Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

5 Month Stay

wildhorse

I’m a Canadian who has the opportunity to stay in/around Thailand for 5 months starting in November. I was thinking that I would get a 60 visa from the Thai Embassy in Canada, however it seems that I would have to hand over my passport to the embassy in order to obtain the 60 day visa. I cannot do that as I require my passport for an upcoming Europe trip.

So I’m thinking my options will be to use the 30 day visa you get on arrival and then extend at Jomtein for another 30 days. Before the 60 day limit, I’m assuming that I would have to do a visa run either by bus or air. I’ve read in few places that when entering Thailand by bus, you only get a 15 day visa. Is this correct, and if so, can I extend at Jomtein for another 30 days? For a total of another 45 days. Can I continue this practice for my 5 month trip duration? Or is there a better way of doing this? 

Also I’m assuming that I will have to have a round trip ticket to enter Thailand for my initial entry, so would I cancel my return flight once I arrive in Thailand? Also to get the full 30 day entry visa, does it matter if my return ticket is for 2 weeks after my arrival? I see some really good flight deals upcoming from Canada, however the duration may be for 14 days or less.

I’ve read that some of the rules have been changing so any advice would be appreciated. 

Sorry, do you mean a 60 DAY Visa? That is, a Single Entry Tourist Visa. I get mine in 10 minutes at the local Consulate so I would check to make sure they do keep your passport - sounds odd.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

59 minutes ago, davidge said:

Sorry, do you mean a 60 DAY Visa? That is, a Single Entry Tourist Visa. I get mine in 10 minutes at the local Consulate so I would check to make sure they do keep your passport - sounds odd.

He is a Canadian "eh":o

Yep 10 minutes in Cardiff :)

http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-thailand/visas/types-visas-periods-stay-fees/tourist-visa

1 hour ago, davidge said:

yeah this isn’t clear, but it sounds like you include a self addressed envelope so they can send everything back to you. But if this isn’t the case, do you need to bring your airline ticket with you, and what for duration should it be for?

1 minute ago, wildhorse said:

http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-thailand/visas/types-visas-periods-stay-fees/tourist-visa

yeah this isn’t clear, but it sounds like you include a self addressed envelope so they can send everything back to you. But if this isn’t the case, do you need to bring your airline ticket with you, and what for duration should it be for?

You post your passport to your embassy in canada, they process it and send back to you.

or you turn up at their door and they do it there and then.

whats the confusion?

10 minutes ago, wildhorse said:

Each Consulate/Embassy seems to operate in their own way. I’d phone to check.

In my case, they ask for nothing except form, passport and cash. As it’s a 60-day Visa, if they ask, probably need a flight showing return within 60 days - even if you change it later.

2 hours ago, wildhorse said:

I’ve read in few places that when entering Thailand by bus, you only get a 15 day visa. Is this correct

No, went back to 30 days for land crossing a couple of years ago at least.

To expand a little, assuming you get a SETV it will give you 60 days, extendable for another 30. 

Then leave Thailand for a day or two and enter on a 30 day visa exempt, or go somewhere with a Consulate and get another visa there. Air or land doesn’t matter. They occasionally ask questions of people doing out/in frequently but plenty of people have no issues.

Personally (I’m cautious and wouldn’t want possible problems entering Thailand in the future :-) I’d get a SETV and then fly out somewhere and come back in after a few days. 

Archived