IGNORED

Thai baggage labour law

makavelli

So yesterday morning myself and my wife flew back to the UK using Air France business class. I am just wondering if anyone has ever heard of a thai baggage labour law?

The reason I am asking is as we checked in using the business class counter I was asked to put both cases on the scales (as u normally do to send the cases down to line). Then the Air France representative said bags are too heavy as they are over 30kg. I explained that Air France business class allowance is 40kg each! His reply was yes I understand but Thai Baggage labour law says bags can only be 30kg or just slightly over???? Has anyone ever heard of this?

My wife explained to him that we have flown emirates business for numerous of years and our bags have been nearly 40kg and never once has anyone ever questioned or mentioned this "Thai labour law".

But the Air France representative was refusing to budge and made us open both cases in the middle of the airport to balance the weight out (Even though both cases were still over the so-called Thai baggage labour law of 30kg!

Thanks

A number of airports/airlines have a rule about no single case being over 30kg. I’m surprised you’ve got away with it until now. It’s so baggage handlers don’t hurt themselves lifting unreasonably heavy things.  I know this applies at Heathrow so you must have been very lucky in the past.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Firstly shame on you for knowingly flying with those prissy bastards at Air France :P

But yes it's supposed to be a global ruling (though TBH I always understood it to be 32KG)

4 minutes ago, regyai said:

(though TBH I always understood it to be 32KG)

That's  what I thought too; I know for Thai Airways it's definitely 32 Kg per piece.

14 minutes ago, regyai said:

Firstly shame on you for knowingly flying with those prissy bastards at Air France :P

But yes it's supposed to be a global ruling (though TBH I always understood it to be 32KG)

9 minutes ago, Ru4Real said:

That's  what I thought too; I know for Thai Airways it's definitely 32 Kg per piece.

Yes, sorry missed that. It’s 32kg (70 pounds). It’s been in place at Heathrow for about 14 years. In addition, they generally put a ‘Heavy’ label on anything over 23kg.

Yup 32kg is the industry standard maximum weight.

If you have a luggage allowance of 40kg I'm pretty sure that they are expecting you to have two bags. 

45 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

Yup 32kg is the industry standard maximum weight.

If you have a luggage allowance of 40kg I'm pretty sure that they are expecting you to have two bags. 

Yep, had the same in Indonesia (Bali) and had to get the wright down below 32KG

Why would you want 40kg in a bag, break yiur back just getting in the car. Beleive me, heavy bags don’t get treated nicely by pissed off baggage handlers.

Just pack your 40 kgs of things into two bags in future, instead of one, it will make life easier for you too !

6 hours ago, semi-retired member said:

Just pack your 40 kgs of things into two bags in future, instead of one, it will make life easier for you too !

Depends if the airline is using a weight concept or a piece concept (Weight concept = as many 'items' as you want up to the given max weight, Piece concept = you can only have up to the number of bags specified)

26 minutes ago, regyai said:

Depends if the airline is using a weight concept or a piece concept (Weight concept = as many 'items' as you want up to the given max weight, Piece concept = you can only have up to the number of bags specified)

I've never come across an airline that used what you refer to as the "weight concept". All that I'm familiar with follow the "piece concept" model which you provided an example of in your previous post.

48 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I've never come across an airline that used what you refer to as the "weight concept". All that I'm familiar with follow the "piece concept" model which you provided an example of in your previous post.

I’ve never known the “piece concept”. Every airline I’ve flown with has used the “weight concept”.

The former is pretty much unique to the U.S. I think.

On 8/27/2018 at 18:45, davidge said:

Yes, sorry missed that. It’s 32kg (70 pounds). It’s been in place at Heathrow for about 14 years. In addition, they generally put a ‘Heavy’ label on anything over 23kg.

i flew malasian airlines at easter time and limit was 40kg , i had 37.6kg , they didn't even blink ! all cock pills i might add . and only the one bag 555555

Business class is almost always 2 pieces, spread the load, makes it a lot easier in the end. And actually as there was 2 of you you could have taken 4 pieces of hold baggage.

Be like a dog,

" if you cant eat it, play with it, or fuck it. Piss on it and walk away."

1 hour ago, davidge said:

I’ve never known the “piece concept”. Every airline I’ve flown with has used the “weight concept”.

The former is pretty much unique to the U.S. I think.

regyai's post (#6) that included Air France's checked baggage allowance follows the "piece concept" model, as doe Thai Airways, Air Asia, and every other airline that I'm familiar with. So definitely not unique to the US, and I would hazard a guess is an industry standard.

What airline that you know of allows unlimited checked bags as long as the total weight is below their max. limit ("weight concept")? 

Perhaps there is a  French labor law limiting to 32KG.  The bags would have to be handled at CDG as well.

I'm allow 3 checked bags up to 70 lbs. each on Delta from the  US (Houston) to Bangkok.

The only thing I have run into, if the bag is over 50 lbs. they put the heavy tag on the bag.

I have found that the heavy tag cancels out the priority tag.

I weigh the bag at home before going to the airport and try to keep it about 48 lbs.

One thing I have notice is the return trip leaving Bangkok, they don't seem to pay any attention to the weight of the bags.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

7 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

regyai's post (#6) that included Air France's checked baggage allowance follows the "piece concept" model, as doe Thai Airways, Air Asia, and every other airline that I'm familiar with. So definitely not unique to the US, and I would hazard a guess is an industry standard.

What airline that you know of allows unlimited checked bags as long as the total weight is below their max. limit ("weight concept")? 

Everyone I’ve ever flown with.

40 minutes ago, davidge said:

Everyone I’ve ever flown with.

Its a good thing he  (forcebwithu) didn't use the word free.

Same for me, everyone I have ever flown, but with a cost.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

17 minutes ago, LeoTex said:

Its a good thing he  (forcebwithu) didn't use the word free.

Same for me, everyone I have ever flown, but with a cost.

LeoTex

Nope. Free.

Last trip I flew with Thai in Biz. My allowance was 50kg. I checked in 3 bags but could have checked in as many as I wanted as long as the total weight was under 50kg. 

It’s been the same every time I’ve flown - with one exception when I flew to the US and back - but that won’t happen again :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, davidge said:

Nope. Free.

Last trip I flew with Thai in Biz. My allowance was 50kg. I checked in 3 bags but could have checked in as many as I wanted as long as the total weight was under 50kg. 

It’s been the same every time I’ve flown - with one exception when I flew to the US and back - but that won’t happen again :rolleyes:

Have to confess I thought you were wrong as most airlines I’ve travelled with have a max weight & number of pieces but a quick check (as you’d expect, there’s a website dedicated to the question) shows Thai Air doesn’t set a limit on the number of pieces

http://www.baggage-allowance.info/thai-airways-baggage-allowance

50F4965A-3DB4-4AEB-A0C8-0BAB4DAEBA7F.png

Apart from to thr US/Canada where it’s limited to 2 pieces 

E549FE37-EB05-4850-BAF3-1945E7AFA345.png

14 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

IME the piece-system applies on many airlines, when flying to/from the USA & Canada, it seems to be a North-American thing.

However when I fly between Thailand & the UK on Qatar, where I get 30kgs plus 10kgs for Silver-ff status, they are certainly always happy to load three bags up-to a combined-total of 40kgs.

There are however some cheaper-fares, Etihad or British Airways for example, where a single-bag of up-to 23kgs is the rule.  The ticket almost-always shows the standard (excluding ff-extra) piece/total-weight limit.

I'd never consider putting 40kgs in a single bag, who wants it to arrive with the handles ripped-off because they weren't strong enough, even if it was accepted at check-in ?

Archived