IGNORED

Best place for celebratory Lunch

I have a few places in mind but thought I’d see what suggestions I got from some esteemed fellow BMs :)

It’s my birthday the day after arrive in a couple of weeks. I don’t make a huge fuss of this, not my thing, but the last few years I’ve been in Pattaya for my birthday and have had a nice dinner with a small group of friends - usually Patrick’s :P

Anyway, there are 2 World Cup Quarter Finals on my birthday this time - and these take priority  :rolleyes:

So, I thought I’d have a lunch with a few friends instead. I never really eat lunch in Pattaya so don’t really have first hand knowledge of too many places at this time. 

It’s also a Saturday, so I guess there may be different options to the week and some places will be busier.

We won’t be drinking with lunch so alcohol options don’t matter.

Any suggestions appreciated. As a guideline, western rather than Thai food would be best and I don’t eat seafood (though I do enjoy white fish).

Something a little upmarket for a civilised lunch. Flexible on price. Guess it’s usually 1200-1800 a head for us in Patrick’s. Preferably somewhere where bus loads of Chinese are NOT going to descend. :Cross_Fingers:

Thanks in advance.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Try Cherry’s at third rd ... one of my favourite restaurant. Patrick’s included . 

Smoking Joes for meat eaters

www.sugarcanemafia.com

Quite like Smokin' Joe's. I'll also put in a word for the Le Kitchen Restaurant in the LK Empress hotel. You can sit outside right on Beach Road or at tables inside the air conditioned lobby. Tried a few of their pasta dishes on my trip and enjoyed every one.

Thanks for suggestions so far.

Cherry looks interesting. Think I’ve looked at website once before but forgotten about it. It says Saturday is International Buffet with salad bar which is a definite possibility.

I’m afraid I’m a very fussy eater :rolleyes: so Smokin’ Joe’s is a no. I don’t eat ribs or pork (except bacon/ham) or burgers - so basically, any ‘American’ restaurant is off the list.

Le Kitchen looks ok but I’d probably prefer a fully enclosed restaurant.

I’ve checked the Hilton and Saturday is a BBQ so not really tempted.

Any different options are very welcome.

48 minutes ago, froddo said:

Smoking Joes for meat eaters

Really like that place. Nice treat 

Maybe try L'Auberge up on Pratumnak... French restaurant... many different dishes and cheeses. Definitely not your normal fare.

El Greco in Soi Bongkot is excellent. Great food that takes it time getting to you because it starts from scratch. Great starters and the lamb is terrific.

As much as I love all things Australian, I got to get me action of the asian persuasian.

24 minutes ago, tolstitree said:

Maybe try L'Auberge up on Pratumnak... French restaurant... many different dishes and cheeses. Definitely not your normal fare.

Yes, that’s definitely on my list of restaurants to try but I ‘think’ it’s evenings only. Thanks.

23 minutes ago, Ron Rat said:

El Greco in Soi Bongkot is excellent. Great food that takes it time getting to you because it starts from scratch. Great starters and the lamb is terrific.

Thanks. Probably not for my birthday, but certainly one I’ll add to my list to try sometime.

Probably should have said, I’m staying in Jomtien and friends on Pratumnak.

Quite happy to go somewhere in those areas or central Pattaya but don’t really want to travel to Naklua or beyond third road.

I think we’ll end up watching the football back in Jomtien in the evening.

In the afternoon, how about la baguette. Looks like they do food and the birthday boy can get some cake :Party1:

If you enjoy quality pasta/pizza, as well as a selection of the more classic Italian meat dishes, I strongly recommend the relatively new Buono Ristorante in Jomtien soi 4.

Although only open for 6 months or so, Chef Manuel (Max) has been in Pattaya for many years. He’s a really excellent award-winning pizzaiolo, his pasta is delicious too. Homemade focaccia bread. Great salads and starters. Delicious mushroom carpaccio, for one. Friendly, efficient service. Very sensible prices.

Even more ‘sensible’ prices are possible until the end of August by the way - they have a two for the price of one pizza and pasta offer on a special menu. Same quality, available from 2pm to 6pm. See pics (happiest hour menu is for the special, there is a normal full menu too).

Love this place. 

97B82E2F-5A81-44BB-BCE8-58BF9625942D.png

55AD7FEC-3867-400C-897E-5A66163B7E63.jpeg

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

26 minutes ago, socrates said:

What time will you be dining?

I’m guessing 2-ish. Possibly slightly earlier, but not much.

It’s the day after I arrive and I’m going to try and watch the game that kicks off at 1am, so I can’t see me surfacing particularly early!

9 minutes ago, TWD said:

If you enjoy quality pasta/pizza, as well as a selection of the more classic Italian meat dishes, I strongly recommend the relatively new Buono Ristorante in Jomtien soi 4.

Although only open for 6 months or so, Chef Manuel (Max) has been in Pattaya for many years. He’s a really excellent award-winning pizzaiolo, his pasta is delicious too. Homemade focaccia bread. Great salads and starters. Delicious mushroom carpaccio, for one. Friendly, efficient service. Very sensible prices.

Even more ‘sensible’ prices are possible until the end of August by the way - they have a two for the price of one pizza and pasta offer on a special menu. Same quality, available from 2pm to 6pm. See pics (happiest hour menu is for the special, there is a normal full menu too).

