Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Songkran restaurant closings and staff holiday policies (owners?)

Pattaya Songkran is different than the rest of Thailand because it lasts for so long and the peak days are different.

I stay for Songkran and haven't had much problem finding restaurants open except for the ending peak days. 

I know hotel, very large, and mall restaurants are most open throughout but this is a more general question, more to help out a non-Thai owner that I know that is new here and doesn't know how to deal with this with her staff. 

I've noticed some restaurants close for a very long time during this period and I think many times travel to their home provinces. But I don't think most.

So what is generally customary for restaurants to do and are there legal obligations for the staff for these holidays?

The dates for this year are --

Official National Holiday Days

12th to 16th Immigration is closed

For restaurants, if you're open during these days, are you supposed to provide extra holiday pay?

Is there any good reason to close on these days in Pattaya, because in most parts of town there isn't much water throwing then?

The peak day for Pattaya is the 19th. I think most places are closed that day. But the 18th is a buildup day. Are restaurants closing on the 18th too? What about holiday pay for those dates?

I know I've asked a lot of questions for owners, but this information about closings can matter to customers also. 

The Hole in the wall or tin cup is closed till after songkran.

Saw on FB that Dave's Cantina is closed 12-30 April and reopening on 1 May

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, stubby said:

Not on the ground at present, always avoid Songkran but although slightly dearer suggest Tin Cup lovers try Thai Thai near the top of Soi 15. Think they are open?

Bangkok is the best option for Songkran. Sensible splashing and only 5 days or so with evenings being calm.

Pattaya is a frigging nightmare!

12 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Bangkok is the best option for Songkran. Sensible splashing and only 5 days or so with evenings being calm.

Pattaya is a frigging nightmare!

Whats that got do with restaurants?

Whats that got do with restaurants?

Here's a tip. Most hole in the wall places may shut. Most bigger resteraunts with high rents will open.

There will be a zillion choices across Thailand and yes even Pattaya.

Bangkok will obviously be open especially in mongering areas. Staff that stay on will be paid a bonus. I know many owners.. It's just how it is

Any more questions? It's not Rocket science.

Staying at VT6 I relied on the food court in Central Festival, especially during Songkran.  Kiss is usually open but the food and service is rather ha-sip ha-sip.  And you will get wet trying to get there.  

If I remember right Bronx pizza was closed last Songkran, but they moved couple of Times now and that new location is not a songkran hotspot like their old location on soi diana

8 hours ago, stubby said:

currently have part of the floor dug up working on the drains

Yes closed for reno's but were closed last year to go to village plus having the cooking in front=hot oil and water don't mix!

Deli diner next to tukcom closed for whole April, sign said they will open 1st of may

On 4/5/2018 at 09:18, stubby said:

work continues with new canopy and improved chimney/venting

5accac251c095_april10009(Custom).JPG.dbbaceb0199e156514b720f5768bcfaf.JPG

Steak & Co and Smokin' Joe's BBQ will remain 'open as usual until the 19th April', on the main day both will open at 18.00 pm, 20th normal service resumes.  (Steak & Co 12.00 noon til 22.30 and Smokin' Joe's BBQ 8.00 am - 22.30pm). 

• 2 weeks later...

this one had to close because drunken stupid falangs throwing water and boiling hot oil cooking fish do not mix

5ad9f7b37d221_april20043(Custom).JPG.81d15ece696a6d7ed9738e51e0503994.JPG

5ad9f7c93393e_april20044(Custom).JPG.d12f34adf7d9b7494e5e062a1f121243.JPG

Archived