IGNORED

Toronto to Bangkok

Danolo

I've started very preliminary research for this flight . Here's what i've discovered so far:

Note: at 6'2" with long legs, I need Premium Economy or Business class.

My trip will be for 30 days and I'm looking at Feb/Mar, although that will probably change.

EVA Air

Flight 35  $1,634
 12:45am Mon Feb 18
Toronto (YYZ)
 18.20 km. away from YTZ
5:25am Tue Feb 19
Taipei (TPE)
15h 40m
Premium Economy
  Layover: TPE, Taipei, Taiwan, 2h 20m

Eva Airways
Flight 211  
 7:45am Tue Feb 19
Taipei (TPE)
10:40am Tue Feb 19
Bangkok (BKK)
3h 55m
Premium Economy
Trip Time (w/ layovers): 21h 55m 1stops

===============

China Southern Airlines
Flight 312  $1,682
 12:30am Tue Feb 19
Toronto (YYZ)
 18.20 km. away from YTZ
5:10am Wed Feb 20
Guangzhou (CAN)
15h 40m
Premium Economy
  Layover: CAN, Guangzhou, China, 3h 35m

China Southern Airlines
Flight 357
 8:45am Wed Feb 20
Guangzhou (CAN)
10:45am Wed Feb 20
Bangkok (BKK)
3h
Economy
Trip Time (w/ layovers): 22h 15m 1stops    Select this departure

China Southern Airlines
Flight 362
 8:40am Mon Mar 18
Bangkok (BKK)
12:25pm Mon Mar 18
Guangzhou (CAN)
2h 45m
Economy
  Layover: CAN, Guangzhou, China, 2h

China Southern Airlines
Flight 311
 2:25pm Mon Mar 18
Guangzhou (CAN)
5:30pm Mon Mar 18
Toronto (YYZ)
 18.20 km. away from YTZ
15h 5m
Premium Economy

Both of those flights have acceptable layover times, however the China Southern legs from Guangzhou to Bangkok and back, are listed only as economy. Not sure I can mange 3 hours.  I have also read here that the airport at Guangzhou is a bit crazy, so it will probably end up with EVA.

Unless you folks have a better suggestion?

Thanks

There was a recent discussion on flyertalk about cheap business class fares from YUL to BKK on qatar for about $2k. Look on the premium fares thread.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Another interesting thing... if I extend my visit to just under 60 days, the fare is about the same!

So, the added cost of hotel and food and play might be manageable.

Further research needed.

1 minute ago, basket case said:

There was a recent discussion on flyertalk about cheap business class fares from YUL to BKK on qatar for about $2k. Look on the premium fares thread.

Thanks, I'll check it out... I think Qatar has good reviews, no?

Qatar business class is awesome. I think they have their new qsuites to Montreal

Going through China could be a problem bow and you have to go through immigration. 

I flew EVA a couple times and like the flight times, arriving midday is great.

I normally fly United, since I have status with them and can get upgrades, EVA would be around the shortest flight times.

1 hour ago, kdogg said:

Going through China could be a problem bow and you have to go through immigration. 

I flew EVA a couple times and like the flight times, arriving midday is great.

I normally fly United, since I have status with them and can get upgrades, EVA would be around the shortest flight times.

I have been through both Shanghai and Beijing and didn't have to go through immigration, but like all international connection did have to pass through security. I would think that Guangzhou wouldn't be any different. The lesson I learned is not to fly on any China airline again, service wasn't good and even the airports leave a lot to be desired.  

I normally fly Delta for the same reason as you fly United. If for any reason I would change airlines, it would be with EVA. Their Premium Economy is pretty good. Also flying through Taiwan is easy and has a nice airport.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

You have to get a 1 day transit visa in China,  I went through Shanghai twice last year and had to walk all the way to the end and stand in the transit visa line. Fill out the form and talk to the immigration officer. THen had to go check in with the airline and and get another boarding card. Maybe you were with the same airline, but I went from United to Juneyao air. Then I had to go back through security.

Hong Kong and Tokyo, I had to go only through security as long as I had a boarding card

Am also looking at Toronto to BKK for October trip, consistently have flown EWR to SFO, then with EVA onwards, TPE by far easiest  transit airport I've been thru, and flying EVA a true no brainer .  I would suggest  ;looking at EVA biz class ( i always use), it's hard to beat. Good luck.

I would also join EVA Infinitymileage club, well worth it.

4 hours ago, kdogg said:

You have to get a 1 day transit visa in China,  I went through Shanghai twice last year and had to walk all the way to the end and stand in the transit visa line. Fill out the form and talk to the immigration officer. THen had to go check in with the airline and and get another boarding card. Maybe you were with the same airline, but I went from United to Juneyao air. Then I had to go back through security.

