IGNORED

Chang Mai - Please can you help?

GorGuy RIP

An American, a Chinese and a Thai decide to go with me to Chang Mai - seems like the first line of a joke !

Well it is true, I will be driving my own car with my Lady friend and my American and Chinese friend to Chang Mai in one month to check it out.

Obviously I can check reviews across the internet, thing is I was hoping that some PA readers/contributors could share their experiences of the good the bad and the ugly (with a focus on the good).

Question 1 - place to stay;

Reasonable price but "nice" hotel with WiFi and air con, clean and comfortable, maybe buffet breakfast included, must have car parking. Not the cheapest but not the Hilton. I have a car, so central location not critical, but would be a bonus. Price range anywhere between 300 baht and 3,000 baht a night for a room. 

Accommodation wish list:

Me; table and 2 chairs in the room , comfortable western style bed or hard mattress with mattress top.

My American Friend; WiFi

My Lady Friend; Must have Air Con

Chinese Lady; WiFi and Air Con, "nice" place.

My American friend is doing most (all) of the organisation and it will be one less thing to be concerned about if we can get a recommended "nice" hotel sorted in the next few days.

Question 2 - food places;

We are all happy with Thai food. For variety, any recommended English/American/Australian/Italian would be good. [ Having worked in China for 3 years NO Chinese food please, I no likie ]

Question 3 - Must go places to see;

Looking to stay for 3 whole days, 4 nights (plus travel) maybe longer. Travel up on Thursday 29th Nov (about 11.5 hours drive according to Google Maps) get there for Thursday evening, stay until Monday morning, longer if we like it and want to stay longer. Myself and my Lady Friend will be taking time off work to show our guests around, so we would like to make the best use of our time, however work is flexible enough to tack on a few more holiday days if wanted. My Lady friend likes flowers, My American and Chinese friend like walking.

Anyone who lives in the area or will be there end of November/start of December and wants to meet up, let me know.

Thank you in advance for anyone who can contribute in a positive way.

P.S. While up that way is it worth going to Chang Rai? Google Maps puts it as just over 3 hours drive from Chang Mai, and just over 1 hour extra driving on my return home.

You may want to check out Royal Park Rajapruek.  It’s a large botanical garden not far from the downtown area.  There’s an enormous variety of flowers to view and it makes for a nice walk, although bicycles and a trolley are available.  

We stayed here on three trips. 5 floors but has a lift. not sure about table & 2 chairs but you could ask. plenty of parking

https://www.expedia.com/Chiang-Mai-Province-Hotels-Nice-Mum-Lodge.h6723209.Hotel-Information

Things to do

http://www.chiangmai.bangkok.com/attractions/top-ten.htm

Mae Sa valley has a lot of stuff in a small area including this Tiger Kingdom. Don't 

http://www.paintmeparadise.com/2016/03/06/tiger-kingdom/

Zoo is also worth a visit

www.sugarcanemafia.com

Do you prefer to be near Loi Kroh Rd, which is a fun, seedy, backpackerish area with girly bars, normal bars, restaurants and a large night market? Or would a more upscale, modern area (Nimman) suit you better? They are not that far apart, so you can experience both, but for walking around on a daily basis, I prefer to stay in Nimman. I've had good luck searching Agoda for the best hotel deals. Find a place that fits your criteria and make sure it has enough reviews to be a valid sample size.

I used TripAdvisor to find good food places. My favorite was a little hole in the wall in Nimman that had fantastic chicken and sticky rice. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cherng+Doi+Roast+Chicken/@18.7974284,98.9658745,17z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x30da3a7e90bb6f5d:0x98d46270a59b4367!2sChiang+Mai,+Mueang+Chiang+Mai+District,+Chiang+Mai,+Thailand!3b1!8m2!3d18.7060641!4d98.9817163!3m4!1s0x30da3a622edf94b3:0xf783ee7220bc8a30!8m2!3d18.7991849!4d98.9660977

In addition to the other sightseeing recommendations, the city wall and moat are beautiful in my opinion, and of course you have to check out Tha Pae Gate to take some selfies and feed the pigeons. Doi Suthep is a scenic drive that I also recommend.

I like Chiang Rai, but I wouldn't bother on such a short trip. Chiang Mai has more than enough to keep you busy for such a short trip. Enjoy!

Mai Ping is a good hotel, has a buffet breakfast, price around 2000bht + dependant on room type. Close to night market and loads of parking.

Just had a week at Wangburapa Grand.

Great value  although the (free) breakfast was a little ordinary.

You can lead a horticulture but you can't teach a prototype

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

The GF and I are looking into a 4 day or so trip to Chiang Mai next March. Neither of us have ever been. Airfares are very cheap from what I see. I can get two round trip tickets for about 5000 THB on Thai Smiles.

