IGNORED

Neighbour-Free Seats

Rainsberger

Hi Guys

I have flights for 2nd October with Etihad Airways from Heathrow Airport and am considering purchasing neighbour-free-seats on all of my 4 legs, as I have not done this before I am looking for any information from anyone who has done this before.

My first flight EY12 has a scale between £55------to-----£135 and already has a lock in start of £85

The 2nd flight EY402 has a scale between £45-----to-----£80 and has already has a lock in start of £55

This scale also applies to my 3rd flight EY401 return, then the 4th flight scale £55--to--£120 and lock in start of £70

Do I use there lock in prices or offer less or more really need some help here, has anyone already used the neighbour-free-seats option.

Not been able to find any reviews anywhere so be most grateful for any help thanks. There prices I quote are for just the 1 empty seat.                       

So i guess nobody has yet bid for Neighbour-free- seats with Etihad Airways

What's a neighbor_free_seats?

Me no daft, me no silly, me wear condom on my Willy.

Same as above what are they?.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

From the info given I'd hazard a guess as them being empty seats you pay/bid an amount for to ensure they are empty during the flight (next to you).

trouble is in october the plane may have multiple empty seats on all the legs and you might end up shelling out over 250 pounds for 4 spare seats that may have been vacant anyway. it's not exactly high season.

I tried and failed to get 4 adjacent seats on one flight using the 'minimum' per seat bid slider.

But unless there's an epidemic of 'buyers' the spare seats are still going to be empty and with gold card status, they seem to give them anyhow.

7 minutes ago, regyai said:

I tried and failed to get 4 adjacent seats on one flight using the 'minimum' per seat bid slider.

But unless there's an epidemic of 'buyers' the spare seats are still going to be empty and with gold card status, they seem to give them anyhow.

i have the gold card, and i often have a spare seat next to me when others have not. but if the flight is full then so is the seat next to me. no way would i bid extra but if an airline knows from pre sales that a flight ain't gonna be full it's a crafty way of earning more revenue by making the offer available and seeing if the fish bite

Etihad are normally so empty - especially from AUX to BKK - that you get a neighbour free seat anyway

7 hours ago, striderman said:

trouble is in october the plane may have multiple empty seats on all the legs and you might end up shelling out over 250 pounds for 4 spare seats that may have been vacant anyway. it's not exactly high season.

Thanks guys for all the interesting replies and striderman you may well be right there with the empty seats especially with the continuing fall in the british pound, i can monitor how the seats are filling up by going on the Etihad web site and managing my account and with 7 weeks to go there seems plenty of seats still available especially in the middle and at the back so i still have plenty of time to decide anyway thanks again for all the replies.  

At the moment Etihad have allocated me free seats near the front and i cannot change them without paying for them so can only hope i can change them free at check-in.

4 hours ago, Rainsberger said:

Thanks guys for all the interesting replies and striderman you may well be right there with the empty seats especially with the continuing fall in the british pound, i can monitor how the seats are filling up by going on the Etihad web site and managing my account and with 7 weeks to go there seems plenty of seats still available especially in the middle and at the back so i still have plenty of time to decide anyway thanks again for all the replies.  

At the moment Etihad have allocated me free seats near the front and i cannot change them without paying for them so can only hope i can change them free at check-in.

Have a look on expertflyer.com and seatguru.com, They might give you an idea but in these days of paying to reserve seats its not the most accurate way to get a feeling for loads. The best way is to get a paid sub on expertflyer and this will show you how many seats Etihad are still selling in each class and subclass which will give you a really good view.

This is new to me. I've never heard of neighbour free seats before.  It's something for me to remember but I'm not sure I'm all that bothered about.  Nowadays I am more interested in booking an aisle seat as near the front of economy as possible.

