Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

German Goetta

thestigy

Is anyone aware of any restaurants with goetta on the menu in Pattaya?  I believe it's German in origin and typically served as a breakfast meat side dish and is made of pork and pin oats.

1 hour ago, thestigy said:

Is anyone aware of any restaurants with goetta on the menu in Pattaya?  I believe it's German in origin and typically served as a breakfast meat side dish and is made of pork and pin oats.

Good luck with that one.  You're asking about a dish that's pretty much confined to Cincinnati, Ohio, and nearby areas.  It's called German goetta because it originated with German immigrants to the U.S. in the 1800s, but was never eaten in Germany.  I strongly doubt there are many restaurant owners in Pattaya who've heard of it, much less any who serve it.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Thanks guys, I never new that. I had incorrectly assumed it had originated in Germany and immigrated to the States mid-west region. Very interesting. I appreciate the replies.

Yeah there are some weird narrowly regional American foods. Such as Provel "cheese" in St. Louis, Missouri.

To add another regional American food: Taylor Ham. On a Kaiser roll with egg and cheese. 

2 minutes ago, ph6694 said:

To add another regional American food: Taylor Ham. On a Kaiser roll with egg and cheese. 

Oh people in NJ go crazy for that stuff.  It's vile.  In NY, they have a number of foul foods like that upstate - Spiedies around Binghamton (disgusting chicken / cubed meat sandwiches), and the infamous Rochester-area "garbage plate" - literally what it sounds like.  Cheaply made baked beans, macaroni salad, fries, cheeseburger and a "white hot" (veal hot dog), all piled on top of each other on a messy styrofoam plate.  It's actually not bad if you're shitfaced drunk, but man.. LOL.

American "cuisine" is some pretty rough stuff sometimes.  Oh, and be sure to cover that garbage plate with slices of "American cheese" i.e. pasteurized processed cheese food product.

Always happy to help a fellow monger :)  Stay safe & healthy gentlemen!!!  :hello09:

On 30/09/2018 at 15:01, Evil Penevil said:

Good luck with that one.  You're asking about a dish that's pretty much confined to Cincinnati, Ohio, and nearby areas.  It's called German goetta because it originated with German immigrants to the U.S. in the 1800s, but was never eaten in Germany.  I strongly doubt there are many restaurant owners in Pattaya who've heard of it, much less any who serve it.

Evil

On 30/09/2018 at 22:12, thestigy said:

Thanks guys, I never new that. I had incorrectly assumed it had originated in Germany and immigrated to the States mid-west region. Very interesting. I appreciate the replies.

What about  knipp or scrapple?

9 hours ago, Harry Brown said:

What about  knipp or scrapple?

All three share a similar concept- they were made from meat scraps, usually pork, mixed with grains or another filler and originally eaten by poor people.  However, there are some major differences.

Untitled-1.jpg.5010854f907fef00e9be1e01e0835813.jpg

Knipp is a German smoked sausage made from scraps of pork muscle meat as well as organ meat, especially liver,  and oats. It dates back at least to the Middle Ages.  Scrapple and goetta were "invented" by German immigrants to the U.S.  Both are based on mush with the addition of pork scraps, herbs and spices.  The mush is formed into loaves or rolls and slices are then pan-fried. 

In the 1700 and 1800s, scrapple was first made by boiling the head, bones and whatever other parts of the pig that couldn't be otherwise used to make a broth.  Buckwheat and/or cornmeal were added to thicken it into mush.  Goetta used steel-cut oats for the same purpose as a thickener and filler. Herbs such as sage, rosemary and thyme were added for flavor.

Both scrapple and goetta were eaten at breakfast among the poor because they were cheaper than bacon, ham and sausage. In time, they became regional favorites.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Sorry to say but..... you can buy Goetta in western Germany on specific days at butcher shops, freshly made. Meaning the butcher recycles what he can otherwise hardly turn into money. It comes in different variations and local names. As a poor man's diet, the ingredients varied according to what was available.

Knipp is pretty much standard fare as well but pure pork. ask for: "Mett." Often it was made right away when a pig was cut into pieces. Now you can buy it fresh and as sausages (fresh and smoked) almost anywhere. Different spices and more or less fat determine price.

If you fly through Frankfurt airport: They have a supermarket with a good butcher on the lower level (you need to pass immigration). Tons of sausages and also the above. You can pick the one you like according to taste.

From what I read here, it seems that the American side or invention is simply a substitution of some ingredients, very similar to the variations within Germany. I would not be surprised if Belgium and the Netherlands have their own versions as the areas are adjacent and national borders are comparably recent.

Knipp and Scrapple sound interesting.

Any suggestions on a German restaurant in Pattaya which might have them on the menu?

If I turn up and neither are on offer, no loss, I'll try something else  :)

Archived