Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

"Flying Greens" Lives Up to Its Name

Evil Penevil

Pakbungloyfah, which translates roughly as "flying greens" or "flying vegetables," lives up to its name on occasion.  An extremely high heat is used to fry the greens, resulting in them catching fire. 

IMG_0057.jpg

The content of the wok full of greens is tossed across 2nd Road for the amusement of guests and passers-by. 

IMG_0070.jpg

The Pakbungloyfah branch near Walking Street is carrying on an old tradition.  There's a story about two Thai brothers who each ran a small restaurant across the street from the other. The brothers noticed that the higher they tossed the flaming greens, the bigger a crowd formed and the better business became. They got so expert that they eventually tossed the wok's contents across the street for the other to catch. Who knows if this actually happened, but it's the explanation given for the name of the dish from which the restaurant takes its name.

I took these pics back in February during Chinese New Year, but Pakbungloyfah has continued with the greens' tossing on an irregular basis since then.  A few months ago, they seemed to be doing it every Saturday, but I don't know if that has continued into low season.  

Pakbungloyfah is a Thai seafood and sizzling platter restaurant on 2nd Road.  It's located between Sois 13/3 and 13/4 and is directly across the street from the intersection of 2nd Road and Soi 15. It's open between 4 p.m. and 4 a.m. seven days a week.

1.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

From what I've seen on several nights, the guy across the street catches the greens about half the time.

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

IMG_0075a.jpg

Waiting for traffic on 2nd Road to pass:

IMG_0076b.jpg

IMG_0077c.jpg

IMG_0079e.jpg

IMG_0080f.jpg

IMG_0081g.jpg

IMG_0082h.jpg

All done!

IMG_0083i.jpg

This looks... interesting. So is it merely a show/attraction to get customers in the door? How's the actual food inside?

From what I've seen on several nights, the guy across the street catches the greens about half the time.

Maybe they should try this on Soi Buakhow instead ? :Dunno1:

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

26 minutes ago, tenpro said:

This looks... interesting. So is it merely a show/attraction to get customers in the door? How's the actual food inside?

It's a show, but the food is good.  It's very popular with Thais and Asian tourists. I did a review of the restaurant, but that review is old. However, not much has changed at Pakbungloyfah.

A recent meal, duck with mushroomsIMG_0105.jpg.26e5bfa7e8c03b984aedf4e4a214b723.jpg:

IMG_0109.jpg.9137c9b45fa76334b4677d382bfdb983.jpg

Evil

Shame they're resorting to gimmicks to sell now. The food is good enough normally.

By the looks of it this is happening on the pavement ... i wouldn't want to be walking past the guy while he's tossing 

his veg

On 23/07/2018 at 06:20, Autoroam said:

Shame they're resorting to gimmicks to sell now. The food is good enough normally.

Nothing new, they have been doing this since it first opened.

So if you are wandering around Soi 13/4  neighborhood, you know where you can get your salad tossed. 

This could definitely lead to a somewhat unusual insurance claim. "There I was, walking down the street, minding my own business, when I suddenly get hit in the head by a blazing broccoli."

On 7/23/2018 at 11:30, Evil Penevil said:

Pakbungloyfah, which translates roughly as "flying greens" or "flying vegetables,"

I didn't realise there were other Pakbung Loy Fah restaurants. I was aware of the one at the top of Soi Chayapoon and 3rd Road, where I eat on occasion. I don't go near Walking Street much.

I think a closer translation of Pakbung Loy Fah is  'morning glory up to the sky'.

Scent from my anus using crapatalk

1 hour ago, roger buttmore said:

I think a closer translation of Pakbung Loy Fah is  'morning glory up to the sky'.

In the original review of Pakbungloyfah in 2014,  I  wrote:

On 7/28/2014 at 00:56, Evil Penevil said:

Pakbungloyfah translates roughly as "flying greens" or "flying vegetable." Pak bung is the Thai word for the vegetable called morning glory, water spinach and even swamp cabbage in English. The flying part comes from the way the greens are tossed in a wok to extinguish flames. An extremely high heat is used to fry the greens, resulting in them catching fire. 

pakbung.jpg.eb212a95b57e2dd0e3693f2430fff28f.jpg

I just tried to keep it a bit simpler this time.  To a lot of people, this is a morning glory:

Ipomoea_Purpurea_Grandpa_Ott.jpg.005f6f9cc1bfcf9264429e3170b082d4.jpg

I've seen it fairly often on my walks to WS and I've never seen him miss. It's very popular with Chinese tourists who video it with their phones.

Maybe the "team" has gotten better with practice?

Evil

17 hours ago, roger buttmore said:

I didn't realise there were other Pakbung Loy Fah restaurants. I was aware of the one at the top of Soi Chayapoon and 3rd Road, where I eat on occasion. I don't go near Walking Street much.

Also a branch on Pattaya Klang

There was a branch on Pattaya Nua as well. Nearly opposite Health Land Spa. Not sure if it still open though. Only opens in the evening.

21 hours ago, tolstitree said:

There was a branch on Pattaya Nua as well. Nearly opposite Health Land Spa. Not sure if it still open though. Only opens in the evening.

Correct, I had forgotten about that one.

Checking google maps, it was still open Jan. of this year.

Archived