
LAX-Fresno: EQM = 2,000; Award miles = 4,000 (first class)

I definitely agree re credit cards, but you MUST have the discipline to pay them off in full each month.  As noted in the "Long Haul Flight" thread, I just got a Cap One Venture card, used it to pay my taxes and some reimbursable expenses, and I am now sitting on 58,000+ Cap One points, which transfer to EVA as 43,500 miles.  Still gotta build the other 31,500 EVA miles to get a business class ticket, but I'm on my way (each additional $1 USD spent on that card nets me 1.5 EVA miles).

Another thing to look at is bonus categories on the various credit cards.  When I eat out or buy an airline ticket on my Citibank card, I get 5 points per USD spent; when I pay for a hotel room, I get 3 points per USD.  Those bonus points can really add up.

I fly to Asia 4X a year.  Since Cathay is a one world partner and I fly 60k miles a year on them (in theory if I stopped EVA) would I qualify for status with those partner miles 1 to 1?  So 50k miles/Sapphire would then give me Cathay Pacific lounge access?

Thanks

1 hour ago, NorCalKid said:

I fly to Asia 4X a year.  Since Cathay is a one world partner and I fly 60k miles a year on them (in theory if I stopped EVA) would I qualify for status with those partner miles 1 to 1?  So 50k miles/Sapphire would then give me Cathay Pacific lounge access?

Thanks

I'm actually confused as Hell by lounge access!  I think Sapphire gets you lounge access, but don't quote me on that!

Details should be here: https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=

I know that my AA Platinum makes me oneworld Sapphire, but I'm uncertain as to how Cathay flights credit to AA for elite status qualification (I typically fly Cathay using miles, as opposed to paying for them).

Platinum requires 50,000 EQMs (ass in seat miles) and $6,000 EQDs (qualifying spend).

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I'm actually confused as Hell by lounge access!  I think Sapphire gets you lounge access, but don't quote me on that!

I know that my AA Platinum makes me oneworld Sapphire, but I'm uncertain as to how Cathay flights credit to AA for elite status qualification (I typically fly Cathay using miles, as opposed to paying for them).

Platinum requires 50,000 EQMs (ass in seat miles) and $6,000 EQDs (qualifying spend).

I can answer the question about AA earnings on CX flights. There's a chart on AA's website here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/partner-airlines/cathay-pacific.jsp

Short version, your EQM, EQD and award mileage earning will be exactly zero if you buy any form of discounted economy ticket. Only the three highest economy (B, H or Y) fare codes and anything above them (PY, J, F) earn on AAdvantage. The earning rates for PY tickets are actually very good though.

I ran the numbers when CX launched their IAD flight. One could actually qualify for Executive Platinum with four Premium Economy CX round trips to BKK from IAD as long as they're CX tickets, not AA tickets, and a single domestic round trip that earns at least 300 EQMs since you pick up ~3680 EQDs and ~27600  EQMs per trip. Puts you at ~$14.7k EQD after the fourth trip and ~110k EQM. Redeemable mileage works out to 73k or so for the four trips. PY out of IAD is usually in the $2300-2800 range roundtrip. Convenient for me that I try to go to Pattaya 3 or 4 times per year.

For lounge access, OW Sapphire gets you into the alliance business class lounge(s) and OW Emerald gets you into the alliance first class lounge. I specifically say alliance lounges because some OW airlines, *cough* Qatar *cough*, require you to be on a business/first class ticket on their own metal in order to get into their nicer lounges.

If you're using discount economy CX tickets you're better off crediting the flights to Alaska most of the time.

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

That rules me out, 4 flights at 640-740 each.  Maybe $2800 a year.  

I was planning to just buy a Priority Pass to get lounge access but most of my flights leave terminal A at SFO at 0130 and the PP lounges close at 11pm.  :Dunno1:

The value in Priority Pass is basically in the non-US lounges.  I use the free one you get with Chase Sapphire Reserve.  The worst lounges are in the US where you can't even get into some during busy hours and there's barely any food.  It allows access to all of the lounges in BKK including the "first class" lounges.  You get lounge access in basically all of the connecting flights to BKK like Hong Kong, Seoul, Taipei and all over China.  I've used it in Central American too. 