Lots of good info in the threads in this forum and I will read thru those.

I am not looking for any p4p recommendations, but would be interested in any non-p4p hotel recommendations or any interesting tourist spots. Good restaurants would be cool as well. Not looking to go Cheap Charlie on this, but also not looking to break the piggy bank either.

Sounds like something in the Nimman area is what I want. Gotta try some of that Chiang Mai Chicken and also the sausages while we are there. The botanical gardens, the zoo, the night market, the King's Palace, and Tha Pae Gate all sound worth a visit for a first trip.

I would not mind paying up for a better hotel. Let's say a 6000 a night limit. I'll do some searches, but recommendations would be appreciated. 

7 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

The GF and I are looking into a 4 day or so trip to Chiang Mai next March. Neither of us have ever been. Airfares are very cheap from what I see. I can get two round trip tickets for about 5000 THB on Thai Smiles.

Lots of good info in the threads in this forum and I will read thru those.

I am not looking for any p4p recommendations, but would be interested in any non-p4p hotel recommendations or any interesting tourist spots. Good restaurants would be cool as well. Not looking to go Cheap Charlie on this, but also not looking to break the piggy bank either.

Sounds like something in the Nimman area is what I want. Gotta try some of that Chiang Mai Chicken and also the sausages while we are there. The botanical gardens, the zoo, the night market, the King's Palace, and Tha Pae Gate all sound worth a visit for a first trip.

I would not mind paying up for a better hotel. Let's say a 6000 a night limit. I'll do some searches, but recommendations would be appreciated. 

5555 I lived in Chiang Mai and was paying for a double bedroom house with living room and Patio 6000 THB a month. 

Joking Aside:

Nimman is a student / upmarket area with discos, trendy bars and so much coffee shops that a month would not be enough to try them all.

Is that really what you are looking for for a first trip?

You can buy the sausage hot and ready to eat in some thai markets.

Restaurant: L'éléphant: the interior is amazing, the food is good and the price really cheap compared to the European restaurants of the city center. (At least it was the case 2 years ago)

Hotel: i know only 1000 THB hotels. With your budget you can certainly get something amazing.

7 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

The GF and I are looking into a 4 day or so trip to Chiang Mai next March

I'd move that up a month and go in February instead. You'll get the tail end of the cool season and the chance of smoke from crop-burning is a lot lower.

Doesn't matter where exactly but you MUST try the local dish Khao Soi (or Khao Soi or however).  It is a noodle soup dish and out of this world.

See my trip report.  It’s 5 years old but most of the info is still valid

Retired

4 hours ago, KhunChang said:

Nimman is a student / upmarket area with discos, trendy bars and so much coffee shops that a month would not be enough to try them all.

Is that really what you are looking for for a first trip?

Thanks. That is definitely not what I am looking for.

I live in Jomtien and seldom get over to Pattaya, as there is just too much damn racket for my old ears. I say that just to try and level set my preferences a little. Which part of Chiang Mai would you recommend for someone who would like to experience the cultural feel.

19 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Thanks. That is definitely not what I am looking for.

I live in Jomtien and seldom get over to Pattaya, as there is just too much damn racket for my old ears. I say that just to try and level set my preferences a little. Which part of Chiang Mai would you recommend for someone who would like to experience the cultural feel.

Unlike most of the thai Cities, the city center of Chiang Mai (i mean inside the city walls) is beautiful.

Try to find a superior guesthouse in one of the quiet soi of the city center, something with a big garden.

Then for a couple of mornings, pay a visit to the numerous temples of the city center. A dozen of them are really really stunning and most of the time overlooked by people who wants to rush to Doi Suthep. The vibe,  the details on the wall paintings, on the the satues... I could spent an hour in each of them.

More on the trendy side, the art galleries between the city center and Nimman are worth a look.

For lunch, if you want to sample fresh vegetarian mock food and don't mind small humble thai eateries, go to Ming Kwan vegetarian restaurant (it is on gmaps) near wat phra singh.

For dinner, try at least one time one of the Beergardens with food and live music. Most of them are outside the City Wall in Nimman and other student areas. I don't have names but you should find some via gmaps. Worth noting that the best way for transport outside the City center without hassles is to use Grab.

For a change of scenery a lunch at the Mae Kuang lake on one of the wodden platform. Still 90% thai the last time i was there. You would need your own transport to get there i think. So i'm Not sure it worth it for a 4 days stay but at least you have the info.

And Doi Suthep obviously or people will be in for a shock if you tell them you've been in CM without visiting it 5555555.

Archived