Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Mosquito bites

fpv

I use Jungle Juice which is something like 100% deet. I usually just get bit a couple times over the course of a two week trip and that's because I forgot to put on the Jungle Juice.

Always buy the insect repellant in the country you are in. I use the following which is called OFF which is widely available in Thailand. For bites NEVER itch put on either Tiger Balm or the nose sticks (liquid) that the girls put up their noses as it stops it itching.

13194F9A-3201-4C72-BFCA-8BE63E6CFFF8.jpeg

I drink a lot of Gin tonics, never have problem with mosquios, but occasionally I have a big headache.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I find the tiger balm good. It usually takes the itch off well. 

I thought the bites were bad in Thailand until I went to northern Italy. Jesus, those bites made my whole ankle and arms swell up ! 

Inside of banana peel is faster and far superior to anything you can but over the counter. 

I was shocked when i first tried it.

I use a medicated oil called Kwang Loong available at Boots in Walking st.

Apply it to the bite immediatley and it stops the reaction and itch.

Got infected with chickungunya a few years back in Pattaya, a good reminder, haven’t gone without protection since. 

Made a 1st visit last month and was concerned about mozzies after reading online guidance from nhs etc and talking with friends who have experience of the region.

In the event I think it was several days before I got around to buying some Sketolene spray from 7-11

In the meantime several small cuts appeared on my face and scalp. Don't know where they came from - maybe from mozzies ? - but I had no irritation or feeling ill. Problem was they would start bleeding, like when I was in a bar talking to a girl - not a good look. After searching around a little I got some spray on bandage from Superdrug (I think) at Central festival for 190 baht. Did the trick, stings when you spray it on, but it's invisible, and did a great job sealing and healing those cuts.

D hotel had a couple of mozzies by the swimming pool on the 8th floor. One of them was fricking huge and was following me around the pool. The cleaning lady thought it was hilarious when I splashed water at it. Another guest told me they're always there and maybe they live there, but never bother you. I thought he was winding me up, but sure enough, I saw them in the pool area most days I went up there for a swim.

I did use the Sketolene spray a few times - it does sting a little - but then I forgot. Apart from by the pool at the D hotel I don't recall seeing any mozzies during a couple of weeks I spent in Pattaya, though I confined myself mostly to the area around Soi Buakhoa, WS and Soi 6.

6 hours ago, scotty man said:

I use a medicated oil called Kwang Loong available at Boots in Walking st.

Apply it to the bite immediatley and it stops the reaction and itch.

How much is this please 

• 3 weeks later...

If it get really bad it also worth taking some mosquito tablets a couple of weeks before your trip. I think they are supposed to make it o that you emit a scent that the insects don't like and thus will stay away from you. you can pick that sort of stuff up from a local boots or pharmacist. 

After reading some of the trip reports on here, the idea of getting bitten by a mosquito that might have bitten some of you guys is terrifying. 

Fortunately they don't bite me. I always ask for extra chilli in my som tam. My blood tastes like Tabasco Sauce. 

On 2018-08-01 at 20:48, logboy said:

I drink a lot of Gin tonics, never have problem with mosquios, but occasionally I have a big headache.

GT also keeps the malaria away from you. Your headache comes probably from other reasons....:) 

Prevention is better than cure, even though I am less bothered by mozzies these days which I put down to eating more Thai food (mein phet). I spray before going out with a deet formula, and as I and a lot of LT girls prefer the A/C off at night, I have a plug in mozzie infuser. I do this as I get more mozzie bites when asleep than any other time whether accompanied or not.

Best, to stop them biting you at all, so I also recommend 'Off'

But if you want to stop the itching etc. from the bites then taking a daily dose of anti-histamine tablets will do the trick.

• 1 month later...

2-3 months before i go to Thailand i take vit b tablets.Supposed to help.Used to take Jungle (something)but you can get plenty of stuff in Patts now.

They used to attack me around the lower leg in the evenings, then I bought some repellent at the local 7-11 for less than 100 baht, works fine for me.

image1.JPG

Seems to be less around currently, maybe as its dry season. BTW i had "Avon Skin so Soft" knocking about so tried it and kept the mosquitoes away

4 hours ago, Wolf Cat said:

They used to attack me around the lower leg in the evenings, then I bought some repellent at the local 7-11 for less than 100 baht, works fine for me.

Citronella does have a habit of making you smell a bit .... floral ?

Is mosquitoes really a big problem in Thailand? like common to get bitten, not the disease they might have.

Cause during my trips there, Chiang Mai, Bangkok och Pattaya I have never gotten bitten, have barely seen a mosquito, and back home in Sweden, it's not unusuall for me to get 10-15 bites if I'm out in the evening.

Maybe the Thai mosquitoes have a different taste lol.

Is mosquitoes really a big problem in Thailand? like common to get bitten, not the disease they might have.
Cause during my trips there, Chiang Mai, Bangkok och Pattaya I have never gotten bitten, have barely seen a mosquito, and back home in Sweden, it's not unusuall for me to get 10-15 bites if I'm out in the evening.
Maybe the Thai mosquitoes have a different taste lol.
Depends where you go in Pattaya. I've found if you go for a massage around 5pm you are more likely to get bitten, especially in those poorly lit massage places. Certain thai restaurants i go to can be bad after rain

Archived