IGNORED

New head of Immigration

bertik

It seems as though we will soon have a new Immigration chief. I wonder if any new rules and regs. will be implimented.

Of course there will. He will want to show that he's in charge and is making a difference.

It seems as though we will soon have a new Immigration chief. I wonder if any new rules and regs. will be implimented.
Hopefully he will realise people that come spend money and are a good thing, even long term farangs

19 minutes ago, Fumbduck said:

Of course there will. He will want to show that he's in charge and is making a difference.

I guess I should have said " I wonder what new regs  will be implemented."

• 2 weeks later...

Now that UK proof of income letters will no longer be issued, it seems as tho immigration is tightening up , possibly as a result of the new Immigration  chief's policies. I wonder if this thread will appear any more relevant  now.

No income letters ,no visa agents,going to get hard for long-term expats without ready cash in their thai bank account.

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->

If all that I have heard about immigration today is true there will be many very upset expats.  If you had relied on the agent getting the visa extension for you for a price and they stopped that what can you do?   Visa finishes within the next three months then you would not have time to put money in the bank even if you have the money.   For UK the income letter stops in December but there is talk of all other embassy doing the same in the near future.   Many agents will take a big cut in income as will many in immigration if this is all true and they continue with it.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

On 08/10/2018 at 11:31, Scuba+ said:

As discussed here, British Embassy have announced they will no longer issue Proof of Income letters after December.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

If all that I have heard about immigration today is true there will be many very upset expats.  If you had relied on the agent getting the visa extension for you for a price and they stopped that what can you do?   Visa finishes within the next three months then you would not have time to put money in the bank even if you have the money.   For UK the income letter stops in December but there is talk of all other embassy doing the same in the near future.   Many agents will take a big cut in income as will many in immigration if this is all true and they continue with it.
Some of the older expats may decide to not bother with a visa

On 8/10/2018 at 12:31, Scuba+ said:

And why? Why do they stop doing that and get Brits in trouble? Have I missed something?

17 minutes ago, andy666 said:

And why? Why do they stop doing that and get Brits in trouble? Have I missed something?

The Embassy are claiming that Thai Immigration has told them they must verify income before giving letters and they are unable/unwilling to do that.

Why it should only be the British Embassy reacting in this way is unclear - though other Embassies (I think) simply witness a Statutory Declaration made by the citizen rather than give a letter confirming income. This requires face-to-face contact with each person which the Embassy is largely doing away with due to the downsizing, relocation, cuts brought about by our quite appalling government.

Some of the older expats may decide to not bother with a visa

... and get deported with a PNG stamp.

Look, folks, the embassy no longer rubber-stamps your proof-of-income, so you will need to secure it directly from England - direct from the bank, and notarized, will most likely still be accepted.

The Embassy / Consulate route was just more convenient, but they never actually verified anything, they just rubber-stamped their confirmation.

This mostly appears to be unsubstantiated whining about how the non-colonial savages are causing you guys a greater amount of discomfort, possibly requiring slightly better planning in the future.

This threads reminds me about the threads about dry holidays, and how 1 or 2 days without alcohol amount to the end of days, for some people.

38 minutes ago, DaffyDuck said:

Look, folks, the embassy no longer rubber-stamps your proof-of-income, so you will need to secure it directly from England - direct from the bank, and notarized, will most likely still be accepted.

The Embassy / Consulate route was just more convenient, but they never actually verified anything, they just rubber-stamped their confirmation.

38 minutes ago, DaffyDuck said:

There is absolutely no evidence that Thai Immigration would accept anything like that. They have always accepted the Embassy Letter and there’s no reason for them to suddenly accept something new just because one Embassy won’t issue letters.

It’s likely to be 6 months at least before it’s clear what the situation will be as Letters are valid for 6 months so Brits who need them early next year will be getting them before the deadline.

57 minutes ago, DaffyDuck said:

This mostly appears to be unsubstantiated whining about how the non-colonial savages are causing you guys a greater amount of discomfort, possibly requiring slightly better planning in the future.

This threads reminds me about the threads about dry holidays, and how 1 or 2 days without alcohol amount to the end of days, for some people.

The point is some people don't have either the constant income or a £20000 lump sum that can be left in a thai bank account.

They could no doubt pay an agent and live off whatever else they had or could generate.

It's a pity for these people because, if the rumours are true, they will have to either return to blighty, stay as illegal's or head for another country.

This is going to be a big problem for those that do not have a home to return to.

You commented on one of my posts regarding the dodgy or illegal agents. They might be the same dodgy and illegal agents that kept some ex pats you know in the country. Talking about dodgy and illegal in relation to Thailand or Pattaya is laughable to me.

