IGNORED

Buildiing an outdoor shelter

Butterflyman

I am considering building an outdoor shelter for my telac in Sutuk near Buriram. She is fed up with pattaya and wants to stay home. I bought her into a noddle shop which is going alright, and she also sell BBQ from her home. She wants a shelter erected outside because she is open to the elements.  I would like some advice from people with building experience in Thailand for some advice.

It will be a simple structure 4 steel uprights, wooden construction to support roof. Concrete base later if not now, Possible two walls for cooking area.         first thing is;

Any suggestion on build construction ie roof material,  steel support or an alternative? 

How much is a concrete slab 50 to 75 mm thick per sq meter?

Cost of steel roofing if no alternative and length as this will determine size?

block walling per sq metre?

Are there any building supplies companies that have a web site in English.

I am going to post this now before i lose it again.

Any question please ask?

edit I think i will use timber uprights rather than steel for obvious reasons! 

butterflyman

If you are not at the construction site, you pay farang price. I have build our home outsite Korat, and made many additions to it. I always buy the materials myselves, and have a have a quotation for the man working before starting. In the beginning I payed 300 bath a day, but the normal rate is now 500. But I was the supervisor, and tell them what to do. 

standard Thai use 3 meter pitch, so the poles are 3 meter from each other, and the roof 5.6 by 5.6 meter, to have cover from rain

For your construction you need concrete pole

The roof is supported by metal. and just use thin metal roof sheet.

Concrete floor 33 square meters, and two walls (no rendering).

Material cost 15 to 20 kBath

Manhours 5kBath

So total 20 to 25Kbath. Anything more and they are skrewing you.

Frank

1 hour ago, frankholland said:

butterflyman

If you are not at the construction site, you pay farang price. I have build our home outsite Korat, and made many additions to it. I always buy the materials myselves, and have a have a quotation for the man working before starting. In the beginning I payed 300 bath a day, but the normal rate is now 500. But I was the supervisor, and tell them what to do. 

standard Thai use 3 meter pitch, so the poles are 3 meter from each other, and the roof 5.6 by 5.6 meter, to have cover from rain

For your construction you need concrete pole

The roof is supported by metal. and just use thin metal roof sheet.

Concrete floor 33 square meters, and two walls (no rendering).

Material cost 15 to 20 kBath

Manhours 5kBath

So total 20 to 25Kbath. Anything more and they are skrewing you.

Frank

That hit the nail on the head in one go. So you recommend I buy martials and get builder in to build. 

What supplier do you recommend

You are not living there, then it get a little bit more complicated.

All villages have people who can build. Her family will know who. All larger village have local shops, where you can buy all the material needed. The problem start when they know a farang will pay, and someone in her family says that he can do it (and you can see the dollar signs in his eyes).

Let her and you make a sketch what you want. Let her contact a local builder (that are not companies, but someone who can do it. he will hire one or two more people). Let her ask him a price when he will buy all the materals, has the tooling, and does the work. If the price is acceptable, just go along. If the price is too much, ask how much for the builder do the work, and have the tooling, but you will buy the materials according a list he will make. If that is acceptable, let her go with the list to the local shop, and in a few hours the materials will brought. If that is still to high, you are skrewed. 

So more remarks about the build.

Metal support for the roof need welding equipment. Most local builders do not have this. So using wood would make it easier, but wood is 2 to 3 times more expensive as metal (per meter). 

I made a small error in my first story. When the beams have a pitch of 3 meter the roof will be about 5 by 5 meter.

You van make it cheaper by not having a concrete floor. Can always be done later.

So only the roof:

4 concrete poles. They will go 50cm in the ground, so two poles of 3 meter, and two of 2.5 meter. (so the rainwater can flow to the back   2000 Baht

Wood for the roofing basic is 4000 baht, but if the put wood around the roof add 2000 more.

Metal roof sheets. They have them in all length. If 5 meter is not available use 2.5 and 3 meter. about 2500 to 3000 baht

Some screws and nails and boults. 500 baht

2 people will put this together within a day (if they know what they are doing). 

Two walls for cooking.

If the ground is soft, they have to make a foundations (they will know how, but you need metal). 500 baht

150 to 200 blocks ( 5-6 baht each) 1000 baht

sand 500-700 baht

cement ( 5 to10 sacks) 600 to 1200 baht)

2 people can do this in 1 or 2 days.

So say 3 days together. material price about. 12000 to 15000 baht.

If a thai would make this, he will use three trunks for support. Small three trunks for roof support. He will not build two walls, but use roof sheets to keep the wind out. So he only have to buy roof sheets and some nails. The rest he gets from the Jungle.

Good luck with your project

Archived