IGNORED

Any Cat Experts ?

Taa_Saparot

If you understand cats, try and answer this for me, as its doing my nut in.

I have had a cat, that I rescued as a kitten, for the last 7 years.

It's a very active cat that roams the sois and gets in the odd scrape now and again.

But he used up another life three days ago, when he got hit by a motorbike when trying to cross the soi.

He was in a lot of pain and I pretty much knew his left hip was dislocated.

Took him to Thonglor Vets on Sukhumvit and they confirmed what I thought that his hip was 100% dislocated and I was told he needed an op.

I was told that in Pattaya, Muang Ake on the Sukhumvit are the only ones who can operate on cats.

Visited Muang Ake yesterday with the cat, and it was a bit of gouging session, where I came out 3300 baht lighter, even though all the info, x-rays etc. had already been supplied by the Thonglor Clinic for what I thought was a reasonable 1900 baht.

Muang Ake have said they will give me a call when they have decided on a time for the operation ..... and so far there has been no call !!

And today I wake up, and the Cat is happy, in no pain, running around, jumping up and down, and eating food like he is trying to make up for the lost days.

Still not walking properly but its barely noticeable.

I really doubt the hip has re-attached itself.

Muang Ake have said around 12,000 baht for the op to reattach the hip.

But the cat has to be immobile for at least 3 weeks after the op for it to work, which is going to be hard on all of us.

The missus says, forget the op. and leave the cat as he is.

I am not sure, so considering his age, having to be boxed up for 3 weeks after the op. and the cost of the operation itself, what would you do ?

Pay for the Operation or just let nature do its thing ?

Any advice greatly received.

Some things to consider, cats are very good at concealing pain. In their view walking with a limp is a sign of weakness to a potential predator or opponent. That said, if he is running and jumping then I would question the vet. Take him back and point out the change in condition. 

If his hip is dislocated it will only get worse as he ages. If it’s an unnecessary operation then making a cat immobile for three weeks alone is torture, let alone the costs! 

4 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

And today I wake up, and the Cat is happy, in no pain, running around, jumping up and down, and eating food like he is trying to make up for the lost days. 

Doesn't seem in the slightest like behavior a cat with a dislocated hip would exhibit, IMO.

If it was my cat I raised from a kitten and cared about, I'd pay 12k bht ($400 USD?) in a heart beat, assuming I had it. Some joints can pop out, and pop back in of their own accord. I'd wait.

19 minutes ago, CyberPro said:

Doesn't seem in the slightest like behavior a cat with a dislocated hip would exhibit, IMO.

This is the X-Ray from 2 days ago.

CR14XJOOS.jpg.1eac35ff3d136629a98615c067bccb79.jpg

20 minutes ago, CyberPro said:

Some joints can pop out, and pop back in of their own accord. I'd wait.

Told this can not happen with a cat if it is 100% detached.

The operation they want to do involves cutting the ball part of his hip away and then re-attaching.

Hence why he will not be allowed to walk until it has healed.

4 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

This is the X-Ray from 2 days ago.

CR14XJOOS.jpg.1eac35ff3d136629a98615c067bccb79.jpg

Is that a Andy Murray hip ? With his stick ... 555 

Anyway , fair play for your full attention to your cat . I don’t really know what to do if my dog has same injury as yours but if he was in discomfort or in pain , I would go ahead with the Vet advice .  Last two month , I became very fond  of a three legged dog living on third rd near Maxx .. fed him nearly every night with beef kehabs  outside 7-11 shop .. he must have lost his leg in a third rd accident . 

Don't be fooled by the cat, its not going to cure itself and if it is not dealt with competently, the cat will live with pain for the rest of its days. As it roams around, it may not be able to run fast enough to save itself next time. It will also be prone to infections.   I would sensitively suggest that as you have had the cat for so long, you do have  a certain moral  resposnbility to get it sorted?  Maybe that's a view not held by others, but it is mine. By your kind actions for an injured cat, , you seem to share that feeling. 

15 minutes ago, Swineman said:

Don't be fooled by the cat, its not going to cure itself and if it is not dealt with competently, the cat will live with pain for the rest of its days. As it roams around, it may not be able to run fast enough to save itself next time. It will also be prone to infections.   I would sensitively suggest that as you have had the cat for so long, you do have  a certain moral  resposnbility to get it sorted?  Maybe that's a view not held by others, but it is mine. By your kind actions for an injured cat, , you seem to share that feeling. 

