Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Hong Kong - Under Bridge Spicy Crab

ChiFlyer

I felt this place deserved mention, but was a bit undecided as to where it belonged. Seems like the outside of Thailand stuff is mainly p4p, and this is a food review. So I put it in Food. If it is of use to someone great, if not that is ok too.

This place is an institution in the Wan Chai area. It has been plugged by such luminaires as Anthony Bourdain. It can be criticized as touristy, over priced, and not as great as people say, but I like it. As Bourdain once said understanding another culture is not so much about walking in the other guy's shoes as it is eating his food.

http://www.underspicycrab.com/en/contactus.php

There are actually 4 of these places within about 200 M of each other on Lockhart and Jaffe. We went to the original at 425 Lockhart as I knew they would take an MC or Visa.

We started with a roast chicken and pork plate. Not bad, but not a reason to go either. (100 HKD)
IMG_1927.thumb.JPG.990cfaf8d4233cbd169bd1d77f8b92ae.JPG

We ordered a bottle of mid level red to wash things down with. (680 HKD). Not bad for the price and touristy location.

The main deal was the signature Under Bridge Spicy Crab. This is seasonally priced and we got a large one at 980 HKD. This is the reason to go back again and again. It is the item that Bourdain plugged. There are 6 levels of spiciness and we went with number 3 (Moderately spicy). Keep in mind that I have a TGF and she thought we may have gone one level too far. I think we nailed it. The crab is served in a huge bed of roast garlic. Bring some breath mints for sure.
IMG_1929.thumb.JPG.9998ef4c016584a49326ce9d3070972e.JPG

The bill was about 2,000 HKD without tip, but we went high end. I'll be back.

This is an icon place that one should try in Hong Kong. It is not for everybody and many are disappointed, but I enjoy it.
 IMG_1930.thumb.JPG.5a8e86083898f44ecce0c970adae5300.JPG

Looks excellent, I'm a big lover of crab.

Thank's for sharing your experience.

:Party1:

Archived