IGNORED

Looking for a Suggestion for a Surprise Birthday Party for a Thai Lady

ChiFlyer

Been going through my lists of places and none feels quite right for this. Here is my wish list:

• It is me and 5 Thai Ladies from Isan. So an all Farang food spot is out and Westernized Thai food would be worse.
  • I would prefer a Jomtien location to a Pattaya one due to logistics, but that is not a show stopper. Still a Jomtien Beach Road place would be great.
  • We did this last year at Sandbar and that is the top end price point I have in mind. I am looking for a nicer location, but not a high end one. Sandbar is a possibility, but I would like to come up with something new and their Thai food is a little Westernized.
  • Pupen's could work, but been there and done it a little too often.
  • Tom Lai on 3rd Road has very good Thai food, but again been there and done it a little too often.
  • I think the food at So's is very good, but I am looking for something a little more upscale, without breaking the bank.

Thanks for any suggestions. I voted for Taco-Taco and that was not viewed as acceptable for this occasion. :sad:

I’ve been trying to think of places I’m not too keen on, as you’re more likely to prefer those :P

I don’t eat seafood or much Thai, but friend’s wife insists on going to Pupen each time they stay in Jomtien. A wild card may be Yupin’s in Jomtien Complex. Decent European food and a reasonable Thai menu as well. Not sure it’s the ambiance you’re looking for though.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

5 hours ago, davidge said:

I don’t eat seafood or much Thai, but friend’s wife insists on going to Pupen each time they stay in Jomtien. ......

This may well be taken as absolute heresy by some, but the last two times we have been to Pupen's they have been off their game. Not just me saying this. The GF and some of her friends have expressed similar views. Hope they get it turned around, as I have had many fun times here.

there is a excellent seafood place exactly 5klms from the arch as you enter jointem from pattaya , follow the beach and keep going . if i remember right it has a big crab up on a sign , jammed packed full of thai people . good value

6 hours ago, jiz said:

MAYS on Theprasit might be what you are looking for?

Looks interesting. Thanks.

9 hours ago, onehunglo said:

........ if i remember right it has a big crab up on a sign , jammed packed full of thai people . good value

You are describing Pupen's. As I described above, we have been a little disappointed with it as of late. Been many times and enjoyed, but there seems to have been some kind of change recently. Hope they get it back together.

18 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I think the food at So's is very good, but I am looking for something a little more upscale, 

If the ladies are from Issan save your money pointless going upscale.

Just take them to a Thai Seafood buffet and shout a couple bottles of whiskey.

Sorted .

6 hours ago, Czmate said:

Looks interesting, but if I am reading this right, this appears to be more of a Lunch spot that closes at 18:00. Due to various working schedules we have a post-sunset party in mind.

7 hours ago, Pheat said:

If the ladies are from Issan save your money pointless going upscale.

The ladies all grew up in Isan, but they are in their 30s and 40s now. I am almost 70, so I think 40 is young. Most have built successful careers with small businesses and in one case condo resales. They all mostly own their own cars and none of them are working in the sex industry (at least that I know of). :)

I do agree that something high end like Cafe des Amis would be a waste of money. But something mid-range like Mays sounds like the right touch. The GF and I are going over there tomorrow to check it out.

15 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

The ladies all grew up in Isan, but they are in their 30s and 40s now. I am almost 70, so I think 40 is young. Most have built successful careers with small businesses

You can take the lady out of Isan .

But you will never take the Isan out of the lady

1 hour ago, Pheat said:

You can take the lady out of Isan .

But you will never take the Isan out of the lady

Very true and it goes well beyond Isan. Everyone is at least in part a product of where they grew up.

2 hours ago, jiz said:

The Glass House on the beach would make a memorable occasion.

Check the prices first. 

The Glass House is definitely on my to try list, but I think I will save that for a two person dinner with the GF and me only.

A year or so ago "Catch of the Day" took me to a BBQ/Buffet type place down the end of the Rhompo complex. It was her choice to go there and it was very much a Thai type venue.

I enjoyed the food too as we each got these BBQ dome things that sat over a gas ring in the table. Then we could go hunting along the racks and chillers of all sorts of edible stuff and bring them back to the table and cook on the BBQ. If I remember correctly it was possible to make as many trips to the food selection as you wished.  Not at all expensive.

Maybe your Issan ladies would enjoy this place. Just a thought though, I have heard that the Rhompo complex is winding down, it may pay to check that the BBQ place is still there.

Grit.

Whatever you choose it won't be as good as asking her and her friends where they would like to dine and go afterwards. The possibility of you knowing what she likes is very low. I know you said surprise but in my experience surprise parties and events are always a let down anyway. just ask her. 

See you at Le Pub, soi Diamond.

Le Pub Facebook Page

Le Pub YouTube Channel

Another idea maybe a bit more upscale in terms of the food and price but well worth it for the quality and standard.

Alter Ego next door to Papayago Soi Diana you would need to book though. You can have 2 or 3 courses about 800 each.

Archived