Having seen the X-ray pictures, I agree completely with Swineman. At his age he still wants to hunt and explore and if he can’t escape from danger quickly enough you might lose him. You really wouldn’t want that on your conscience.  

What do we reckon the life expectancy of a well looked after but very much an outdoor cat is in Pattaya ?

Males are at greater risk because they are more territorial and roam further. Females are less likely to get into fights and thus catch diseases or have injuries. I personally believe that outdoor cats, being able to follow the life they were designed for, have a greater sense of well-being than those locked inside. Cities are dangerous places for cats, but those brought up in the city are smart enough to avoid most dangers. 

No reason to think he won’t be able to live to at least 12yo, but he may well have given up roaming by then. Ours at 10yo go out less and roam shorter distances. They are smart enough to avoid fighting these days unless it’s a much smaller cat. 

Thai Vets tell me that its impossible to put a hip back into place.

So they plan to cut the ball part off, so they can get it back in place.

Yet, here is a vet doing what they say can not be done.

(Sorry, I am waiting for the football to start)

https://www.vetclickforum.co.uk/read.php?7,17004

When a cat's hip has been dislocated it cannot be returned permanantly into its socket.
The Head of the Femur ( The 'ball') becomes attached by fibrous tissue about 1 cm away from the original socket, and a 'false joint ' is formed. This about 90% as effective as the original;. and once it is healed the cat copes remarkably well. It will take 8 to 12 weeks.
The resulting hind leg is a little shorter, but the cat compensates very well by holding it a bit straighter.
Alternativly, complicated surgery can be carried out, reducing the dislocation and attaching the head of the femur into the socket using a 'toggle' but the final results are rarely any better than leaving it alone as described above.
Remember that cats carry a far smaller proportion of there weight on their hips than we do.

Charley_says.jpg.919cfc7244852f50b4c892aff8aca7d7.jpg

Charlie says mrraaooooowww mrrrroooooowww mrrrrooowwww..... {Translation} irrespective of what you do, hope he gets fully fit soon.:)

(Might be lost on non Brits)

7 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

(Sorry, I am waiting for the football to start)

https://www.vetclickforum.co.uk/read.php?7,17004

When a cat's hip has been dislocated it cannot be returned permanantly into its socket.
The Head of the Femur ( The 'ball') becomes attached by fibrous tissue about 1 cm away from the original socket, and a 'false joint ' is formed. This about 90% as effective as the original;. and once it is healed the cat copes remarkably well. It will take 8 to 12 weeks.
The resulting hind leg is a little shorter, but the cat compensates very well by holding it a bit straighter.
Alternativly, complicated surgery can be carried out, reducing the dislocation and attaching the head of the femur into the socket using a 'toggle' but the final results are rarely any better than leaving it alone as described above.
Remember that cats carry a far smaller proportion of there weight on their hips than we do.

I'd say you have your answer.  Turns out your wife was right after all. :Think1:

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

1 hour ago, Buddy Edgewood said:

I'd say you have your answer.  Turns out your wife was right after all. :Think1:

Yes, but then you are believing someone on a Forum  :unsure:

15 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Yes, but then you are believing someone on a Forum  :unsure:

Oh the irony...  :D

The reply came from an admin of that forum in a section called "ask the vet".  Can we assume that the admin is a vet?

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

Cat is looking even better today.

Still have not made up my mind what to do.

Maybe I am just too cynical, but its the old problem when in Thailand, are they giving you the best advice or are they giving you advice so they make a bunch of money off you ?

Here is Muang Akes bill from two days ago.

Now remember I have already been to Thonglor Clinic who gave me their x-ray and summary, and was told to give to Muang Ake and they would perform the operation.

1. No idea

2. No idea

3. Told that these were blood tests they had to carry out before the op.

4. No idea

5. Told that the X-Ray showed he was pretty full of poo, which is pretty normal for this cat who only seems to shit every three days or so. But I was under the impression they wanted to remove this before the op.

6 & 7, I presume is the Vets actual fees.

After that, could I trust them, to tell me the truth ?

img_6738.jpg.501b19a99af50c098fba838ad19c2c29.jpg

22 hours ago, The Sperminator said:

Give paws a ring in Bangkok might be able to help you with an honest assessment.

Sorry only have a Facebook page link. https://m.facebook.com/pawsbangkok/

You Sir, are a Star !

Got some very helpful advice there.

And if I follow it, it is not to operate.

Going to go back to Vet who took the X-Ray tomorrow and make a plan for this.

Archived