IGNORED

Tipping delivery guys

joe1213

Just wondering if any of you guys tip the delivery guys from Lazada or other online shopping sites.?

1 hour ago, joe1213 said:

Just wondering if any of you guys tip the delivery guys from Lazada or other online shopping sites.?

I always pay Lazada orders at 7/11. Therefore I receive the shipment without usually having some money in my home shorts when opening the gate.

I never tipped one of these guys and I believe that they don't expect a tip anyway.

4 hours ago, joe1213 said:

555.  Some people have the idea of tipping so strongly embedded in their minds or culture that this question occurs to them.

It would never occur to me.

You order on-line, the price is clear, just pay that. The company has factored the delivery cost into the price you agree to. No need for tips !

The idea of tipping is actually rare to me but since i have lived in Thailand it seems like everyone seems to expect a tip, from petrol attendants to bar staff, so i thought i would just ask.

19 hours ago, Hot&Spicy said:

I always pay Lazada orders at 7/11. Therefore I receive the shipment without usually having some money in my home shorts when opening the gate.

I never tipped one of these guys and I believe that they don't expect a tip anyway.

Oh i didn't know you could do that but I always buy COD and the guys seem to hesitate a bit too long after I have paid them before they drive away 555.

A few months ago when Lazada was doing free delivery on everything I used to tip the delivery guys 20 Baht or a bit more to round the total up. Now they're charging for postage I don't tip any more.

(I always pay COD by the way)

On 09/12/2018 at 14:57, joe1213 said:

Oh i didn't know you could do that but I always buy COD and the guys seem to hesitate a bit too long after I have paid them before they drive away 555.

I always use direct payment from my Thai bank account. Faster and easier to do than making a trip to 7/11. As for COD, when I first started ordering from Lazada several years ago the first couple of orders I used COD. After those few first orders I always use direct payment now and have never had a problem in the dozens of orders made since then.

And never, ever crossed my mind to tip the delivery guy, and I'm American. The hesitation you noticed with the delivery guy was probably him just completing the recording of the delivery.

I order from Lazada often (cash on delivery only) and I never tip, early on I notice they hesitated when I paid with notes far above the payment price, forcing them to pay me back with a lot of their change. 

Now when I order, I set aside the exact payment (or very close to it) on my table and when they deliver they are happy to only have to give me a couple of coins.

I noticed a lot of Farangs not only didn't tip for a free buffet at my hotel or next to me at a GoGo, etc.  I find it cheap but if the role was reversed, Asian people back home are very cheap with the tips so stiff em' every time if you want.

I tip, but when in Asia do as the Asians do.  Don't think they even tip at a restaurant.  Don't dwell on it as I don't think they care that much.  If you were the delivery guy and they were the customer they wouldn't think twice about giving you nothing and not even saying thank you.

I've been reducing what I tip back home too, it adds up to ridiculous amounts of money if you go out a lot.

4 hours ago, Gibsons1 said:

I noticed a lot of Farangs not only didn't tip for a free buffet at my hotel or next to me at a GoGo, etc.  I find it cheap but if the role was reversed, Asian people back home are very cheap with the tips so stiff em' every time if you want.

I tip, but when in Asia do as the Asians do.  Don't think they even tip at a restaurant.  Don't dwell on it as I don't think they care that much.  If you were the delivery guy and they were the customer they wouldn't think twice about giving you nothing and not even saying thank you.

I've been reducing what I tip back home too, it adds up to ridiculous amounts of money if you go out a lot.

Tipping at a free buffet (hotel breakfast I am assuming)? I am an American and tipping is ingrained in me, but I have never heard of that in my life! 

4 hours ago, Gibsons1 said:

Tipping at home (USA anyway) is really necessary, because they pay the waiters a ridiculously low wage, assuming there will be tips.

And whether or not it's a free buffet, the poor waiters in Thailand work very long hours for almost nothing. Throw them a crumb.

Tipping at home (USA anyway) is really necessary, because they pay the waiters a ridiculously low wage, assuming there will be tips.
And whether or not it's a free buffet, the poor waiters in Thailand work very long hours for almost nothing. Throw them a crumb.
I hope you tip 7 Eleven girls also, they work long hours for low pay

4 hours ago, Biennial said:

I tipped the girls in there every day.  Like I said, I was getting a free breakfast and was saving money for one meal per day so a couple bucks for a tip wasn't a problem.  I saw most people not tip, just walk out.

• 1 month later...

I can't comment on Lazada .... at home if I order from Amazon , it is all paid for on a credit card , and now Amazon uses its' own delivery people "Prime"  or a basic UPS , Fedex , or USPS . These guys are usually back in their trucks by the time I get to the door.   I don't know of any national company who offers COD aside from perhaps a local department store. Seems to be an archaic concept. Why have your delivery guys be non productive while granny looks for purse ? 

In Thailand if I order a pizza, usually it's a motorbike  driver so I will give a small tip. 

Areca has a breakfast buffet included in the room rate....if I ask for something special like freshly cooked eggs, if they refill my coffee, I will leave a small tip . I have stayed at Whitehouse on Soi 13 many times . They offer a  complimentary  breakfast that is cooked to order from a limited menu. I always leave 20 B or so and I'm not alone doing this. 

If you can't afford a small gratuity in a restaurant , get takeaway , if you can't afford to drop 20 or 30 B for the lady that changes your shit stained sheets , avoid the hotel for a condo  .  Whatever reason you for not tipping while on holiday , you will always be a cheap ass to me .  When the average day is over , I may spend 100B on tips, about the cost of a beer.

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

Don't dwell on this tipping thing.  I usually tip when in Thailand but if I get crappy service I'll stiff em'.  Like I said before, if the role was reversed, Asian people in your country - they'll stiff you and not think twice.  Tipping isn't in their culture. 

I thought the girls were working hard in the free buffet and were friendly with me so I tipped them every day.  There was an Asian American that asked them for special orders and gave nothing.

Archived