Pattaya has always existed on the fringes of legality and is still largely frowned upon by the society that you and i no doubt come from.    

Like i say some older expats may have nothing to lose as not planning to leave the country so just don't bother with a visa and save all this hassle. The only time my visa is checked is when i enter or exit the country and immigration

Yeah, something I’ve been thinking about. If it’s about tying up 800,000 baht in an account there’s other options, like buying/renting property with that 800,000 baht in Vietnam and hopping between the two countries. Much more fun option. If you hop every 3 months you can get income from each property.

Saw a nice little condo in Phnom Penh today for $150 a month rent. A lot easier to rent that out and hop on a plane than saving up nearly a million baht. The idea that you need a million baht a year to live with in Thailand is crazy. If you own property you can live well in a quarter of that.

Overnight Vietnam and Cambodia just got a lot more attractive as budget places to retire. Thailand is only for the richer guys now.

But with all these crackdowns, give it a week or a month, see what happens.

But this isn’t “bad people out, good people in”, this is “rich pensioners in, poor ones out”. Lot of people living just fine on much less than the required 65,000 a month. I think most everyone retired here I think.

As for the UK embassy, they’ve been shit for years. If I needed any help I’d be using my other citizenship. Always have a spare country. [emoji4]

This isn’t a question of “go back to the UK or stay illegally”, that sir, if you don’t mind me saying, is total bollocks. If you’re not cashed up, time to sell up and look at the other options. Da Nang in Vietnam is awesome. Siem Rep in Cambodia is good, Cebu in the Philippines is an option. You and your 35,000 baht a month or whatever you’re living on will be welcomed with open arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pattaya, you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

Articles now published on the termination of UK consular income verification:

https://thethaiger.com/thai-life/british-embassy-bangkok-to-stop-certification-of-income-letters

https://www.thephuketnews.com/british-embassy-bangkok-to-stop-certification-of-income-letters-68911.php#aXZ9kitkdxI6EJtt.97

Wonder if other embassies, similarly bothered by it all, will follow suit.

Three possibilities, maybe more:

• This is merely another gateway contrived by the government, through which only government officials have the key .. there will be opportunities for graft to circumvent the gateway; or,
  • As with other examples of policy over-reach, for which the Thai government is famously known, they will back off if it creates too much noise .. though, I rather doubt they are too concerned about the expats who live on the economic edge .. tourists are another thing; or,
  • The new immigration sheriff holds the line, and the marginal expats living here are cleared out.

The solution might not lie with Thai Immigration, for whom expat financial means testing is not unreasonable at all, but with the UK Embassy .. UK expats might do better to pressure their own embassy to provide this service, bothersome or not.

What else is the consular staff doing for the retired expat community? .. the US Embassy provides me only a reasonably quick passport renewal (which could be provided by mail, although slower) .. otherwise, they are of no worth to me.

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

58 minutes ago, brutox said:

Articles now published on the termination of UK consular income verification: //

They are just copying what the B.E. wrote, but not one site to question the fact that Thai Immigration does not accept (at least now) a bank proof of 65k monthly incomes as a valid proof for a retirement extension...

58 minutes ago, brutox said:
  • As with other examples of policy over-reach, for which the Thai government is famously known, they will back off if it creates too much noise .. though, I rather doubt they are too concerned about the expats who live on the economic edge .. tourists are another thing;

Why Thai Government? As for now it's a B.E. only decision.

Immigration still accept and will accept proof of income from embassies. :)

16 hours ago, andy666 said:

Yes I'm afraid maybe you have. Time will tell.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1061503-british-embassy-statement-on-income-letters-officials-knew-about-problems-in-may-and-say-that-us-nationals-will-also-be-affected/

US nationals also affected, it’s spreading. The US embassy is no longer going to give you the income letter.

Business as usual at Dutch and Kiwi embassies. They’ll give you the letter.

10 minutes ago, FatKiwi said:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1061503-british-embassy-statement-on-income-letters-officials-knew-about-problems-in-may-and-say-that-us-nationals-will-also-be-affected/

US nationals also affected, it’s spreading. The US embassy is no longer going to give you the income letter.

Business as usual at Dutch and Kiwi embassies. They’ll give you the letter.

The British Embassy say the Americans are stopping but the US Embassy hasn’t said anything yet so it’s not confirmed.

If it does become more widespread then that’s probably good news as it makes it more likely a ‘work around’ is found. Eg showing Thai bank book with funds going in every month. It will mean everyone having to send that amount into Thailand though, which many don’t now.

Yeah, I don’t get this embassy letter thing, surely bank statements for a year showing 65000 going in every month would be enough to trust you for 12 months.

the german / austrian consul always verified the income before issuing the income letter. Also does the french one.

Archived