IGNORED

VPN Recommendations

davidge

It depends on what you want the VPN to do...most spill their guts to the 5 eyes data trawl so if you don't want to be tracked then go for one which isn't based in one of those 5 countries or friends off and do not save your logs anywhere.

I use iVPN which has a very good rep.

Not tried it with iPlayer but will do that now...yup that works though you now have to register with the BBC :D

Just make sure you get a client which covers the devices you use and more importantly look at the limit of devices you can use, some have a very low 2 or 3 devices which is ridiculous nowadays.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Express VPN works with iPlayer, i was getting my WC highlights from there using it without issue.

Loads of servers & ip addresses so should be able to do whatever you want without any issue.

On 7/10/2018 at 20:31, davidge said:

Thanks. That’s what I thought. I guess the companies like the BBC could identify some of these servers and block them? There’s a couple of UK only sites that I’ve tried this trip and IPVanish hasn’t ‘tricked’ them.

Basically there is a public registrar where who owns IP addresses is supposed to declare their use, e.g. home internet, hosting provider, VPN... 

So there is two things that can be happening. Either the websites you visit have a feed of well known IP addresses they blacklist or they go by their registrar entry. 

In any case you should do a free trial of some other provider, e.g. Nordvpn, and make sure to use one of the IPs they declare to be usable on Netflix since those have fake registrar entries. 

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

• 1 month later...

Just managed to get Nordvpn working with BBC iPlayer. Had to delete all BBC-related browser cookies first, for whatever reason, and sign back in but it's running just fine now. UK Lotto website seems to be working too, although I didn't actually buy anything just logged into my account.

The only problem I've had with it is logging into AliExpress, I don't use Netflix though.

I use Witopia and it is very reliable and doesn't lose too much bandwidth.

It has a selection of worldwide locations and a specific link for the BBC iplayer.

Noname.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 19:34, article22 said:

It depends on what you want the VPN to do...most spill their guts to the 5 eyes data trawl so if you don't want to be tracked then go for one which isn't based in one of those 5 countries or friends off and do not save your logs anywhere.

I use iVPN which has a very good rep.

Not tried it with iPlayer but will do that now...yup that works though you now have to register with the BBC :D

Just make sure you get a client which covers the devices you use and more importantly look at the limit of devices you can use, some have a very low 2 or 3 devices which is ridiculous nowadays.

5 eyes data crawl?  Cryptic help is always helpful. Thanks

9 minutes ago, bertik said:

5 eyes data crawl?  Cryptic help is always helpful. Thanks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes

Personally I'd be concerned about data leakage to friends family and colleagues, but not so much really organised sleuthing by James Bond types, as I don't think I'm that interesting, and also probably not much I can do about it.

Anything they collect I'm sure they'll eventually decrypt quite easily if they want to.

VPN is interesting as I've heard it can be difficult to access UK online banking facilities from Thailand, which I think I will want to do.  

Been using Nordvpn for 12 months no problems at all have it on 4 laptops, 1 desktop, and 2 tablets works great on all my devices.

Just renewed my subscription for their special offer 3 years at $89 great price.

On 01/09/2018 at 06:49, nekkid said:

VPN is interesting as I've heard it can be difficult to access UK online banking facilities from Thailand, which I think I will want to do.  

I can't speak for all banks but I've had no trouble logging into Nationwide; Lloyds; Halifax; Monzo; and Curve, whilst tunneling with Nordvpn.

1 hour ago, Cropped Shaggy said:

I can't speak for all banks but I've had no trouble logging into Nationwide; Lloyds; Halifax; Monzo; and Curve, whilst tunneling with Nordvpn.

No problems for me with Nordvpn here in the UK either have many banking accounts and credit card accounts.

Lloyds, Coop and Tesco never had a problem logging on.

14 hours ago, nekkid said:

Thanks guys. I'll give Nord a try.

Hope it's not to late but the 3 year special deal finnishes today 3rd September.

5 hours ago, Rainsberger said:

Hope it's not to late but the 3 year special deal finnishes today 3rd September.

