IGNORED

Emirates or Finnair out of Dublin

tobeornottobe

About to book a trip for the end of August.  Attracted by the Finnair because it's a 2 hour 45 min shorter flight but I suppose Emirates would have better in flight entertainment and comfort.  Advice? 

Unless Finnair are MUCH cheaper, Emirates every time.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I've done both recently (2016 and 2017) on the Dublin-Bangkok route and would choose Finnair every time.

You won't be on Emirates cramped 777 from Dublin to Dubai and back for starters (its horrendous, 3-4-3 and tightest set up I've ever encountered anywhere), Helsinki airport far easier to transit through than Dubai (you don't have to go back through security every time, I've done the round trip twice and only gone back through security 1 time out of 4), overall route quicker and the FinnAir A350 is excellent too, comfortable in 3-3-3.

Smaller aircraft so quicker loading and push back times too. Service probably better on FinnAir now too IMHO. Yes Emirates has better entertainment but how many movies and TV can you really watch?

58 minutes ago, davidge said:

Unless Finnair are MUCH cheaper, Emirates every time.

+1. Emirates are great

Spoke to a guy in March who flew with Emirates and he said they served the people who ordered the special meals but everyone else had to wait 4 hours for food. 

If you're looking at 4 or more hours in Dubai with Emirates then yea Finnair sounds worth going with.

I've done both and would choose Finnair again. Shorter journey time much easier transit in Helsinki. I also felt the A350 to be more comfortable and have a better IFE system than an Emirates 777 or A380 (in economy). Not sure about their older A330s though.

• 2 months later...

Biz - emirates

econony - finnair

Emirates operate at 3-4-3 777 our iof dublin which excludes them from my economy travel plans.

I refuse to fly Emirates economy with their policy of including a laptop bag within the single carry-on bag allowance. Most airlines, including Finnair, allow a separate laptop bag in addition to a carry-on bag.

Not actually flown Emirates to test how strictly they enforce this policy, however. 

I have flown both FinnAir and Emirates from SE Asia to/from Germany/Austria.

Prefer FinnAir for one district reason: no Dubai stop/layover. Helsinki is a clean smallish airport with pleasant short stay.

Wins hands-down on Dubai if the timetable suits.

Think FinnAir now fly Airbus A350: excellent.

In Dubai on my way last 4 rows on the 777-300 dub ban 2 3 2 did online check in and got lucky last aisle seat on 2 good flight air hostes's excellent no stunners but would bf all (I have no standards) currently in lounge at b in t3 concourse b next to macdonalds have to say for €35 awesome value grilled beef superb claret excellent (no expert R &B single malt superb )rest ok usual lovely calorie laden desert hadn't time for tea/coffee 10/10 in my opinion BTW empty

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

F.Y.I. from the 1st November 2018, Finnair charge for all alcoholic drinks served in economy class. Last trip flew with emirates out of Dublin, no problems. Next trip booked Finnair for a change. Advertised as the shortest route to the east. Did not know about the charge for alcoholic drinks at the time. 

"Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!"

On 21/11/2018 at 01:43, offside said:

F.Y.I. from the 1st November 2018, Finnair charge for all alcoholic drinks served in economy class. Last trip flew with emirates out of Dublin, no problems. Next trip booked Finnair for a change. Advertised as the shortest route to the east. Did not know about the charge for alcoholic drinks at the time. 

Pay for normal airline, get low cost carrier service. Have seen many complaints for very slow drink cart as you have to pay for the alco drinks now.

I flew Cathay pacific in August . Direct to Hong Kong then a very short lay over - 90 mins - then 2 and a half hours to Bangkok . 

Best airline I have flown with, but directions given to transitioning customers at HK was poor.

Bummer

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Finnair because the HEL-BKK sector will be 9/10 hours so you can get a decent sleep.

All the ME3 carriers have the same flaw flying to SE Asia from Western Europe - two sectors of about 5/6 hours each which is just shit for sleeping/resting/relaxing.

Archived