IGNORED

Cathay vs Eva premium economy

javasumatra

I've flown Cathay in economy, biz and first and I've never flown Eva. I've got One World Emerald so I get points, extra baggage, fast track and lounges with Cathay. I'm looking to book prem economy for an upcoming trip.

ORD-BKK 

Cathay $1700

Eva $1450

Any reason not to book Eva? I suppose in theory I should have more chance of an op-up with Cathay (slim rather than none) but anything else?

Thanks,

I mostly fly with Eva and find them a very good airline, only once have I flown premium economy with them, although it was good I didn’t find it was worth the big difference in cost from economy prices. 

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

I have flown Eva every trip for the last 8 trips and never had a problem with them as a matter of fact I would highly recommend them over any other airline.

A SMART MONKEY IS A MONKEY THAT DOESN'T MONKEY WITH ANOTHER MONKEY'S MONKEY.

I’ve always been very impressed with EVA.
That said, if you are Oneworld Emerald, you presumably log quite a few miles on AA. I would suggest that you check with AA to see what kind of mileage credit you would get for taking Cathay - could be in the 20,000 range for RT. It might even move your status up to the next level.
The decision then becomes are the miles and perks they may carry worth the extra $$$?
Personal example: I have to fly from LAX to Kiev next month. I could have flown Lufthansa and had a very good itinerary. Instead, I am flying AA/BA, and putting up with overnight layovers in London on the way in AND on the way back, because the mileage credit should net me Platinum status again for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I’ve always been very impressed with EVA.
That said, if you are Oneworld Emerald, you presumably log quite a few miles on AA. I would suggest that you check with AA to see what kind of mileage credit you would get for taking Cathay - could be in the 20,000 range for RT. It might even move your status up to the next level.
The decision then becomes are the miles and perks they may carry worth the extra $$$?
Personal example: I have to fly from LAX to Kiev next month. I could have flown Lufthansa and had a very good itinerary. Instead, I am flying AA/BA, and putting up with overnight layovers in London on the way in AND on the way back, because the mileage credit should net me Platinum status again for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your comments pretty much sum up my quandary.

I'm currently BA Gold - OWE. I got the status mainly through flying biz ex-Eu on Qatar to BKK. I am gold until September 2019 and even if I don't set foot on an aeroplane until then, I'll still get a soft landing to BA silver - OWS until Sept 2020. I kept my BA FF program as it gets me free Admirals Club access on AA domestics.

I've already paid for Cathay economy $840 and there is a $200 cancellation penalty but no fee to upgrade.

================================================

Cathay want $1000 extra for the following ($1840 total) -

1. Economy on AA CLT - ORD

2. Premium ORD - HKG

3. Economy HKG-BKK

Eva is $1450 for the following -

1. Premium ORD - TPE - BKK

Cathay Positives -

1. Includes flights CLT-ORD-CLT on same itinerary.

2. OWE benefits - Lounge access/First class checkin and boarding

3. I guess there is a stronger chance of an op-up to Biz on CX than BR.

4. No fee to upgrade

5. Avios - about 17000 which is enough for a economy return CLT-JFK for example.

Eva Positives -

1. Slightly cheaper

2. Never flown them before so would like to try.

3. Much better times - Takes off at 0020 from Chicago and lands in BKK at about 10am. (CX lands at around midnight) but coming back I cant make a connection into Charlotte as its too late.

If I price the totals -

1. Cathay is pretty much $1840 all but the avios are worth about $250. Which makes them $1590

2. BR is $1450 + $250 for the AA domestic + $100 for hotel in Chicago + $200 lost from Cathay.

There's not a lot in it. It really boils down to lounge access/perks on CX vs great flight timing on Eva.

If you are looking for status on American than you need to be booking the Cathay Pacific portion as a AA marketed flight rather than a CP marketed flight.  You can tell my the flight numbers which is which.  

