IGNORED

Airline FAQs

timorno

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the links, good stuff there. My problem is that I think people tend to post more negative airline reviews than good, just my 2 cents.

Edited by uzogthemighty

Cheers

Paul "The Nutter"

ont06_023194.gifnikon.png

• 1 month later...

Excellent gouge.

Flown in & out of TH scores of times - knew about many of these sites, but not all. Particularly appreciate the airline equality link. Know also some new ways to arrive TH from PI (TG & SQ or Cebu Pacific). Hawaiian flying into & out of 2 stops in JPN, now into Korea & direct/ non-stop to MNL. Believe Hawaiian investigating direct flight HNL-BKK. Mentioning Hawaiian because

(1) their fares are cheaper than many, especially if you book in advance

(2) only 40K miles makes you a platinum with many benefits (that's about 2 trips mainland + 2 trips to Asia a year)

(3) they are upgrading their jets to newer airbuses

(4) food is good/ attendants great

Always check ORBITZ, EXPEDIA, TRAVELOCITY sites as well & use the "FLEXIBLE DATES" options on the leading airlines; Air travel competition tight, but there's an occasional deal to be found. Then -- once in TH, find a driver & stick with him every visit. After a few trips -- the fares can be negotiated down (frequent flyer like options) to include trading rides for stuff you bring in from your country (clothes, lotions, coffee etc.). Safe travels -- B

just out of curiosity - do most members book their flights online or use a travel agency? if they book online, which site do they think has the best flights on offer?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Great info. Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

@pirate69 , Check out Skyscanner.net

But be a bit cautious of some of the travel-agents who are on there, a good way is to google their name and the word 'problems', IME.

I myself do use Skyscanner, I especially like the ability to set up an 'Alert', with daily emails about the latest prices on the routes/dates I'm considering.

But I then check out the more-reputable agents, or booking direct with the airline, once I've found a fare which looks good.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Correct, as long as you don't plan on leaving the transit area you don't need a visa.

Fritzy

Unfortunately my closest airport or actually only choice I know of is with American Airlines out of Dallas and seems the cheapest way now is very unfortunately via Bejing or Shanghai  , China. NOw I did this last year except thru Shanghai to Cambodia and American airlines told me i would not have to reclaim my luggage in China

but yet those bastard Chinese made me go thru all the trouble and time waste to reclaim my luggage and waste all that time in Shanghai. Then to top it all off the airlines i had to take from Shanghai made everyone open your check in luggage while some a-hole goes thru it taking out what they want . In particular that was dragon air - actually same as cathay pacific.

It was supposed to be China eastern but i missed that one so they transferred me to dragon air.

My question is has anyone else had to fly via Bejing or Shanghai say to Bangkok or anywhere else for that matter in se asia and what was your experience. First did you have to reclaim luggage in China ? and 2nd did the airlines make you open your checkin luggage in front of them in Shanghai or Bejing ? and if so or not what airlines out of China in particular ?

Otherwise seems round trip is going to cost me around $400 more just to avoid China and fly thru Hong Kong instead which if of course much more preferable but not to the tune of $400 extra.

Edited by zmth

• 4 months later...

Flight from Zurich via Muscat to BKK with Oman air. 515,-- 2 hours wait for connecting flight... Flight date 27. February 2017

just out of curiosity - do most members book their flights online or use a travel agency? if they book online, which site do they think has the best flights on offer?

Travel Trolley virtually always

• 1 year later...

Looking at booking my flights using 110k air miles with Alaska Airlines partners, business class. The partners listed were Korean Air and Hainan. These links helped ease my mind considerably about the quality and comfort of the business class seats and seems like something I could probably deal with for the 30 + travel hours. Thank you again.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2018 at 16:14, oceanpro220 said:

Looking at booking my flights using 110k air miles with Alaska Airlines partners, business class. The partners listed were Korean Air and Hainan. These links helped ease my mind considerably about the quality and comfort of the business class seats and seems like something I could probably deal with for the 30 + travel hours. Thank you again.

Both Korean Air and Hainan have great hard products - their business class are fantastic, especially compared to the North American carrier's products. Air Canada actually has a decent J hard product though.

Using your Alaska Miles really is a great option. Assuming you're travelling from North America, Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong might be the best use of your points - you get a stay in HKG too! Great place to visit.

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2018 at 21:11, saffer said:

Both Korean Air and Hainan have great hard products - their business class are fantastic, especially compared to the North American carrier's products. Air Canada actually has a decent J hard product though.

Using your Alaska Miles really is a great option. Assuming you're travelling from North America, Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong might be the best use of your points - you get a stay in HKG too! Great place to visit.

Thanks for the information. I guess a night in Hong Kong wouldn't be all that bad? Although after flying business class I will be chomping at the bit to hit the ground running...

1 hour ago, oceanpro220 said:

Thanks for the information. I guess a night in Hong Kong wouldn't be all that bad? Although after flying business class I will be chomping at the bit to hit the ground running...

Stay in Hong Kong for a night, go try out the mongering life there. The 141 walk ups are pretty neat! I can point you in the right direction if you'd like.

Then get to the airport early and enjoy Cathay's 2x business class lounges!

I think it’s actually 10,000 less Alaska miles to book Cathay than Korean. Plus, although it’s not what it once was, I think Cathay biz is far better than Korean (at least from LAX, where Cathay is 1-2-1, while Korean is 2-2-2)

Two bigger issues:
- you cannot book one-way flights on Korean using Alaska miles - you have to book RT
- on that subject, I have found it very difficult to consistently find availability in Korean biz class using miles. Korean first has great availability, but their biz class is REALLY tough to book in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hy guys i found a really cheap flight from Paris to BKK with Turkmenistan Airlines, any info about this company ?

7 hours ago, RANITA said:

Hy guys i found a really cheap flight from Paris to BKK with Turkmenistan Airlines, any info about this company ?

Blog post from almost exactly one year ago -- it looks....ummmm....interesting

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/06/03/booking-turkmenistan-airlines/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RANITA said:

If you really are Albanian then I’m sure you’ll find them really, really, really good.

6 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Blog post from almost exactly one year ago -- it looks....ummmm....interesting

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/06/03/booking-turkmenistan-airlines/

:Laugh1:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2018 at 22:11, saffer said:

Have you flown PEK to SEA on Hainan? Curious on the configuration, SeatGuru lists 2-2-2, but I have read most routes have been upgraded to new seats in 1-2-1.