I have also gone through Shanghai twice, but I guess I was lucky. I was changing from Delta to China Eastern and had gotten my boarding pass when I checked in at the Delta Ticket counter before leaving the US both times. On the return from Bangkok, China Eastern gave me a boarding pass for the Shanghai back to Detroit to get through the security check point, but I had to go the gate to get a new boarding pass there as well as my boarding pass from Detroit back to Houston my home airport.

One time through Beijing the Delta flight was late arriving so miss the connection with Air China and Delta put me up for the night in a hotel. I had to do the visa thing when leaving the airport and in the morning go through immigration to return back in at the airport. Passport stamped in and out of China for a 12 hour stay.

LeoTeo

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

On 17/01/2019 at 02:16, Danolo said:

Another interesting thing... if I extend my visit to just under 60 days, the fare is about the same!

So, the added cost of hotel and food and play might be manageable.

Further research needed.

And a visa to board the first flight.

On 18/01/2019 at 11:31, frankie1478 said:

Am also looking at Toronto to BKK for October trip, consistently have flown EWR to SFO, then with EVA onwards, TPE by far easiest  transit airport I've been thru, and flying EVA a true no brainer .  I would suggest  ;looking at EVA biz class ( i always use), it's hard to beat. Good luck.

I would also join EVA Infinitymileage club, well worth it.

Toronto - Newark - San Francisco-Taipei - Bangkok vs. Toronto - Taipei  - Bangkok on the same airline, who wants 4 stops? Cathay through Hong Kong is an option and Air Canada/Thai the remainder for flying west. You can fly east on a host of airlines but stops in the middle east are not for me. E.g. BA through London or the mid east airlines like Emirates, Etihad, Qatar. I don't think they are faster or cheaper. 

I think yo missed my analogy Rick, from ewr, it's always gonna be two stops going west, used to fly ewr to sfo, sleep over then onto bkk on eva thru taipei,  b4 the new terminal at lhr i always 

would go east thru london, sleep the afternoon away then onto that night's flight to bkk, at my age and with a cranky knee the distances in the terminal at lhr put a much regretted end to that

route, regrettably too, good luck with ur choice though

• 2 months later...

Reviving this older thread, I've been researching flights and its looking like I'll use EVA. There are several flights all around 42000 baht ($1,671 CDN) and if I'm careful I'll get Premium Economy all the way. There are some flights which has the Taipei > Bangkok leg listed as only Economy, so I assume they are on their older narrow body aircraft.

At 6'2" I'm not sure I can stand the Economy seating for 3 1/2 hours.

More research needed.

I've been using Flight hub but there's no easy info on what aircraft is used, etc.

Kayak or EVA.com will have the aircraft

Yup, I found out...

Its the difference between wide body and narrow body. The Narrow body planes Airbus A321 has seat pitch at 31-32 and the Boeing 777-300 has seat pitch at 33 inches . 

From what i'm reading here, and elsewhere, 33 inches is a bare minimum.

In Premium Economy in EVA's B777-300ER the pitch is 38"

I'm 6'2", with long legs. I think premium economy is necessary.

So that limits my choices bit... some of the flights with full premium Economy all the way, have somewhat longer layovers in Taipei.

I wish i could find some sample aircraft seats to actually feel the legroom.

Check the reader reviews in lower right column on SeatGuru.

IIRC, EVA has underseat entertainment units in PE, so you want to be careful about seat selection.

Having flown EVA and China Southern (albeit both in biz class), I would DEFINITELY go with EVA. China Southern biz was fine, but the economy leg from Guangzhou (CAN) to BKK could be brutal (even if it is less than 3 hours).

My experience at CAN is limited, but I simply went through transit screening and did not have to get any kind of visa. I was ticketed all the way through (with boarding passes), though, so maybe that is why?

I also think TPE is a “friendlier” airport than CAN. I think CAN has far more traffic, especially among mainland Chinese travelers.

I’m 6’2” (with balky knees!) and I would never consider flying that far in economy. LAX to JFK is about as far as I will go, and even then I only do “Main Cabin Extra.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fly EVA PE  LAX  BKK   If  you get the AM FLIGHT 211 TPE. BKK you’ll get a PE seat. 

I’m 6’2 and I find the PE seat to have plenty of room.  Enough to stretch my legs out and plenty of elbow room. In economy I’m all elbows and knees 

i don’t know if it’s the best use of miles but for 35,000 points you can upgrade one leg of your PE flight to business. For me it’s the LAX  TPE leg. Makes a nice start for your holiday 

Archived