IGNORED

Anyone have restaurant reco for som tam and fried chicken?

Yes, this can be found on food carts and cheap/good - but those things move around. In September it was quite difficult to find both som tam AND friend chicken in one restaurant - appreciate any tips you have. (staying at LK Metro). Gladly buy you a beer for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, expatdude said:

Sum tom is usually eaten with grilled chicken--is that what you mean?

No - I really enjoy the combo of deep fried chicken, som tam (and sticky rice). Definitely food cart type items, but I'd love to find restaurants that have them.

BTW there are some incredibly well detailed food reviews on PA. So much more than a 'mongers' board!

I can't recall ever seeing that combination at a Sum Tom restaurant. You may find some restaurant that has both, but it's not common.

For sum tom and gai yang (grilled chicken), I recommend the place opposite The Village on Third Road. Here's the google maps:

Street View of Restaurant

Grab some to go and add some fried chicken and you're good to go. For fried chicken, it's a matter of trying various carts. I like one HERE which is open perhaps 11 am to 4 pm, but only when he feels like it. It's good because the sauce has some ginger in it, not common but very delicious.

This place is on darkside, Khao talo road. My best som tam ever eaten. 

Grilled chicken and pork. 

Screenshot_2018-11-14-07-32-43.png

Screenshot_2018-11-14-07-34-20~2.png

20180919_121800.jpg

Thank you gents, appreciate the tips. 2 months ago a cook in the Jolly Friar (Lengkee) was in disbelief that I wanted this combo, but was nice enough to whip up deep fried chicken tenders and som tam, then got some sticky rice from a vendor. Very nice of her but each was a full meal, and it was off the menu and wasn't repeat worthy.

1 hour ago, miesnalle said:

20180919_121800.jpg

Just YUM.  Sooo long till my next trip. :(

7 hours ago, keepitfun said:

Just YUM.  Sooo long till my next trip. :(

Yes looks like a proper Isan restaurant. I wonder how far it is from Sukhumvit?

33 minutes ago, jpmelville said:

Yes looks like a proper Isan restaurant. I wonder how far it is from Sukhumvit?

1.1km says Google maps. 

Is that Isaan restaurant in central festival still open? Its in a similar location to Carls Jr

Baku Cafe and Guesthouse do a really great Som Tam  for 100 baht and excellent fried chicken wings (6) for 120 baht, it is a really nice Cafe, air conditioned , friendly staff and terrific food.

If you walk south on Soi Buakhao from LK (where you are staying) proceed past Soi Dianna towards Soi 15, approx 200 meters, turn right just after Asia Backpackers walk 25 meters turn right and you will find Baku Cafe.

U can also find this combo in the small market on Soi Buakhow.. Buy ur food there and eat in room.

The food court nearby sale also som -tam. U can buy ur chicken in the market and eat there.  Cheap and tasty. 

If you are staying on LK Metro, try this food cart very close by, it's the best Som Tam cart in that are, they also sell grilled chicken and delicious Nam Tok moo/stick rice.  It's always busy in the daytime and been there for years.  

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.9289164,100.8846458,3a,75y,189.98h,75.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smS6kkmI8k860HVErb9NjPg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

On 14/11/2018 at 16:59, mlay said:

U can also find this combo in the small market on Soi Buakhow.. Buy ur food there and eat in room.

The food court nearby sale also som -tam. U can buy ur chicken in the market and eat there.  Cheap and tasty. 

This is about the only place I could think of was well, there are 3 fried chicken vendors and a couple of som tam ones and you could just eat it all in the food court, no AC though. I have never had fried chicken with som tam but I imagine the grease of the fried chicken would go really well with the spiciness of som tam. I often buy the fried chicken to eat with one of the buffet offerings.

Archived