IGNORED

Dropping the last leg

javasumatra

Hi all,

I flew out to BKK a few months back with BA, I flew AMS-LHR-BKK-LHR/LGW-AMS) in business.

I know that BA are crap, I'm a huge fan of business on Qatar, Emirates, Etihad (although I hear they have gone downhill a bit), Qantas etc but my BA flight was €1150 and I was able to drop the last leg and hop on an AA flight back to the US from LHR. I checked in a bag in BKK and was able to reclaim it at LHR as my connection back to AMS was from Gatwick.

I've been looking for flights for Christmas and its been a real struggle. I just booked AMS-LHR-KUL-BKK-SIN-LHR-AMS with BA for $1760 (Emirates $2200, Cathay $2300, Qatar - no idea), Again I am not a BA fan but at least with this routing I avoid the dreaded BA9/10 on the clapped out 777-200 and get to fly the BA 787/A380 and MH 737-800 and the Cathay A330 :-(. 

Do you think that if I ask at check in at BKK that they will just check my bag to LHR as I am going to do the offski there? Or would you go HBO??

Thanks,

The simplest way to do it is to put a few days (it doesnt matter how many as you wont be taking the next flight) between the BKK-SIN-LHR and the LHR-AMS sectors then you will your bag will only be checked as far as LHR anyway

On 08/08/2018 at 16:19, gmingot said:

The simplest way to do it is to put a few days (it doesnt matter how many as you wont be taking the next flight) between the BKK-SIN-LHR and the LHR-AMS sectors then you will your bag will only be checked as far as LHR anyway

That probably wont be an option: the flight timings/routings are decided by the airline on those cheap tickets and they will just programme in a standard connection time in London.

Hidden City ticketing is a very well-known trick, though everybody who posts about it thinks they have just discovered a new way to save money  :)  lol.  Its asked several times a week on the TA Air Forum by newbies

Asking for your baggage to be checked not to your final booked destination, should result in your flight booking being repriced to the correct price for the route you actually want, which I imagine is more expensive  :)

46 minutes ago, jaynewcastle said:

Hidden City ticketing is a very well-known trick, though everybody who posts about it thinks they have just discovered a new way to save money  :)  lol.  Its asked several times a week on the TA Air Forum by newbies

If youre only going one way with carry on it could be great:P  but thats not many people.

Upon making my most recent flight booking i was chasing SYD-HKG-BKK, i didnt even bother asking about QF as theyre tight as a nuns cun# with award space, so thought CX would be an option, no luck but the lovely lass at American Airlines suggested i should do SYD-AUH-BKK for the same 40000 points all direct to Asia options are in business.

I declined and booked MH via KUL instead as theres not a hope in hell im spending 24 hours flying and in transit for a trip to Bangkok.

So if you wanted to get to Abu Dhabi from Sydney..there it is folks, business class for half the asking price:D  Do it too many times and they'll can you though.

Archived