Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Sprint USA free roaming in Thailand

javasumatra

Hi all,

I bought a Sprint SIM card a few weeks back. The package I got was unlimited minutes, text and data for $15 a month (which in reality with taxes and BS charges works out at about $19). I was just reading and saw that they offer free DATA roaming (2g only) and free texts from Thailand -

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/services/global-roaming.html?INTMKT=MA:US:AAD:Landing

I'll probably still top up my AIS sim but worth knowing I think - Good enough for LINE, Whatsapp, imessage etc

I have Sprint in the US and I have not been able to get 2g to work.  Sprint unlocked my phone also by calling the international travel department.  I use AIS sim while in Thailand.  I use Google Voice for my voicemail on Sprint so that is easy to check.  

The only issue I really have is that when I get back to the US I only get about 2 days worth of text messages.  I wish there was a way to collect my text messages when using a GSM Sim.  My friends and work text my Sprint number and they don't store the messages.  If anyone has any suggestions on how I can get them I would be grateful.

If you pay 20 baht payments to AIS at the kiosk in the Avenue you willl get 1 month extension to keep your number active, so I do 12 payments and I have a year of keeping my number active for the next trip, this way you don't have to get a new sim every time.  Make sure to bring a paper clip to pop your Sprint sim back in when you land in the US. 

Good luck and if you find any better info please post it here.

I also use Sprint, and data roaming and text messaging while in Thailand work perfectly for me.  I use a Samsung S7 from Sprint.  

I use a different phone for my Thai SIM, which is a Samsung Grand II. My Sprint phone stays in my room.  I get all my email and text messages from the US at no additional charge. My Grand II has a Thai SIM in it and is the phone I use locally in Pattaya. 

It's the one you don't hear that gets you, and the one you don't see coming that traps you.

:WinkGrin1:

Justaguy1954 - Thank you for the insight.  I like using my s7 edge while in Thailand on AIS so maybe I will swap my Sprint service to an old phone before I go and then I can get my messages while in Thailand.  I then can swap it back when I arrive back in the US. 

What settings do you have to change to get 2g and sms on your phone in Thailand? 

9 minutes ago, doug said:

Justaguy1954 - Thank you for the insight.  I like using my s7 edge while in Thailand on AIS so maybe I will swap my Sprint service to an old phone before I go and then I can get my messages while in Thailand.  I then can swap it back when I arrive back in the US. 

What settings do you have to change to get 2g and sms on your phone in Thailand? 

Nothing.  It connected automatically when I got off the plane.

It's the one you don't hear that gets you, and the one you don't see coming that traps you.

16 minutes ago, Justaguy1954 said:

Nothing.  It connected automatically when I got off the plane.

How long has this worked for you this way.  I haven't tried it since November of last year.  Do you have you network set to Automatic?

Yes, network is set to automatic and all roaming is turned on. I was in Pattaya November through January 2018

Same holds true for t-mobile USA, and it just works.

Want to keep a full history of all text messages you’ve ever sent? Get an iPhone. I have all my iMessages going back to 2007.

I think it's part of the Sprint and T-Mobile merger deal.  I'm using a One Plus phone with T-Mobile and it works fine in Thailand.  I get a text message (free data -2G- and .20/min calls) as soon as I turn off airplane mode when I land in BKK.  My excuse that my phone doesn't work in Thailand is no longer valid...

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

• 2 years later...

I know that this is an old thread....My question here is, it using T-Mobile is the "free" internet in Thailand fast enough for using LINE?

Another hints about using your T-Mobile stateside service in Thailand?

I don't use Line and have no idea of bandwidth requirements. I have used my T-Mobile account for email, google maps and light surfing on the web using the phone and tethered laptop.

On 10/03/2021 at 09:56, Roadglide said:

I know that this is an old thread....My question here is, it using T-Mobile is the "free" internet in Thailand fast enough for using LINE?

Another hints about using your T-Mobile stateside service in Thailand?

Yes 2G is fast enough for line.   Except video calls and messages with many photos.   If it's just messaging yes it's fine.