IGNORED

Not able to attend immigration for extension of visa.

udontony

Does anyone know if there is a way to extend a visa if you are unable to attend immigration because you are in hospital?   I have just extended my married visa and at the time I asked the immigration officer what I should do if this happened.   His reply was that I should extend the visa before I was sick!   I am OK now for the next year but there is a chance this could happen to me and I would love to hear of a way to manage this situation.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

31 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

Keyvisa has been a great help for me in the past but this is just about 90 day reporting which I know my wife can do for me because she already has done this.   What I want to know is if I can do an extension if I was in hospital or could not travel to immigration, we live more than 100 kilometers from the nearest office!

IIRC, hospitals have a person available to help with visa issues if you're incapacitated. I would suggest stopping by your local hospital and asking them.

On 18/01/2019 at 09:05, udontony said:

Does anyone know if there is a way to extend a visa if you are unable to attend immigration because you are in hospital?   I have just extended my married visa and at the time I asked the immigration officer what I should do if this happened.   His reply was that I should extend the visa before I was sick!   I am OK now for the next year but there is a chance this could happen to me and I would love to hear of a way to manage this situation.

I was in hospital for extended period and was told it would be OK if I had letter from hospltal. When went to Immigration nearly 3 months later was told OK but you still have to pay 20,000 baht fine and 2,000 baht for 3month stay. 

4 minutes ago, Insomniac said:

I was in hospital for extended period and was told it would be OK if I had letter from hospltal. When went to Immigration nearly 3 months later was told OK but you still have to pay 20,000 baht fine and 2,000 baht for 3month stay. 

What visa was you on when this happened?  I am on a married visa.

Think getting an agent to do it might be the way to go.

45 minutes ago, Tarl said:

Think getting an agent to do it might be the way to go.

Normally married visa are not done by the agents but in a case like this it could be a solution, thanks for the idea.

17 hours ago, udontony said:

Normally married visa are not done by the agents but in a case like this it could be a solution, thanks for the idea.

I think marriage visas are rarely done by agents because they are sent to immigration Police in Bangkok whilst Retirement visas are much simpler and when I swapped to Retirement visa last time was completed in 10 minutes. 

I had a friend on holiday that overstayed by about 5 days by accident, so he went to a local doctor on the soi, asked him to write a letter saying he was ill and unable to make it over to immigration to file an extension, the doc did it for a small fee and my friend didn't get any overstay complications.

3 hours ago, Insomniac said:

I think marriage visas are rarely done by agents because they are sent to immigration Police in Bangkok whilst Retirement visas are much simpler and when I swapped to Retirement visa last time was completed in 10 minutes. 

Yes I have had retirement extension done in ten minutes before, the marriage one this time took  one hour and twenty minutes if I remember correct and that was by far the fastest I have ever done one.   Each time I have had all the paperwork requested but it has often taken more than two hours and sometimes required a second visit!   With the new rules for income and UK embassy not issueing paperwork to prove income I have had to resort to money in the bank. 

2 hours ago, Wolf Cat said:

I had a friend on holiday that overstayed by about 5 days by accident, so he went to a local doctor on the soi, asked him to write a letter saying he was ill and unable to make it over to immigration to file an extension, the doc did it for a small fee and my friend didn't get any overstay complications.

In my case I always attend on time for 90 days or extension but had a problem recently which ended up with a stay in hospital, fortunately not when the visa was due but it could have so easily have been.   From what you have written it seems that I might be OK if this happened but I know it is just up to the individual immigration officer at the time.   Was hoping that there might be some rule to guide us.

On 18/01/2019 at 09:05, udontony said:

I know from personal experience it used to be possible, and probably still is, but sort of under the table. You need an agent or lawyer that has connections with the local Immigration office. As to an "official" way, I think you got your response already. As I am sure you know, you do have a month to do it, - hopefully you will not be so sick that you would be hospitalized for such a long time. 

Archived