Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Old Eeebook (lightweight laptop) needs new OS

doug

I have an Asus x205t laptop that is perfect for travel as it is super lightweight and the power supply is also small. I rarely use it but it's nice to have it when I travel. I made the foolish mistake of upgrading it to windows 10 a while back and it's useless now. I was going to have windows 7 put back on it but I here they will be discontinuing that soon.

What lightweight OS would you suggest for my laptop and do you suggest a place in Pattaya that would set it up for me? Also about how much do you think it should cost. I don't game on it and I mainly just surf and watch some videos online occasionally on it. I have a motorbike and can get anywhere easily.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I had an old laptop that I replaced Windows with Ubuntu. Works great, and the price is right. Free. 

Give it a try installing yourself and if that doesn't work take your laptop to one of the shops in Tukcom. At a guess they'll probably only charge you a few hundred baht to do the install for you.

3 hours ago, doug said:

I have an Asus x205t laptop that is perfect for travel as it is super lightweight and the power supply is also small. I rarely use it but it's nice to have it when I travel. I made the foolish mistake of upgrading it to windows 10 a while back and it's useless now. I was going to have windows 7 put back on it but I here they will be discontinuing that soon.

Discontinuing Win 7? Piffle! I'm still getting patches for the Windows XP operating system family and associated software, which includes the server version. What MS threatens in terms of stopping support, and what they actually do are different scenarios, using XP as an example. Consider the damage to MS's reputation if their operating systems, no matter how old, are compromised by malware which then infects other systems. Bad publicity, yes?

Do Win 7 if you like that. Linux is great but may not support all the applications you want.

After doing a quick web search, one might ask how is the computer useless? I've found that Win 10 uses far less system resources than Win7 on an old laptop but your experience may vary.

The following support link doesn't contain references saying that Win10 on the ASUS EeeBook X205TA WON'T work. It's saying how to do that. Maybe  your upgrade to Win10 is flawed? Good luck. :wink:

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS_EeeBook_X205TA/HelpDesk/

2 hours ago, doug said:

I mainly just surf and watch some videos online occasionally on it.

I agree with @forcebwithu that is the perfect use-case for something like Ubuntu. Who cares if an O/S won't run Photoshop if you don't run Photoshop. :-) If you are spending most of your time in a browser, then it really does not matter which O/S is sitting underneath the browser. 

Many linux distributions can run as a "LiveCD" mode. This means you can put the O/S on a USB stick, and try it out without installing anything on your eeeBook. Try it for free. If it works for you, then great! Install it for free, and use it for free. I did something similar with my old Dell Netbook before I gave it away. (I found an Android tablet to be even lighter and easier to use.)

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#0

Ubuntu will run slower on a USB drive than it will properly installed on the eeeBook, so I would recommend concentrating on whether or not it can do the functions you need rather than how quickly it does the functions you need. 

I'd also second taking the eeeBook to any large computer shop with an English speaking tech guy. If not free, the time involved should only cost a couple of hundred baht at most. But the tutorial I linked to is pretty basic, so I'd suggest trying it yourself first. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/03/2019 at 02:38, doug said:

What lightweight OS would you suggest for my laptop and do you suggest a place in Pattaya that would set it up for me? Also about how much do you think it should cost. I don't game on it and I mainly just surf and watch some videos online occasionally on it. I have a motorbike and can get anywhere easily.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Your issue is a simple one. You can simply reinstall Windows 10 32 bit or dependent on how far you got, simply install Drivers for the keyboard and Trackpad. Whomever did the Windows 10 installation didn't have the facts before them, so were likely not prepared.

https://github.com/lopaka/instructions/blob/master/windows10-install-asus-x205ta.md

If it's too much for you, I will do it when I have the time. You can donate something to the orphan's home or similar.

You can see here that Windows 10 is fully supported; https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Laptops/ASUS_EeeBook_X205TA/specifications/

You of course can also reinstall 8.1. But since it was 8.1 with Bing, I wouldn't bother.

Better to pay a few baht for a Windows 10 Pro licence in order to defer pesky feature updates. Never hand your device over to a local technician. They will have no interest in applying any kind of genuine licence during the install.

Archived