Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Soi Buakhao Buffet Bistro Near Action Street

Evil Penevil

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

That's true, but even factoring in the cost of a return bus trip to Bangkok + BTS travel to Ploenchit (about 300B) that curry lunch is still better value for money than anything that Pattaya can offer in the way of Indian food, as far as I'm concerned.

Eatigo is indeed about the only way to get reasonably priced Indian food in Pattaya. I tried Karma with Eatigo but whilst the food was OK at 50% off, it did nothing to improve the very mediocre presentation and service. And of course in most cases, the Eatigo discount only brings the price down to what it should be. For example, at Karma a 50% discount on their Thali brings it down to 150B, which is what the restaurant reviewed in this topic charges at lunchtime anyway. Still, I wont look a gift horse in the mouth too closely.

Well, I actually stopped going to Karma even with a discount because I wasn't happy with the food the last few visits. But I have had some excellent dishes there. Restaurants change and are inconsistent.

Will see if new restaurant Surichi is any good. They looked to have a somewhat ambitious menu, a bit more than the usual standards but there is so much competition I suppose they are trying Eatigo out to get more exposure. 

I still don't see your logic about Bangkok. How many people are going to bus in and out to Bangkok to just save money on lunch? 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only decent curry house i have found in Pattaya is Indian By Nature in Jomtein. Expensive and you have to get there and back.

I just cannot justify these little treats anymore.

10 hours ago, Kreggerz said:

I still don't see your logic about Bangkok. How many people are going to bus in and out to Bangkok to just save money on lunch? 

It's not a question of saving money. To save money I would just eat Thai curry and rice at BigC food court for 40B. But I dont need to do that.

It's a question of getting something good for a reasonable price. Even if paying 300B to get there, that 249B Bangkok buffet (rounded up to 549B) is still good value and beats any Indian I have had here for that total price, except perhaps for Thalis I used to have at Indian by Nature when they were still on Eatigo (an 800B Thali came in at around 500B after the discount).

Of course, I would be unlikely to go to Bangkok purely to eat a 249B curry lunch (though I readily admit that I did do it once, as I wanted to try it), but if I had anything else to do in Bangkok (shopping etc, perhaps a dental or hospital visit) I would not hesitate to combine the two. And indeed I have quite often done so.

well i don't do facebook but a mate and a BM on here tells me that the place is up for sale already.

roll up roll up, 2.5 million baht and the rent is 45,000 a month. bargain   !!!!

6 hours ago, striderman said:

well i don't do Facebook but a mate and a BM on here tells me that the place is up for sale already.

roll up roll up, 2.5 million baht and the rent is 45,000 a month. bargain   !!!!

And in the meantime, SBB has lowered the price of the "buffet."  From their FB page:

Capture2.JPG.73f5f2d2a9da5d4c11ebf9d1e9f02f0c.JPG

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

I had a chance to try Surichi on their 50 percent off eatigo.

They didn't seem thrilled about that.

So I ordered a lot of food -- Goan fish curry, rajma (pinto bean) masala curry, vegetable raita yogurt, basmati rice, tawa roti. 

The food was definitely decent and definitely worth going on the discount offer. The two curries looked similar but happily tasted different. I doubt the Goan fish curry was actually Goan but it tasted good anyway.  The rajma masala wasn't the style I prefer (too little beans, too much gravy) but again it tasted good. 

It was a poorly balanced choice. Would have been better to switch out an appetizer such as a tandoori kebab for a curry.

The regular menu price for the Goan fish curry is 250 which is pretty standard for Pattaya, if a little low. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2018 at 02:31, Evil Penevil said:

And in the meantime, SBB has lowered the price of the "buffet."  From their FB page:

Capture2.JPG.73f5f2d2a9da5d4c11ebf9d1e9f02f0c.JPG

Now 100B. Still not been myself as I have guests visiting who only want to eat Thai food, and only non-spicy dishes of that. I'm looking forward to them leaving so that I can get a bit of variety again.