But getting status on AA is much more than just flying butt miles now.  The miles aren't the issue it is the EQD Elite qualifying dollars that are the issue now.

I've flown both out of ORD, I prefer leaving around midnight and arriving about noon in LOS with EVA, Cathay is nice, just don't like the early morning departure from LOS

15 minutes ago, bryfromchicago said:

I've flown both out of ORD, I prefer leaving around midnight and arriving about noon in LOS with EVA, Cathay is nice, just don't like the early morning departure from LOS

Cathay wanted to charge me $200 to change my ticket so I shitbinned them and booked Eva. The timing was a big factor, I can finish work on Friday and jump on a flight at Charlotte to Chicago and catch the 0020 flight.

I've One World Emerald but no Star Alliance status. Is anyone aware of lounge options (paid for if need be) in Taipei?

I booked my flight on EVA economy out of ORD because of the price and service.  I could have saved a few dollars by booking China Eastern but I never hear anything good about them.

Plus the departure time at 00.20 at ORD works great for me.  Work all day go home and SSS finish light packing and make my way to airport.  Hopefully get some sleep on the plane.

Landing at lunch time in Bangkok is great too.  Booked my fast track and ride to Pattaya.

2 minutes ago, User Name Eric said:

I booked my flight on EVA economy out of ORD because of the price and service.  I could have saved a few dollars by booking China Eastern but I never hear anything good about them.

Plus the departure time at 00.20 at ORD works great for me.  Work all day go home and SSS finish light packing and make my way to airport.  Hopefully get some sleep on the plane.

Landing at lunch time in Bangkok is great too.  Booked my fast track and ride to Pattaya.

Is the fast track back on?? I thought it was all finished if flying economy. 

I booked Fast Track and car service via:

www.limousine.in.th

They give you a discount when booking both and they were running a Promo price on the ride to Pattaya.  If I was landing in BBK at an off time I would have taken my chances with the immigration and customs lines.  Landing around 12:00 appears to be a busy time for planes landing so after being on the plane for 24 hours the last thing I want to do is wait in line when I land.

Booking no problem got an email confirmation right away.  Let you guys know how it works out when I use the service in November.

3 hours ago, javasumatra said:

Cathay wanted to charge me $200 to change my ticket so I shitbinned them and booked Eva. The timing was a big factor, I can finish work on Friday and jump on a flight at Charlotte to Chicago and catch the 0020 flight.

I've One World Emerald but no Star Alliance status. Is anyone aware of lounge options (paid for if need be) in Taipei?

just wondering

Why didn't you choose flight from Charlotte to Houston for Eva? For price or different reasons? Flight of Eva Houston to Bangkok take off time is almost same like Chicago 01:00am

I have been flying between LAX and BKK for 19 years.  Before this year I always took EVA Royal Laurel class which compared to most airlines Business classes with lie flat seats and 1-2-1 layouts.  But at a much reduced price of around $3400.

This year they raised the price and I tried Cathay.  In their business class (not first class which they also have).  Same 1-2-1 lie flats and all that.  

IMO I would prefer the EVA airline.  Little things mostly.  The entertainment system, food, seat, business class lounge, etc.  Just a hair better IMO.  Either is fine though and in the end price will win.

Of course now Cathay has raise their prices so I will be flying Asiana come end of September.  Probably me and I'm the kiss of death on good fares.

6 hours ago, pattusa said:

just wondering

Why didn't you choose flight from Charlotte to Houston for Eva? For price or different reasons? Flight of Eva Houston to Bangkok take off time is almost same like Chicago 01:00am

Iah was + $500

I have been flying CP for years now from ORD. Best connections via HKG.  Premier economy is OK and similar to the old business class seats.  Service is good but not nothing special.  I like to buy premier and then upgrade to biz.  Normally I can upgrade but you do have to buy the higher fare premier ticket.  Much better than economy but still not like lie flat business. From ORD is about $2200 now. If upgradable add around another $600.

Archived