Love this place. 

97B82E2F-5A81-44BB-BCE8-58BF9625942D.png

55AD7FEC-3867-400C-897E-5A66163B7E63.jpeg

Thanks. Always interested in trying new places - and I like Italian. Even if I don’t get there on my birthday, I’ll certainly try it during my trip.

6 minutes ago, Uncle-V said:

Bruno's in Jomtien if you want to splurge.

Thanks. I ate there 2 or 3 times in July last year and enjoyed it. They had a low season special set menu then. Don’t know if they have it again this year?

The lunch sitting closes at 2.30 so I’ll have to see what time we end up eating.

5 minutes ago, davidge said:

Thanks. I ate there 2 or 3 times in July last year and enjoyed it. They had a low season special set menu then. Don’t know if they have it again this year?

The lunch sitting closes at 2.30 so I’ll have to see what time we end up eating.

Get the Waygu beef steak. It's your Bday and you only live once :))

May consider Devonshire or Sportsman on soi 13

15 hours ago, davidge said:

Cherry looks interesting. Think I’ve looked at website once before but forgotten about it. It says Saturday is International Buffet with salad bar which is a definite possibility.

As far as I know Cherry's buffet is in the evening only. And the price is way below the price range you mentioned. I would not really call it upmarket, though the food is not bad for the price.

If you are prepared to have your meal in the evening then you open up a large range of places that might suit. If you will accept a buffet rather than a plated meal then you also open up some more places.

You say that you rejected the Hilton but did you consider going in the evening? The meal is much more upmarket then and costs a fair bit more (but still well within your budget). And you should avoid the Chinese hordes also as they seem to mostly go at lunchtime.

Livv on the darkside is not hard to get to from Jomtien, and they offer discounts in the afternoon around the time you mention. It is upmarket and good.

L'Auberge is good and fairly upmarket. I like the Sunday cheese and cold cuts buffet, but that's evenings also.

Ruffino's restaurant on top of the Centara Pratumnak might be an idea, but again it's more of an evening destination.

But if I wanted to go somewhere nice on Saturday evening near Pratumnak, in your budget, then I would go to the Royal Cliff buffet. The selection includes seafood and many other things. The setting is sophisticated.

Other options on Saturday evening would be the Intercontinental next door, but I would probably go for the Royal Cliff given your other requirements.

All of those places are around your budget at the times I mentioned.

There are many more places at the north end of Pattaya, but you have ruled those out.

Some of the other places mentioned in this thread cannot really be described as "up-market", unless that means "a step up from the public market" in which case they certainly do qualify if only because they have air-con.

10 hours ago, TWD said:

Even more ‘sensible’ prices are possible until the end of August by the way - they have a two for the price of one pizza and pasta offer on a special menu. Same quality, available from 2pm to 6pm.

I wonder why restaurants have promotions that exclude people who eat alone? Makes no sense to me.

Same applies to airlines that do "2 for 1" promotions.

The world has many people who prefer to eat and travel alone. And what about groups of three or five?

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

As far as I know Cherry's buffet is in the evening only. And the price is way below the price range you mentioned. I would not really call it upmarket, though the food is not bad for the price.

If you are prepared to have your meal in the evening then you open up a large range of places that might suit. If you will accept a buffet rather than a plated meal then you also open up some more places.

You say that you rejected the Hilton but did you consider going in the evening? The meal is much more upmarket then and costs a fair bit more (but still well within your budget). And you should avoid the Chinese hordes also as they seem to mostly go at lunchtime.

Livv on the darkside is not hard to get to from Jomtien, and they offer discounts in the afternoon around the time you mention. It is upmarket and good.

L'Auberge is good and fairly upmarket. I like the Sunday cheese and cold cuts buffet, but that's evenings also.

Ruffino's restaurant on top of the Centara Pratumnak might be an idea, but again it's more of an evening destination.

But if I wanted to go somewhere nice on Saturday evening near Pratumnak, in your budget, then I would go to the Royal Cliff buffet. The selection includes seafood and many other things. The setting is sophisticated.

Other options on Saturday evening would be the Intercontinental next door, but I would probably go for the Royal Cliff given your other requirements.

All of those places are around your budget at the times I mentioned.

There are many more places at the north end of Pattaya, but you have ruled those out.

Some of the other places mentioned in this thread cannot really be described as "up-market", unless that means "a step up from the public market" in which case they certainly do qualify if only because they have air-con.

As I said, it will have to be lunch. We will be watching the World Cup QF in the evening :-)

That’s why I posted. I’m fairly familiar with evening options but never eat lunch, really, in Pattaya so was interested to see what options there were.

Thought maybe some of the better hotels may have lunch buffets or similar.

You may want to consider the Sandbar. As I am sure that you know, it is al fresca. But I find it to be pleasant weather wise being right on the beach. The menu and time of day checks your boxes and Stanly is a good guy to deal with. Good variety of Western and seafood. We had a surprise birthday party there for my friend's sister. Went very well, but that was night time. I think they are open at your stated time, but you should probably give them a call if you are interested.

On 23/06/2018 at 23:07, davidge said:

Yes the three course set lunch is still running at Bruno's. Comes to around 525฿ with tax and service. Still excellent value (also includes a bread basket, water, coffee and biscuits).

Starts at midday.

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

Archived