3 hours ago, wdogg said:

The value in Priority Pass is basically in the non-US lounges.  I use the free one you get with Chase Sapphire Reserve.  The worst lounges are in the US where you can't even get into some during busy hours and there's barely any food.  It allows access to all of the lounges in BKK including the "first class" lounges.  You get lounge access in basically all of the connecting flights to BKK like Hong Kong, Seoul, Taipei and all over China.  I've used it in Central American too. 

Great tip!

Be sure to register your Priority Pass membership on their website and download the app.  I foolishly forgot my Priority Pass card on a RT from LAX-JFK this past weekend, but luckily realized that I had registered one of mine, so I was still able to use it for the $28 credit at Bobby Vann's Steakhouse at Terminal 8 at JFK.  Sadly for me, my flight left too early for anything at LAX. 

I ALWAYS check the app before travelling to see where I can use it, but this was the first time I had forgotten to bring one of my cards (I get it through 2 ccs).  I overheard the hostess telling a party of 4 that arrived after me how many guests would get the credit (2 of them; $56 total credit), so I guess they do quite a bit of Priority Pass business.

Frankly, I prefer the dining credit at certain restaurants MUCH more than the lounge access.  I always try to cash it out at the Bradley Terminal at LAX at PF Changs.  I usually fly solo, so only $28 off my tab (but please remember to tip based on the full value at USA locations!  5555)

Since the last few posts have been about lounges, thought I would add this scathing article about the decline in food quality and service at the Cathay lounges in HK:

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/2019/04/24/cathay-pacific-hong-kong-lounge-food/

On 08/04/2019 at 00:02, Luv2Phuket said:

It helps to be able to rack up as much as possible through a business (so that you get reimbursed) -- I am working on a convention in May and had to front 2 payments for the organization - one for $2,500 and the other for $8,750.  I got reimbursed before my bills  came due, but scored 67,500 Marriott Bonvoy points out of it.

I cannot wait until the convention gets here, as I am hoping to use my credit cards to pay the $35,000 or so that the organization is going to owe the hotel, then get a check to cover the charges.  Those will equate to some GREAT miles, hotel points and bonus points for me!

Was going down the same alley and had full acceptance for back-charging company for any expenses which, in FF miles over a year, normally added up to equivalent of two -  three I -class tickets to LOS .... on top of the frequent flyer miles aon CC.
That said; these days being only a humble retiree, I'm struggleling  and have to chip in a few $ to maintain top tier status in Star Allience.... glad soi new place can still produse a few (MILF) talent :GoldenSmile1:

I have found that many airlines are drastically reducing their miles given per flight for cheap flights. Specifically, I am United Platinum, but if I fly Singapore Airlines on a cheap date from Expedia, I might get 0 miles.

One way around that is to buy the ticket from Singapore Airlines directly, because they may offer the same price ticket, but in a "better" fare class that provides miles.

I did that recently on Turkish Airlines, and it was the difference between 0 miles and 3500 miles for a flight to Bangkok.

I almost always buy Thai Airlines tickets from their website - not just for the miles, but sometimes their prices are lower than Expedia.

52 minutes ago, Explorer8939 said:

I have found that many airlines are drastically reducing their miles given per flight for cheap flights. Specifically, I am United Platinum, but if I fly Singapore Airlines on a cheap date from Expedia, I might get 0 miles.

Same with hotel programs -- generally speaking, if you book a room through Expedia, Agoda, etc., you will not get points on your Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, etc. account

2 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Same with hotel programs -- generally speaking, if you book a room through Expedia, Agoda, etc., you will not get points on your Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, etc. account

The difference is that booking on Expedia will still get you airline miles in about 50 percent of flights. You just have to  compare what the Expedia fare class provides compared with what the airline gives from its web site.

26 minutes ago, Explorer8939 said:

The difference is that booking on Expedia will still get you airline miles in about 50 percent of flights. You just have to  compare what the Expedia fare class provides compared with what the airline gives from its web site.

Actually, I should have said that you MAY not get the points, upgrades for Diamond/Platinum status, etc. with hotels.  It's always a crapshoot.

As you say, best to do an economic comparison.

If you're getting  Name brand accomodation, you're best off booking Direct to ensure maximum points, status & benefits - I'd only book through Agoda, Expedia ect. if there's no availability or booking direct is significantly more expensive. 

If you're staying at a smaller local hotel, e.g. Nice hotel near Penthouse, it's worth going up a room category or two with Agoda for max points. 

Unless you're booking during a Bonus points offer or able to get a 1:1 transfer ratio, hotel points are best used towards redeeming a free 

Archived