Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Is a return ticket required from Canada to Thailand

wildhorse

I am going on an extended 5 month trip from Canada to Thailand. Am I allowed to book a one way to Thailand and book another fight from Thailand to Cambodia within the 30 days of landing. Then once in Thailand cancel the Cambodia flight. I’m assuming I may have to show a ticket in and of Thailand when I get the 60 day visa in Canada. I’m just seeing if I can save a little by not having to lose out if I were to try and refund a return flight to Canada. Or am I overthinking this.

What you doing is fine.  In fact though, the past 2 years have actually just had one way tkt into Thailand as never was sure when schedule would set up best for visa trip and seemed to be no problem - once into Swampy and once dmk.   Maybe I have just been lucky though and had couple of small overstay fines last yr so maybe luck will be up this yr.  Used to be service with the  a very nominally priced tkt that got cxlled just after time you needed it for(24-48hrs) and did use this service, but seemed to be glitch with it last yr when went to get it - think it was onwardticket.com.  Guess if any other service like this would likely use it.  

I'm about to find out, just booked a one-way ticket for the first time, leave next week :)

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

I think a few years back Thailand started to get guest with no money living of the streets and begging, so Thai immigration questioned backpackers or those of dubious character:  have you money for your stay, have you a returning ticket, have you a hotel booked. 

Me no daft, me no silly, me wear condom on my Willy.

When I've checked single flights are not much cheaper than returns, so personally i would book the return for 5/6 months whatever suits, you can then change if necessary assuming the ticket you buy allows it.

You mention getting the Canada refund, that would be after you've got the visa so you can use the return for that.

I'm pretty sure with a visa exempt you need an outward flight, if you have a visa you don't.

19 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:

When I've checked single flights are not much cheaper than returns, so personally i would book the return for 5/6 months whatever suits, you can then change if necessary assuming the ticket you buy allows it.

You mention getting the Canada refund, that would be after you've got the visa so you can use the return for that.

I'm pretty sure with a visa exempt you need an outward flight, if you have a visa you don't.

I guess I’m unfamiliar with the term visa exempt. What is that?

15 minutes ago, wildhorse said:

I guess I’m unfamiliar with the term visa exempt. What is that?

Citizens of 55 countries, including UK, Canada, Australia, USA, can enter Thailand for up to 30 days without a visa. The stamp we get at the airport is not a visa, it is a visa exempt entry.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

As for the flight, I don’t show a ticket when getting a SETV here in the UK but it could be different in Canada. There’s also the possibility of the airline asking to see the ticket at check-in, so best to have one. In theory, Thai immigration can ask to see one as well but it very rarely happens. No problem cancelling the ticket once you get to Thailand.

6 hours ago, davidge said:

As for the flight, I don’t show a ticket when getting a SETV here in the UK but it could be different in Canada. There’s also the possibility of the airline asking to see the ticket at check-in, so best to have one. In theory, Thai immigration can ask to see one as well but it very rarely happens. No problem cancelling the ticket once you get to Thailand.

http://www.thaiconsulateedmonton.ca/about.html

This asks for itinerary. I think I’ll play it safe and just buy a return ticket and cancel once I get to Thailand. I probably will have to eat most, if not all of that cost though.

Instead of return, can't you purchase a cheap onward ticket to somewhere in SEA?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, adamjscott said:

Instead of return, can't you purchase a cheap onward ticket to somewhere in SEA?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

That was my initial question. However in looking at most prices, there doesn’t seem to be much difference in one way and round trip anyway.

28 minutes ago, wildhorse said:

That was my initial question. However in looking at most prices, there doesn’t seem to be much difference in one way and round trip anyway.

How are you going to get home at the end of the 5 months? Presumably, you’ll need a flight.

Surely it’s best to book a return that includes this?

18 hours ago, wildhorse said:

I am going on an extended 5 month trip from Canada to Thailand. Am I allowed to book a one way to Thailand and book another fight from Thailand to Cambodia within the 30 days of landing. Then once in Thailand cancel the Cambodia flight. I’m assuming I may have to show a ticket in and of Thailand when I get the 60 day visa in Canada. I’m just seeing if I can save a little by not having to lose out if I were to try and refund a return flight to Canada. Or am I overthinking this.

How I have done my long trips, is without a visa, is by staying 30 days max at a time in each country visa exempt.

This past winter, my 5 month trip was 3 months Thailand and 2 months Indonesia (Bali and surrounding islands).  Flights between Thailand and neighbouring countries are cheap and after 30 days, I'm ready for a change of scenery anyways.

It is a requirement to be in possession of a ticket that proves you will depart Thailand within 30 days.  It has only been the airlines that have asked for proof of onward travel, as it is the airline you arrived on, that will be responsible  to get you out of Thailand on the next available flight if Thai immigration deny your entry because you don't have a ticket.

I have never been asked by Thai immigration for proof of onward travel.

I'm in Thailand now on a short trip.  I travelled on Air Canada on the first leg and not asked about my itinerary.  I transited through Taipei and EVA required me to show proof of my flight itinerary departing Thailand.  I'm sure I would have been denied boarding my EVA TPE-BKK flight without proof of onward travel.

4 hours ago, davidge said:

How are you going to get home at the end of the 5 months? Presumably, you’ll need a flight.

