IGNORED

Korean or Singapore

javasumatra

Hi all,

I've got a couple of trips lined up to Pattaya. I am going over Thanksgiving with Cathay in economy out of Chicago via Hong Kong. I have OWE so I get the first class lounges, extra baggage, fast track and exit aisle seats all they way. I am going again in March and this one is on Cathay again but this in first out of JFK.

I've got two options for Christmas, I can go home to London and spend it with family and friends or I can go to Phitsanulok and spend it there with the in-laws. I've been looking at flights out of anywhere on the east coast on Dec 21/22 returning Jan 1/2/3.

So far, Here are the best flights I have come up with (BC is really, really expensive) -

Korean Economy JFK-BKK   Dec 21st - Jan 1st  20hrs each way with a brief stop in ICN.

Singapore Premium economy EWR-SIN Dec 21st - Jan 1st  18.5 hours non-stop but obviously, I'll need another flight to Bangkok

I've been looking at the Korean economy seat - 33in pitch on the 777 and 34in pitch on the A380.

Has anyone got experience of either of these products please?

Thansk,

I will try to fly exclusively on Korean Air.  Much more leg room is standard, ICN airport is a breeze to deal with.  My last two trips were with them, best I have had.  If the price is within $150 I will use them on all my trips.

Joker...

I'm a fan of Korean, but I have only flown them in business and first class.

I flew Singapore Premium Economy non-stop from LAX-ICN (and back).   I was pretty happy with it - on the way out, my row was wide open, so I moved into the middle 2 seats (it's a 2-4-2 set-up) and lifted the arm rest to give me a "double wide" seat (the arm rest does not lift up between aisle seat and seat next to it).  On the way back, the plane was pretty full.

If you can get the seats by the exit door, you have virtually unlimited leg room, but I think they may be a little narrower, because video screen tucks under space between seats.  I considered moving to it, but went back to my row and the "double seat."

Leg room is good, and the seat reclines a couple of extra inches.

With Singapore PE, you also get the "book the cook" option, which gives you more dining choices.

BTW, the EWR-SIN non-stop route starts in October and will be the longest route in operation.  If you're a "flight geek" that may appeal to you.

Here is a blog on the PE seating on that plane:  
https://thepointsguy.com/news/singapore-airlines-new-premium-economy-seat-worlds-longest-flight/

While I agree that ICN is a nice airport, I think Changi in Singapore has an even better reputation.

All in all, I would do Singapore PE, especially if the prices are close.

4 hours ago, TheJoker said:

I will try to fly exclusively on Korean Air.  Much more leg room is standard, ICN airport is a breeze to deal with.  My last two trips were with them, best I have had.  If the price is within $150 I will use them on all my trips.

Joker...

2 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I'm a fan of Korean, but I have only flown them in business and first class.

I flew Singapore Premium Economy non-stop from LAX-ICN (and back).   I was pretty happy with it - on the way out, my row was wide open, so I moved into the middle 2 seats (it's a 2-4-2 set-up) and lifted the arm rest to give me a "double wide" seat (the arm rest does not lift up between aisle seat and seat next to it).  On the way back, the plane was pretty full.

If you can get the seats by the exit door, you have virtually unlimited leg room, but I think they may be a little narrower, because video screen tucks under space between seats.  I considered moving to it, but went back to my row and the "double seat."

Leg room is good, and the seat reclines a couple of extra inches.

With Singapore PE, you also get the "book the cook" option, which gives you more dining choices.

BTW, the EWR-SIN non-stop route starts in October and will be the longest route in operation.  If you're a "flight geek" that may appeal to you.

Here is a blog on the PE seating on that plane:  
https://thepointsguy.com/news/singapore-airlines-new-premium-economy-seat-worlds-longest-flight/

While I agree that ICN is a nice airport, I think Changi in Singapore has an even better reputation.

All in all, I would do Singapore PE, especially if the prices are close.

Thanks @TheJoker and @Luv2Phuket for the input.

i missed out some vital info - Korean airlines economy is $1550, Singapore PE $1990 and that’s the a350-900 ulr non stop but I need to add another 150 bucks for sin-bkk-sin.

@Luv2Phuket I’ve got no status with *A or Singapore airlines, do you know if any Lounge access comes with PE ewr-sin?

thanks

2 hours ago, javasumatra said:

Thanks @TheJoker and @Luv2Phuket for the input.

i missed out some vital info - Korean airlines economy is $1550, Singapore PE $1990 and that’s the a350-900 ulr non stop but I need to add another 150 bucks for sin-bkk-sin.

@Luv2Phuket I’ve got no status with *A or Singapore airlines, do you know if any Lounge access comes with PE ewr-sin?

thanks

I do NOT think PE on Singapore gets you lounge access -- it didn't get me lounge access on LAX-ICN or the return.

I have a Priority Pass membership (free through multiple credit cards), so I just used it.

I'm a big guy (6'2"; 265 lbs), so I avoid economy at all costs.  If I am paying (rather than using points), I will do Premium Economy over Economy every time.

Looking at SeatGuru, I think Korean does the JFK-ICN route on an A380, so 33-34 inches of pitch and 18 inch wide seats in economy (pretty generous for economy); Singapore PE will be 38 inches of pitch and 19 inches wide.  Doesn't sound like much, but those extra 4 or 5 inches of pitch and the extra inch of width can make a big difference in comfort if you're a big, tall guy.  

Last thing to note - based on that blog (and others), the Singapore flight will only have business and premium economy, with a total of 161 seats.  Korean does JFK-ICN on an A380 with 407 seats.  Again, a minor issue, but loading/unloading the plane and waiting for checked bags can be very time consuming when you have over twice the passengers.

I think Korean economy gets pretty high marks, so I don't know that you can go wrong either way.

One thing I would strongly suggest is checking SeatGuru before you book your seats -- pat particular attention to the User Comments in the lower part of the far right column.  They are usually MUCH more helpful than the generic map.

BTW, when do you fly Cathay in November?  I am doing LAX-HKG-BKK on Cathay on Nov. 15.

Ironically as it pertains to this thread, I am coming back on Singapore's new SIN-LAX non-stop on Nov. 26.

16 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

BTW, when do you fly Cathay in November?  I am doing LAX-HKG-BKK on Cathay on Nov. 15.

Ironically as it pertains to this thread, I am coming back on Singapore's new SIN-LAX non-stop on Nov. 26.

I'm heading out on CX807 ORD-HKG on November 17th and heading back on December 2nd. I'm hoping for an opup in Cathay, I have OneWorld Emerald status via BA I'm not holding out too much hope. I am meeting family from the UK and Ireland in Bangkok and we are going to Phuket for 10 days.

I get 15 days vacation per year but we also get an additional week for Thanksgiving and another for Christmas so it kind of limits when I can travel. 

The Singapore airlines flight has gone up so I am leaning strongly towards Korean for the Christmas trip.

I flew BKK-ICN-YVR on Korean in Economy a few years ago, and was extremely impressed with the comfort & space, also the cabin-crew were exceptional  ...  I wouldn't hesitate to fly Korean/Economy again.

Archived