• 1 month later...

all change all change. new signs, new name up as a straight indian restaurant. i will get a pic probably tuesday but today i was looking from a baht bus having been tipped off by another BM

5 hours ago, striderman said:

all change all change. new signs, new name up as a straight indian restaurant. i will get a pic probably tuesday but today i was looking from a baht bus having been tipped off by another BM

Ah. That would explain why I couldnt see it when I drove past yesterday. Shame as I never actually managed to try it.

Will I bother with it if it's now just a regular Indian restaurant? Probably not: there are hundreds of them here and 99.9% or more are way overpriced and not very good. Presumably this will be just another like that. If anyone does try it they can post a review.

Just now, KittenKong said:

Ah. That would explain why I couldnt see it when I drove past yesterday. Shame as I never actually managed to try it.

Will I bother with it if it's now just a regular Indian restaurant? Probably not: there are hundreds of them here and 99.9% or more are way overpriced and not very good. Presumably this will be just another like that. If anyone does try it they can post a review.

i only take the pics. no reviews or very seldom from me. but tomorrow i will have pics

10 minutes ago, striderman said:

i only take the pics. no reviews or very seldom from me. but tomorrow i will have pics

You take great pics!

Very much appreciated!

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 20:19, davidge said:

With many offering discounts if you book through Eatigo. Friend just got 50% off buffet at Marriott Thonglor.

that's a great deal...one of the better buffets

I'm going to have to bargain like a Thai if the GBP goes further down, "Can I 'ave 20% off mi breakfast if I only 'ave 'alf a sausage"?

4 hours ago, dh842 said:

You take great pics!

Very much appreciated!

cheers.

the pics.................the old establishment having run about 9/10 weeks. life on buakaow is tough

5bc5dfdc2b73f_16oct014(Custom).JPG.46db06395ac3547ec35ed64f08104a19.JPG

5bc5dff6eb458_16oct015(Custom).JPG.dd2baa27d775373d520aafdafa62d173.JPG

with europian food !

too late to edit but i noticed the tel number is the same, so maybe it's a rebrand rather than a sale to another guy

Rough times on Indian restaurants in southern Buakhao. Pakistani joint which replaced Bosch Bar near Action Street went tits up in three weeks. Now empty for couple of months. I was sitting in the bar opposite that unit and the owners were puzzled who wants to open Paki/Indian restaurant in that end of Buakhao. They never saw anyone eating there. 

Just now, jpmelville said:

Rough times on Indian restaurants in southern Buakhao. Pakistani joint which replaced Bosch Bar near Action Street went tits up in three weeks. Now empty for couple of months. I was sitting in the bar opposite that unit and the owners were puzzled who wants to open Paki/Indian restaurant in that end of Buakhao. They never saw anyone eating there. 

i know the one you mean. i never saw anybody in the place either

5 minutes ago, striderman said:

no. action st /beer bar complex that only has 1 way in and out,is south of Soi 15 roughly opposite Links hotel. soi Made in Thailand is north of soi honey and runs from by jollys/piss stop bar through to second rd by VT6.

Oh yes, I know it but haven't been there for several years maybe 5 it was a bit dead - how is it now?

Just now, jed§ said:

Oh yes, I know it but haven't been there for several years maybe 5 it was a bit dead - how is it now?

more life in a tramps vest

4 minutes ago, striderman said:

more life in a tramps vest

That's what I thought...

it's a wonder where these people keep getting all this money to through at these places , there was 2 places behind big c extra and both were shut and reopened 3 times in 15 mths . must cost them a motza ! plus they were refurbished each time !

nothing better to do  

I had an indian in one of the many indian restaurants on soi mango near the March hotel. It was awful. Keema masala, minced lamb and peas, beautiful if done right, but they produced shredded lamb with garlic, cold rice and nan.

The reality is that these places have no footfall and therefore are normally very poor. Found the tikka centre not to bad, with nice fried dal.

There seems to be a small busy area on soi bukahao and the rest of the businesses struggle.Nice diner looks a similar idea to the great american sandwich bar but look what happened to it.

So hard for these places to survive with a busy 3 month period and the rest of the year quiet.  

12 hours ago, jpmelville said:

I ate there. It was fairly good actually. The owner had a weird attitude though. I would ask about things on the menu which were mistakes and he would get angry. 

Archived