Thanks for the reminder, looks like it has finished. Oh well. 

I have also been using nord for a while and I would recommend using them.  They usually have some good deals so you can get it for pretty cheap when signing up for the longer deals.

11 hours ago, nekkid said:

Thanks for the reminder, looks like it has finished. Oh well. 

If all you want to do is occasionally use a VPN for banking and other similar actions just use one of the free ones.

https://windscribe.com/  gets good write ups and I have been using it successfully - but not if you are going to try streaming video as it's free limits are relatively low. 

You don't need to use a vpn, a proxy server will give you access, i have been using   ukproxy.tv   for the last 4yrs for BBCi player

national lottery etc  i only paid 1 month, been free ever since

On 01/09/2018 at 12:49, nekkid said:

I have never needed a VPN for this and I have accounts with several different UK banks.

On 11/07/2018 at 01:34, Kahoy said:

Quite easily I would think. You could use digital ocean and create your own VPN server for $5 a month.

I could give you some instructions on how to set it up.

I dont think that would be very useful for UK TV as it seems to be US based.

Renewed my subscription with Nordvpn using the special 3 year deal at only $89 thats £70.65 UK, very happy now especially with Nordvpn. 

On 26/07/2018 at 23:41, stacksreg123 said:

Basically there is a public registrar where who owns IP addresses is supposed to declare their use, e.g. home internet, hosting provider, VPN...  

What a load of bollocks.  There is no one single registrar and they don't give a shit what the IPs are used for.

This is a link to a spreadsheet https://thatoneprivacysite.net that lists most of the VPN supppliers with details about their products, where thay are based, will the NSA etc have the opportunity to see what you send.

This link explains which governments are working togeather to spy on their populations. ie. US can't spy on US and UK can't spy on UK but UK spys on US and gives it to US and US spys on UK and gives it to UK.

https://www.privacytools.io/#ukusa

The best thing to do is open it in excel and then apply some filters to remove the thing to need. ie, if you want to use P2P remove the VPN that don't support P2P (Column AL).

12 minutes ago, Love_to_eat_Thai said:

What a load of bollocks.  There is no one single registrar and they don't give a shit what the IPs are used for.

Please do not spread your non-knowledge. 

Just check https://www.ripe.net/ for example.

Every IP-address is registered. 

How do you think Netflix can block you when you try to go through some VPS you set up? 

They know exactly what routes come from datacenters and which from ISPs.

So yes there is some database that does classify all IPs, and thats exactly what netflix uses to stop you from watching the US content from outside the US eg.

Only way to get around these checks is actually using an IP that is classified as personal use (comes from ISP). So your best bet is to use some rudimentary peer-to-peer VPN. You can get it running on openVPN. 

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

1 minute ago, stacksreg123 said:

Please do not spread your non-knowledge. 

Just check https://www.ripe.net/ for example.

Every IP-address is registered. 

How do you think Netflix can block you when you try to go through some VPS you set up? 

Ripe are one registrar. There are many others.

Registrars keep a track of companies that are allocated IP ranges, that is all.  They don't keep track of what the companies do with their allocated addresses, they don't keep track of the ranges that companies lease out to others.

Please stop spreading your non-knowledge and trying to instil fear into others.

12 minutes ago, Love_to_eat_Thai said:

Ripe are one registrar. There are many others.

Registrars keep a track of companies that are allocated IP ranges, that is all.  They don't keep track of what the companies do with their allocated addresses, they don't keep track of the ranges that companies lease out to others.

Please stop spreading your non-knowledge and trying to instil fear into others.

Yes that is very true. I just reread my first post and you're correct, the word registrar is misleading as it should read database.

And if you really believe such database does not exist, please do explain how Netflix will detect you routing your traffic through any virtual private server you can set up with hosting companies and block it.

There is no other answer. Unless of course you taught them how to smell the difference between traffic coming from a home or data center :Oops1:

https://analyticsweek.com/content/what-is-a-residential-ip-data-center-proxy-and-what-are-the-differences/

You can believe what you want, but very IP is "registered" as residential or data center.

Archived