IGNORED

Biz class BKK-LAX

fatjack1

Thought I'd give a recent report on some of the options I've experienced flying between LAX and BKK in business class with a few carriers.

First my requirements.  It MUST be a lie flat seat and every seat has access to the aisle without crawling over anyone else.  After that it's all negotiable.  With price being a major factor as I try to keep the RT cost near the $3500 mark.  The airlines I have tried include EVA (for years), Cathay (when EVA raised their prices) and yesterday Asiana (when Cathay raised their prices).  For comparison both Cathay and EVA were very similar in seat space, entertainment, food and ground amenities.  EVA was slightly better but some might argue that.  So I will be comparing those two against the newcomer Asiana.

Price - as of now Asiana still costs in the $3500 range.  Neither Cathay nor EVA have shown anything under $4000 recently so this is a big advantage to Asiana.

Schedule - I preferred EVA with Cathay close second.  Both left BKK around noonish and had quick layovers in TPE or Hong Kong.  Both left LAX midnight and arrived BKK before noon which is perfect.  And both had short layovers both ways with again slight edge EVA.  Asiana required a 6 hour layover BKK-LAX but arrived mid morning which was nice.  Bummer is it left 1:30 AM.  Return is worse arriving in BKK near midnight.  Not my favorite schedule.  Advantage EVA/Cathay.

Ground amenities - Not had Asiana in LAX yet but suspect they share with other Star Alliance which is OK.  The Asiana in BKK was lame and the one in Inchon also not great.  Food is OK and shortage of seating.  EVA is excellent in TPE but has been up and down in BKK.

Entertainment - Asiana sucked between BKK and Inchon.  Really short selection of movies.  Improved Inchon LAX.  All are adequate.

Seats - Eva > Cathay > Asiana.  I was OK with all of them but less room Asiana.  I am larger than normal though.

Aircraft - Asiana finally shines bright here.  Flew the 380 first time on both segments.  I do wish EVA and Cathay did.  Or maybe the Dreamliner will compare to the 380.  But the 777s are noticeably louder.  Cabin air quality was nicer and ride was smoother.  It was bit uncomfortable looking out the window landing and thinking we are still to high to touch down when I felt the tires hit the tarmac.  

Food and Drink - don't care.  Sorry.  I am not qualified to judge as I am not a big eater or drinker in the air.  All seem about the same to me.

Overall I really liked the 380 platform but Asiana's schedule may be a deal breaker.  We'll see when I head back next.  Arriving middle of the night isn't my idea of fun and my local buddies won't come to the airport that time of day so it'll be a taxi service.  

Cheers.

Good to know.

Asiana is a member of Star Alliance. Would I get full PQM and PQD credit with my UA Mileage Plus aaccount if I went with a business class ticket? 

TGOEA

I don't know.  Will be interested next ticket as I have a ton of miles thru my CC.

Good to know.
Asiana is a member of Star Alliance. Would I get full PQM and PQD credit with my UA Mileage Plus aaccount if I went with a business class ticket? 
If its issued on United ticket stock, then it earns PQD. If it is issued by Asiana, then no PQD. Either way, it will earn PQM

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Archived