Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Good Swiss-style restaurant on Soi Khao Noi

On Soi Khao Noi, somewhere halfway between Noy-T Bar and Soi 9, I visited DEN Swiss House.

You can easily park in front or across the road.

This place is owned by a not so young Thai cook, who has earned his spurs at two Swiss restaurants on Soi Diamond: Swiss Food when it was still managed by Roland (“Rolli”) and the now defunct Swiss House, owned by Andy.

I chose the chateaubriand with béarnaise sauce and Spätzle at 310 baht.

As is the case at most Swiss restaurants around Pattaya, the salad bar and soup of the day are included with a main dish.

The soup of the day happened to be Flädlesuppe.

The owner, who always wears a high chef’s hat, is very friendly as are the waitresses.

The only negative point was that the main dish arrived before I could finish my soup.

As far as I know this place is the only decent restaurant on the Dark Side.

If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

I had dinner quite some times at both Swiss restaurants (however quite some time ago) and food was excellent. So I will follow up your recommendation.

Thanks !

Yes, Den is good restaurant, located just up from TOPs supermarket, and reasonable priced also.

I do totally disagree about it being only decent restaurant on darkside.

For great bar food, there's Murphy's and Topicals, just up from Den.

Then there is my favorite restaurant place on darkside, Pepper and salt. Also have De Marcos-which I think is also Swiss, Aroy too is good.

Also, many good places on Siam Country club, by the lake, Retox and new Mexican place.

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 13:14, jimboh said:

Yes, Den is good restaurant, located just up from TOPs supermarket, and reasonable priced also.

Then there is my favorite restaurant place on darkside, Pepper and salt. Also have De Marcos-which I think is also Swiss, Aroy too is good.

Also, many good places on Siam Country club, by the lake, Retox and new Mexican place.

Right of DEN Swiss House is a Swiss restaurant, Tamara.

Never been there however.

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 09:06, Halfaboy said:

I had dinner quite some times at both Swiss restaurants (however quite some time ago) and food was excellent. So I will follow up your recommendation.

Thanks !

On Soi Diamond Swiss House has closed three years ago and Swiss Food has gone downhill since Stefan runs it.

Den, the owner at DEN Swiss House, managed to recover most furniture from the defunct Swiss House on Soi Diamond.

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 09:06, Halfaboy said:

Thanks !

Swiss House on Soi Diamond went tits up because of Andy’s mismanagement (not going into details) and Swiss Food also on Soi Diamond only survives thanks to their guesthouse.

If you don’t like their free soup, you can order an à la carte soup at 80 baht.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2018 at 17:29, fakebook said:

I don’t like the dog in the restaurant.

The lady in question wouldn,t like your remark also.......:Laugh1:

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 07:14, jimboh said:

Have eaten at Murphy's (food not great, Uk transport caf standard), Pepper & Salt (all style and no substance, average food ruined by way too much salt, expensive), Retox Darkside (went every week when Retox took it over, slightly overpriced but good quality on the whole, more recently food standard has dropped and the 2 draught beers I used to enjoy are no longer served. Peroni and Paulaner, the last few pints of which were served warm, sacrilege for a weiss bier).

Have eaten at Den's Swiss House twice this week. First time had the daily special, meatballs in peppercorn sauce with dumplings and veg. It's called the daily special because it's special and it's on every day! Meatballs were very pasty, no consistency, not much flavour, always a mistake to order beef in Thailand. Sauce was very peppery, personally I loved it. Dumplings were nothing like English dumplings, looked like chips, salty but I liked them. Veg was good, I particularly liked the broccoli which was tossed in finely chopped sautéed onion.

Wife had a Thai meal, fish with chilli, served with rice. She really rated it.

Today I had Smoked salmon tagliatelle in a creamy sauce. Excellent, licked the plate!

Wife had chicken fillet with champagne sauce and tagliatelle. Chicken was a bit overcooked but TiT. Really tasty and too much, half came home in a doggy bag. Also had prawn spring rolls and dipping sauce, best spring rolls I've had in Pattaya.

Also, every meal is preceded by a free plate of mixed salad, fresh and crispy with several ingredients. Dressed with mayo but still tasty

Run by a Thai family from Roi Et. Den and is wife couldn't do enough for us. Lovely couple. Den has spent 27 years working in restaurants in Switzerland. Loved the linen tablecloths, nice touch. 

All in all, good value for money, interesting menu and excellent service. Currently my go to restaurant on the Darkside.

Opening times 11am - 11pm with all inclusive buffet in the air conditioned room served from 5pm onwards.

• 4 months later...
On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 17:47, petermik said:

The lady in question wouldn,t like your remark also.......:Laugh1:

How do you know it’s a bitch?

Did you see it pee?

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 18:33, Patty Boy said:

Have eaten at Murphy's (food not great, Uk transport caf standard), Pepper & Salt (all style and no substance, average food ruined by way too much salt, expensive), Retox Darkside (went every week when Retox took it over, slightly overpriced but good quality on the whole, more recently food standard has dropped and the 2 draught beers I used to enjoy are no longer served. Peroni and Paulaner, the last few pints of which were served warm, sacrilege for a weiss bier).

Have eaten at Den's Swiss House twice this week. First time had the daily special, meatballs in peppercorn sauce with dumplings and veg. It's called the daily special because it's special and it's on every day! Meatballs were very pasty, no consistency, not much flavour, always a mistake to order beef in Thailand. Sauce was very peppery, personally I loved it. Dumplings were nothing like English dumplings, looked like chips, salty but I liked them. Veg was good, I particularly liked the broccoli which was tossed in finely chopped sautéed onion.

Today I had Smoked salmon tagliatelle in a creamy sauce. Excellent, licked the plate!

Wife had chicken fillet with champagne sauce and tagliatelle. Chicken was a bit overcooked but TiT. Really tasty and too much, half came home in a doggy bag. Also had prawn spring rolls and dipping sauce, best spring rolls I've had in Pattaya.

Also, every meal is preceded by a free plate of mixed salad, fresh and crispy with several ingredients. Dressed with mayo but still tasty

Run by a Thai family from Roi Et. Den and is wife couldn't do enough for us. Lovely couple. Den has spent 27 years working in restaurants in Switzerland. Loved the linen tablecloths, nice touch. 

All in all, good value for money, interesting menu and excellent service. Currently my go to restaurant on the Darkside.

Opening times 11am - 11pm with all inclusive buffet in the air conditioned room served from 5pm onwards.

What you call “dumplings” were probably “Spätzle”.

Never compare German/Swiss/Austrian cuisine to English nosh.

The main ingredient of “Spätzle” is flour, whereas chips are made of potatoes.

Den has not been working in Switzerland for 27 years, but he has been working for years in two Swiss restaurants on Soi Diamond.

I couldn’t agree more with you on Pepper & Salt.

Read my thread on this place: Pepper & Salt on Soi Khao Talo.

• 1 month later...

Went to DEN last night, I had the garlic mussels for starters, came with 3 slices of garlic bread, together with a plate of the free salad that comes with ordering main course, was a great starter. For mains, I had the salmon and was excellent, came with boiled potatoes and some boiled veg. Could have done with a few more veg.

Missus had a Thai style fish, looked like a sweat & sour type and she was happy enough with it.

All in all, a nice meal, reasonably priced but I do find the menu uninspiring but I guess it is aimed more at Swiss/German folk. Service was good also.

IMG_5587.JPG

IMG_5588.JPG

To be honest the dog roaming the restaurant and even the kitchen is a big NO.

Sometimes I wonder if Thai people have got a minimum of common sense.

Not going back.

Archived