I think I'd rather pay for the seat right in front of me to be free.  Because sometimes the person in front of me wants to adjust the back of his seat has far back as possible.  This I must admit I do not like

On 8/8/2018 at 13:30, striderman said:

even if the seat next to you is not empty, if there are others empty elsewhere and you are quick you can always take those. I suggest moving as soon as you hear "boarding completed" and spread yourself out

Does a "neighbour free" seat mean its a row of two with one seat left empty or perhaps a row of three with the middle seat left empty? If it is the latter, and you had the window seat, you would be shelling out and the person in the aisle seat also gets some of the space benefits

1 hour ago, gmingot said:

Does a "neighbour free" seat mean its a row of two with one seat left empty or perhaps a row of three with the middle seat left empty? If it is the latter, and you had the window seat, you would be shelling out and the person in the aisle seat also gets some of the space benefits

as you are flying a uk flag most economy flights are going to be 3-4-3.

it's the luck of the draw but the airlines have a pretty good idea of expected capacity. if they are offering a pay for an empty seat option it's cos they know it is a flight number unlikely to be full

• 3 months later...

flew saturday evening with them. first leg on an A380 almost completely full. 2nd leg on a 777 i'd say about 80 % capacity and i had a spare seat next to me..............which i deffo didn't pay for. i did spot that the bulkhead and exit rows, which the bastards charge a premium for, were empty and defended by cabin staff on route to stop folks getting something they had not paid for

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/08/2018 at 16:33, ertert said:

Be the last person on the plane then take your pick

This is what I do and usually find a couple of empty seats together. I always book a seat at the back of the plane. Wait until I am last to board and then if I see a few empty seats together as I am walking to mine I just sit in and act as if one is my seat. 

On 12/11/2018 at 00:47, striderman said:

flew saturday evening with them. first leg on an A380 almost completely full. 2nd leg on a 777 i'd say about 80 % capacity and i had a spare seat next to me..............which i deffo didn't pay for. i did spot that the bulkhead and exit rows, which the bastards charge a premium for, were empty and defended by cabin staff on route to stop folks getting something they had not paid for

They've charged for these for a while now however if wernt filled would allow passengers to sit there once all passengers on board,now they don't however as a gold member I got asked on my last flight would I like to sit on the exit row which I refused as although legroom is better I find the seat so much more uncomfy as has everything in the side of the armrest

href="/monthly_10_2009/post-1-125681518559.png">post-1-125681518559.png

Just now, gmoule said:

They've charged for these for a while now however if wernt filled would allow passengers to sit there once all passengers on board,now they don't however as a gold member I got asked on my last flight would I like to sit on the exit row which I refused as although legroom is better I find the seat so much more uncomfy as has everything in the side of the armrest

yeah i have the same card and i know what you mean. i prefer an aisle seat and most times can still get one as i check in early to take advantage of the lounge.

the passengers to suffer most are parents with small kids/babies who of course want to sit together

Fly in seat A or K in Business Class on Cathay Pacific or other 1-2-1 widebodies and you won't have a neighbour and you'll have a little bed as well.

This was a very good topic to read and one i have not heard of until now.So how do you go about doing this as i would love to know.Can you do this on all airlines.I`m sure other bm would find this interesting so can you fill us all in.

As far as i know only Etihad Airways offer neighbour-free-seats.  It very easy to apply for 1 seat or 2 or complete row to stretch out and have a sleep.

(Quote)

Sometimes, we all need a bit of peace and quiet. With Economy Neighbour-Free, you can enjoy up to triple the space and comfort by bidding for one, two or three neighbouring seats, which will stay passenger-free for the duration of your journey.

Simply ‘place your bid’ in the box below and wait to hear from us. Good luck!

All you do is bid for a neighbour-free-seat by making your offer if you look at my post no 1 at the top you will see some prices they offer it's up to you what you offer, you can also edit your offer at any time, offer more or less. Then the day before your flights Etihad will notify you if your bid as been successful and charge your account, if not successful you pay nothing and keep your original seat you booked it's that simple.

The prices in my first post are only for 1 seat. you can see the rest by going to Etihad website.

I did on an Air France flight from BKK to CDG. I had my 3 big dogs as check in luggage and I usually fly business class, but with the added expense of the dogs I decided to go Economy and buy 2 seats. The second seat was cheaper (as they do not give you baggage allowance for it) and I had initially booked it as a double seat at the back by themselves, but in the event I ended up gifting a Frenchie the pleasure an empty seat between us on a rammed packed flight. I got the best price by phoning the carrier directly as travel agents / online will simply charge you full price. 

Archived