Surely it’s best to book a return that includes this?

1 hour ago, Whalley said:

How I have done my long trips, is without a visa, is by staying 30 days max at a time in each country visa exempt.

This past winter, my 5 month trip was 3 months Thailand and 2 months Indonesia (Bali and surrounding islands).  Flights between Thailand and neighbouring countries are cheap and after 30 days, I'm ready for a change of scenery anyways.

It is a requirement to be in possession of a ticket that proves you will depart Thailand within 30 days.  It has only been the airlines that have asked for proof of onward travel, as it is the airline you arrived on, that will be responsible  to get you out of Thailand on the next available flight if Thai immigration deny your entry because you don't have a ticket.

I have never been asked by Thai immigration for proof of onward travel.

I'm in Thailand now on a short trip.  I travelled on Air Canada on the first leg and not asked about my itinerary.  I transited through Taipei and EVA required me to show proof of my flight itinerary departing Thailand.  I'm sure I would have been denied boarding my EVA TPE-BKK flight without proof of onward travel.

So the Thai Embassy in Canada gave me a callback and told me I can enter Thailand on a one way ticket. Based on that, I did purchase a one way. But I will now purchase a cheap ticket from BKK to Cambodia. Then cancel it. That should take care of any issue I might encounter.

I have had a bus ticket (11 dollars) that showed me exiting Thailand, and entering Malaysia from 12go.asia and the consulate in Vancouver said this was acceptable. 

And a "cheap ticket" won't be cancelable without fees (fees are often more than the ticket). Also, the airline possibly will ask you for proof of onward travel, as if you are rejected entry, they are on the hook for flying you back.

If it floats, flies or fucks, RENT IT!!!!! "He who hesitates, masturbates"

I have been asked for my visa by the airline in Canada, but never proof of onward travel. The visa , as I spend several months. And also had to show a Vietnam visa before boarding a Vietnam flight. 

Never ever been questioned at Thai immigration, but I'm not a backpacker.

i always have the proper visas, money , travel insurance etc. Never had a problem.

When i came here to retire, 15 month ago i had a one way ticket, i had a 60 day  visa which i changed to a retirement visa while i was here, at no time was i asked about my return.  just stamped at immigration, 

If you are arriving visa exempt the airline may want to see proof of onward travel prior to the exemption period ending.   They are responsible for repatriating you if you are denied entry by Thai immigration for not having onward travel arrangements.  

In answer to the OP, I flew in last night on a one way ticket and no hassles whatsoever.

Airline didn't care (thai) and immigration never asked :)

So it sounds as though it’s only the airline that might care if I have an outgoing flight from BKK in case Thai immigration denies me entry. Could I purchase a cheap 1100 baht ticket to Siem Reap? Even if departure is from DMK? 

2 hours ago, aussieoutcast said:

In answer to the OP, I flew in last night on a one way ticket and no hassles whatsoever.

Airline didn't care (thai) and immigration never asked :)

I have been travelling two or three times a year for the last 18 years and have never been asked to show a return ticket by the airline or by Immigration in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, wildhorse said:

Could I purchase a cheap 1100 baht ticket to Siem Reap? Even if departure is from DMK? 

Yes. Good side trip for maybe 4 or 5 days. Less than one hour flying time. AirAsia are cheap with regular flights from DMK. Visit Angkor Wat, stroll the town.

Why not just say you're taking the bus to Laos if asked, only 500 baht or there about

Why not just say you're taking the bus to Laos if asked, only 500 baht or there about

I read over at thaivisa that a bus ticket or saying you are leaving by bus doesn't cut it

I guess what I was asking is if the airline (ANA) is concerned about me being turned away by Thai immigration and my plane lands at BKK airport, should I have in my possession a flight leaving Thailand from BKK airport or does it matter if it’s from DMK airport? All the cheaper flights seem to leave from DMK.

I guess maybe worst case I can go without an outgoing ticket, and for some reason if I get denied on the plane for not having an outgoing flight, I should be able able to go online and purchase at that time. I hope.

But the consensus on here seems to be that there won’t be a problem arriving without one, so I will give that a shot.

Thanks for replies.

1 hour ago, wildhorse said:

I guess what I was asking is if the airline (ANA) is concerned about me being turned away by Thai immigration and my plane lands at BKK airport, should I have in my possession a flight leaving Thailand from BKK airport or does it matter if it’s from DMK airport? All the cheaper flights seem to leave from DMK.

I guess maybe worst case I can go without an outgoing ticket, and for some reason if I get denied on the plane for not having an outgoing flight, I should be able able to go online and purchase at that time. I hope.

But the consensus on here seems to be that there won’t be a problem arriving without one, so I will give that a shot.

Thanks for replies.

Wildhorse, you really are making this very complicated.  Buy a single in, or a return with 5 6 7 8 months whatever. Enter on a visa exemt.

Download Air Asia app, thai bus app, thai train app and book cheapest way of crossing  Thai border to Myanmar, Laos, Kampuchia or Malaysia on day 29 or 30.

It doesn't matter method of departure or place of departure,  purchase and download ticket onto what app you purchased from.

On departure from home country, if asked, show departure from Thailand  within 30 days from entry on visa exempt.

On entry into Thailand complete immigration form with exit date 29 or 30 days in the future.

This is not complicated,  don't make it so

Archived